Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've become a proud owner of a 2018 Kia Optima LX (My first Kia!). I love almost everything about it except I've been running into a bit of issues with road noise bothering me enough that my ears ache a little bit after driving it for 30 mins +. I've talked to the dealership and they've even driven it around and hear no issues. I'm looking to probably replace the tires and see if this would help. Do you have any recommendations to reducing the noise? It comes with Kelly Edge A/S tires. If anyone has any recommendations on tires, I would love to hear what you would put on this Optima to help with the noise.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,781 Posts
Cabin noise is an apparent issue in the Optima, know ours leaves a lot to be desired:

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,952 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Congratulations on picking up your 2018 Optima LX.

For many members, the tires are the number one issue when it comes to road noise.

I would definitely start there to see if that addresses the issue before looking into something else.

Hope to see you around the forum, let us know if there’s anything we can help you find.

-David

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
23 Posts
We have a 2019 hybrid. The general cabin noise seems average compared to other low end cars, except debris under the car. Driving down a paved , sanded road sounds like we're being hit by hundreds of Taliban IEDs. We hear none of that on the same road in our old 2007 Fusion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cabin noise is an apparent issue in the Optima, know ours leaves a lot to be desired:
Bummer! I appreciate the reply. I'm going to replace the tires and go from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Congratulations on picking up your 2018 Optima LX.

For many members, the tires are the number one issue when it comes to road noise.

I would definitely start there to see if that addresses the issue before looking into something else.

Hope to see you around the forum, let us know if there’s anything we can help you find.

-David
Thanks! I appreciate the welcome. I'm going to start with that first. I really hope that helps. It's weird that it's only affecting me but it doesn't surprise me because I have sensitive ears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great to hear! I'm going to replace my tires today and I'm hoping that helps out a lot. I'm pretty optimistic that it will. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of tires do you have?

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,490 Posts
The Kelly Edge A/S tires are budget tires and are known for above average road noise. :( Replacing them with a quality tire and one known to be more quiet will help. Also as tires (all) wear down, they produce more road noise than new. FYI

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's great to hear! I'm going to replace my tires today and I'm hoping that helps out a lot. I'm pretty optimistic that it will. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of tires do you have?
They are the ones that were on it when we purchased it. I will check them out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
135 Posts
Have these cars been improved since 2016? My SX-L is quite noisy, even for the segment IMO. And it came stock with Michelin MXM4 tires, which are one of the quietest 'grand touring all-season' tires. There's a new quieter model, which will buy when the time comes (probably later this year), but doubt they'll make a noticeable difference. Cabin noise is tolerable on regular asphalt and concrete, but on rough asphalt, which is prevalent in the desert southwest, it's deafening sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our 2019 Kia Optima came from the factory with NPRIZ AH8 NEXEN 205/65R16 tires. As I said, our Optima is very quiet and smooth riding.
Thanks for letting me know on the tires! Maybe I just need to upgrade to a 2019 model, lol. I did get the tires replaced with Goodyear Assurance Comfort Touring tires. That has helped a ton! There is still just a bit of noise that I can tell but it's not to the point where I was needing to wear earplugs with the Kelly tires. Other than that, I'm loving this ride. I may pursue other options to dampen the sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Kelly Edge A/S tires are budget tires and are known for above average road noise. :( Replacing them with a quality tire and one known to be more quiet will help. Also as tires (all) wear down, they produce more road noise than new. FYI
Thanks! I did replace them with Goodyear Assurance Comfort tires and they have made a big difference. Still dealing with some cabin noise but it's not like it was when I was dealing with the Kellys. I had to wear earplugs while driving because they would give me an earache with the noise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts