Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into an accident with an 18 wheeler the other day, rear ended in the rain. Seems like they will need to replace literally the entire rear half of the car. Meaning the trunk, tail lights, left quarter panel, bumper, and even windshield. Factoring in the backup camera, sensors, and hooking in a new back windshield to make it a defroster, does anyone think it’s totaled? It’s an 18LX with just over 18,000 miles on it. I’ve searched multiples places and some that aren’t as bad have been totaled, and some aren’t. Wanna know if it’s even worth thinking about keeping(less value for trade in, will it drive the same).

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
First, with a rear hit, hope everybody OK as a shock like that can cause "whiplash" and take quit a while to get back to normal with lingering problems for years.
Not being able to see if qtrs. were pushed forward and closed the rear door to qtr gap, or if the C pillar was damaged, but I'd say if repairs total @ $12000 it would be totaled, but as being hit high probably fixable. If the hit were lower, directly on the bumper, I'd say totaled as the floor pans would be buckled.
If fixed shouldn't be a problem with driveability, but demand diminished value, the difference for the car's value before an accident and value after.

Hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
I hope you guys are ok! The car can be replaced. Honestly, I'd say it's a total.

Reactions: craigbrooks

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Indeed, hope that you/everybody involved is ok; ultimately only the insurance adjuster can decide if your vehicle is a total loss but like Turbonut said, if insurance decides to repair then make sure you can claim diminished vehicle value as well.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,677 Posts
Wow, I am sorry to see this.

As others have mentioned, I hope everyone involved is ok.

If I had to guess, I would think it would be totaled for sure, but could be wrong.

I personally would not want the car to be repaired if it were my vehicle, I would push to have it totaled.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I agree with others. Push insurance to total it. They get paid to fight the other insurance company. Good luck. I'm sorry that happened.
I presume that by "they" you are suggesting to the OP that he/she ask their own insurance company to work with the other insurance company in trying to get the other company to total it; if so, then that would require the OP to file/open a claim against their own insurance company in order to "force" them to work with the other company since given the circumstances OP would not even be involving their own insurance in this matter since OP's own insurance company would not have a reason to get involved given that OP was not the one at fault.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
^Only if they want to get it fixed fast and not deal with the other company. Get if fixed under collision, pay the deductible, then your company will deal with the other company and no hassle.
Have done it a few times with the cars and I never needed to bother with the other company as far as repairs. Even medical bills would come from my company here in Jersey, no fault, but only if no threshold, then the debate for personal injury compensation begins with the other company and if no amount agreed upon, then the lawsuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts