Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been Searching around here and online, and can't find any info I'm looking for. I drive a 2018 Optima EX.

I'm interested in the Optima Store's LED headlight kit or others if people have recommendations. I may or may not go for the upgrade. However, I have some questions regarding this:

Will this void warranty?
Does using LEDs affect the car's other electronics and battery in any way?
Is it worth to switch out the reflector high beams in addition to the projector low beams?
What is the bulb I use for each?
Are there any installation guides?
Is there a benefit in lumination distance?

I'm willing pay extra for higher quality LED's. I see a lot of aftermarket LED/HID headlights, LED taillights, turn signals, and switchbacks on other cars around where I live that look horrible. I want it look natural, like it came stock. (There's a Nissan Maxima that commutes on the same freeway as me each morning, and his aftermarket LED headlights look good. The only reason I know they aftermarket is because I know his SV trim comes with Halogens)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Well we can definitely help you with this.

#1 No, nothing you install on your vehicle will "automatically" void your warranty. (Unless said modification damages another component on the vehicle)

#2 We do not sell LED headlamps for the high beams, only the low beams.

#3 The majority if not all of the 2016-2018 models we have seen use the 9005/HB3 halogen bulbs for the lowbeams

#4 This is just a bulb swap, so the entire process is 100% plug & play, and usually no installation guide is necessary.

#5 Both of the two LED kits linked below will offer greater illumination distance than the halogen bulbs you have now.

Awesome, than you have come to the right place then. While there are many many different LED kits you can find all over the internet, we have worked with the manufacturer of both of the LED kits we sell to offer one of the best quality kits on the market. Not only do they both come with a warranty, but if you were to have any issues, we are always easy to get ahold of by email, telephone, or private messaging here on the forum.

Here are the two current LED kits we offer on our site which are both compatible on the 2016-2018 Kia Optima, as well as the older 2011-2015 models.

RGB LED Color Changing Headlight or Fog Light Kit - K5 Optima Store

6,000 Lumen CREE LED Headlight or Fog Light Kit - K5 Optima Store

If you have any questions at all, or need assistance, feel free to reach out anytime.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well we can definitely help you with this.

#1 No, nothing you install on your vehicle will "automatically" void your warranty. (Unless said modification damages another component on the vehicle)

#2 We do not sell LED headlamps for the high beams, only the low beams.

#3 The majority if not all of the 2016-2018 models we have seen use the 9005/HB3 halogen bulbs for the lowbeams

#4 This is just a bulb swap, so the entire process is 100% plug & play, and usually no installation guide is necessary.

#5 Both of the two LED kits linked below will offer greater illumination distance than the halogen bulbs you have now.

Awesome, than you have come to the right place then. While there are many many different LED kits you can find all over the internet, we have worked with the manufacturer of both of the LED kits we sell to offer one of the best quality kits on the market. Not only do they both come with a warranty, but if you were to have any issues, we are always easy to get ahold of by email, telephone, or private messaging here on the forum.

Here are the two current LED kits we offer on our site which are both compatible on the 2016-2018 Kia Optima, as well as the older 2011-2015 models.

RGB LED Color Changing Headlight or Fog Light Kit - K5 Optima Store

6,000 Lumen CREE LED Headlight or Fog Light Kit - K5 Optima Store

If you have any questions at all, or need assistance, feel free to reach out anytime.
Just ordered the 9005 LED bulbs from the K5 Optima Store. Will post update after I install them. Didn't really want to spend the money now, but saving $30 thanks to the holiday sale for an upgrade I was planning to do anyway is worth it.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
574 Posts
Just ordered the 9005 LED bulbs from the K5 Optima Store. Will post update after I install them. Didn't really want to spend the money now, but saving $30 thanks to the holiday sale for an upgrade I was planning to do anyway is worth it.

Be sure and do some before and after pics for others thinking about the upgrade!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts

Awesome, thank you for your order with us, we will make sure to have it shipped out today for you.

You're very welcome, my pleasure.

Be sure and do some before and after pics for others thinking about the upgrade!
This isn't a bad idea at all!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Awesome, thank you for your order with us, we will make sure to have it shipped out today for you.

You're very welcome, my pleasure.

This isn't a bad idea at all!
Got it the next day, installed it that night. Just got around to getting a few pics off my phone.

In my excitement, I forgot to take before pictures, but I'll still give an overview of improvements:
-More distinct cut off
-More clear, white light
-More reflectivity

I'd say the "reach" of the LED's don't seem necessarily better(The stock halogens performed pretty decent in that regard) but this does make the areas that the low beams cover way more clear and visible. Overall, I'm a happy camper. I've been making excuses to drive at night just use them and show them off.

The slope of my driveway is pretty steep, so the headlights don't reach far in the pictures, but it should show what I mean.

IMG_3323.jpg
IMG_3327.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
7 Posts
I think I got the bug too. However, I have a 2016 SXL, with HID displacement. Then I found out 2017 and newer came with LEDs. I considered trading up for a 2017 or 2018 for that reason. Can I swap out the HID lights for the LEDs? The LEDs are much whiter and crisp looking. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I got the bug too. However, I have a 2016 SXL, with HID displacement. Then I found out 2017 and newer came with LEDs. I considered trading up for a 2017 or 2018 for that reason. Can I swap out the HID lights for the LEDs? The LEDs are much whiter and crisp looking. Any advise would be appreciated.
As long as it has a standard headlight connector, it should work. You just need to know what type of bulb your headlight assembly takes. IIRC, the 2016 SXL’s HIDs function as the low and high beams as one bulb, so you’ll be fully LED in one go. On my Optima, I still have halogen high beams. (although these seem to perform well enough.)

It sucks that they made the high beams reflectors on the 2018 EX’s vs the 2017 EX’s though.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
574 Posts
Got it the next day, installed it that night. Just got around to getting a few pics off my phone.

In my excitement, I forgot to take before pictures, but I'll still give an overview of improvements:
-More distinct cut off
-More clear, white light
-More reflectivity

I'd say the "reach" of the LED's don't seem necessarily better(The stock halogens performed pretty decent in that regard) but this does make the areas that the low beams cover way more clear and visible. Overall, I'm a happy camper. I've been making excuses to drive at night just use them and show them off.

The slope of my driveway is pretty steep, so the headlights don't reach far in the pictures, but it should show what I mean.

View attachment 229609
View attachment 229617
Good color there. They look a lot like my 2017's LED's. :thumbsup:

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts

-More distinct cut off
-More clear, white light
-More reflectivity

View attachment 229609
View attachment 229617
Awesome, these look great installed on your 2018 Kia Optima.

Again, thank you for your order with us, and if you don't mind, could you also post these pics and info in our forum thread below? It helps others to see before ordering them.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/233-k5os-led-hid-lighting/135729-6-000-lumen-cree-led-headlight-fog-light-kit-k5-optima-store.html

Actually, you are much better off with factory HIDs, then you would be swapping them for aftermarket LED.

There is a huge difference in OEM LED headlamps that are designed to be used with LED headlights, vs installing aftermarket LED headlights into a headlamp designed for halogen or HIDs.

It would be very expensive for you to swap out the entire headlamp assemblies with the OEM LED ones that became available on the 2018 models.

However, if possible (meaning they are the same exact size and can be swapped over) we can look into the pricing for you. (Just send me an email with this request for pricing to [email protected])

There is also an alternative option which is much much easier, and a lot more cost effective as well.

There is only (1) set of HID bulbs on the market available that are brighter and better quality than the OEM ones you have now that came on the car.

Those are the OSRAM CBI D3S HID Bulbs that we sell on our site here: OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI HID D3S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store

These will have 20% more light output then your stock HID bulbs, while producing a pure white color, instead of the yellowish 4,300k color you have now.

These are also on sale until midnight tonight for nearly $40 off with free shipping: $161.45 shipped, instead of $199.95

As long as it has a standard headlight connector, it should work. You just need to know what type of bulb your headlight assembly takes. IIRC, the 2016 SXL’s HIDs function as the low and high beams as one bulb, so you’ll be fully LED in one go. On my Optima, I still have halogen high beams. (although these seem to perform well enough.)

It sucks that they made the high beams reflectors on the 2018 EX’s vs the 2017 EX’s though.
Unfortunately, removing the OEM factory HIDs, and installing aftermarket LED bulbs in it's place would be a downgrade in terms of brightness and overall disbursement.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Awesome, these look great installed on your 2018 Kia Optima.

Again, thank you for your order with us, and if you don't mind, could you also post these pics and info in our forum thread below? It helps others to see before ordering them.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/233-k5os-led-hid-lighting/135729-6-000-lumen-cree-led-headlight-fog-light-kit-k5-optima-store.html

Actually, you are much better off with factory HIDs, then you would be swapping them for aftermarket LED.

There is a huge difference in OEM LED headlamps that are designed to be used with LED headlights, vs installing aftermarket LED headlights into a headlamp designed for halogen or HIDs.

It would be very expensive for you to swap out the entire headlamp assemblies with the OEM LED ones that became available on the 2018 models.

However, if possible (meaning they are the same exact size and can be swapped over) we can look into the pricing for you. (Just send me an email with this request for pricing to [email protected])

There is also an alternative option which is much much easier, and a lot more cost effective as well.

There is only (1) set of HID bulbs on the market available that are brighter and better quality than the OEM ones you have now that came on the car.

Those are the OSRAM CBI D3S HID Bulbs that we sell on our site here: OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI HID D3S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store

These will have 20% more light output then your stock HID bulbs, while producing a pure white color, instead of the yellowish 4,300k color you have now.

These are also on sale until midnight tonight for nearly $40 off with free shipping: $161.45 shipped, instead of $199.95

Unfortunately, removing the OEM factory HIDs, and installing aftermarket LED bulbs in it's place would be a downgrade in terms of brightness and overall disbursement.

Thats is exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you so much for breaking that down for me. I’ll take your advise and follow what you said. When I get them, i’ll post the results. Thanks again for the excellent advise. Much appreciated.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Thats is exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you so much for breaking that down for me. I’ll take your advise and follow what you said. When I get them, i’ll post the results. Thanks again for the excellent advise. Much appreciated.
You're so very welcome. Awesome, happy to hear it. Make sure to get your order in some time in the next 4.5 hours before the sale ends. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies if its been asked before, but I have been thinking about upgrading to LED lighs in my 2016 Optima LX, though I have seen/heard of other cars having some issues. Are LEDs compatible with the factory headlights I have?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Apologies if its been asked before, but I have been thinking about upgrading to LED lighs in my 2016 Optima LX, though I have seen/heard of other cars having some issues. Are LEDs compatible with the factory headlights I have?
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

We would be happy to help you with this.

LED headlights are compatible on the 2016 Optima LX, since all Optima models come equipped with projector style headlights.

Check these out on our website here: K5 Optima Store - RGB LED Color Changing Headlight or Fog Light Kit

Let us know if you have any questions.

-David

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
425 Posts
Any vehicle can equip LEDs.

As long as the fitment matches up, go for it.

I swear by Hikari LEDs, as they are the brightest I've ever used, and destroy all competition.

You'll likely want to add in a voltage stabilizer to reduce flicker as well.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Any vehicle can equip LEDs. As long as the fitment matches up, go for it.
Well this is true to an extent. If the vehicle does not come equipped with projector lenses, (which many vehicles without HID/LED do not) then installing LEDs will blind oncoming traffic and cause issues.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
425 Posts
Well this is true to an extent. If the vehicle does not come equipped with projector lenses, (which many vehicles without HID/LED do not) then installing LEDs will blind oncoming traffic and cause issues.
Fair enough. But, responsible drivers re-tune their headlamps after any upgrades.

Rule of thumb: The headlamp cutoff should be between 28 and 30 inches off the ground @ 30 feet, regardless of what you're running.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Fair enough. But, responsible drivers re-tune their headlamps after any upgrades.

Rule of thumb: The headlamp cutoff should be between 28 and 30 inches off the ground @ 30 feet, regardless of what you're running.
No way to "re-tune" an LED bulb in a non projector fixture, as it is NOT designed for LED or HID and the light will blind oncoming drivers. (At least not that I have ever seen)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts