Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sxl is driven 2k yearly at average speed around 45 mph. Could changing oil once yearly affect the warranty should the engine fail. I know the manual says change at 6 months. I have read that warranty is not voided based on oil change intervals. Its not the $45.00 cost, just inconvenience of spending hours at the shop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to let the Kia service dept that sold me the car do oil changes and maintenance on the car

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
64 Posts
The engine has a lifetime warranty on the long block due to the recall. Long as you arnt super hard on the thing it wont matter to much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if yours is a four cylinder....
Pull out the dipstick and check the dipstick oil level every 500-1000 miles. Do not let the oil get more than a half quart low. Change it every 4k, no matter how long the oil change sticker on your windshield says.
The dealer may allow you 5k. Still change it every 4k.
Cheaper to do it yourself and save receipts with odometer miles marked down on the back of the receipt.

Reactions: Bob2C

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,036 Posts
You do realize OP indicated his car is driven 2K miles per year--therefore based on your suggestion of a 4K OCI OP should change the oil every TWO years? Since OP stated his car is an SXL it means it has the 2.0T engine--per 2018 Kia Owner's Manual oil change for the 2.0T is every 6500 miles or every 12 months. Also if we were to assume that OP's car is a 2018, then it's still definitely under the 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty, thus telling OP to get an oil change essentially every 2 years is not the wisest advice.

OP--I have a 2018 SXL just like you so I know what I'm talking about when I suggest to you that the best course of action for your SXL as far as maintaining your factory powertrain warranty is concerned is to have the oil changed every 6500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. If indeed you put only 2K miles on your SXL per year, then changing the oil every 4K miles is not the way to go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Only 2k per year?.... yes, change yearly, not at 4k (two years).
All city driving with long idles?.... change every six months.
Best to keep carbon buildup and fuel dilution-contaminants to a minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts