Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
Not sure which version/copy of the manual you have but in the owners manual that came with my 2018 Optima, on page 9-5 ("Tires and Wheels") it gives the wheel lug nut torque specs--11-13 Kgf-m, 79-94 lb-ft, 107-127 N-m, depending on your unit of choice.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
Actually it should be "lb-ft" (or more accurately, lbf-ft); ft-lb is a measurement of work (i.e., scalar measurement), typically used when calculating horsepower whereas lb-ft is a vector measurement (measurement of torque) and would be the correct unit of choice when it comes to wheel lug nut tightening specs. ;)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,397 Posts
Hope I didn't confuse the OP using Ft-lb, but looks like I'm not the only one. Guess you'd better start sending emails to correct the terminology:

Didn't want to copy the entire Mazda owner's manual:
Wheel nut tightening torque
When installing a tire, tighten the wheel nut to the following torque. 108—147 N•m (12—14 kgf•m, 80—108 ft•lbf)

I'm tired, time for dinner.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
940 Posts
Torque can be expressed as "foot-pounds", but the unit measurement for torque itself is represented as "lbf-ft", so yes you can say foot-pounds (as in, "80 foot-pounds") but it is represented in print as lbf-ft (e.g., 80 lbf-ft). Semantics, I suppose...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts