Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HATE my brakes. Way to sensitive brakes especially at low, low speeds. Seriously considering trading. Has anyone had this issue and if yes, were you able to make brakes less sensitive?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
19 Posts
Might be worth it to have the dealership look at it to make sure there isn't a problem (sticking brake, overfilled fluid, pad contamination). My optima has some strong brakes but it only took me a day or two to adjust to them

·
Registered
54 Posts
I HATE my brakes. Way to sensitive brakes especially at low, low speeds. Seriously considering trading. Has anyone had this issue and if yes, were you able to make brakes less sensitive?
You want to lose thousands on a trade-in, because of sensitive brakes that you never mentioned being diagnosed by the dealer?

Are you serious? Or do you have that much money to blow?

Reactions: SilverScorpion28

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will take a sensitive brake system any day over soft or spongey brakes. If I can stop faster with no or little fade I would be happy.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,919 Posts
You might want to look at your other vehicles, and flush their brake fluid and add new brake fluid.

I'm guessing that you got used to spongy brakes on other cars, so that when you use the brakes on the Optima it feels wrong. Kind of like when you go skiing for a day, afterward your legs feel wrong when you walk in normal shoes instead of ski boots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a new national recall. I haven't serviced mine yet, but I suggest you look into it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You want to lose thousands on a trade-in, because of sensitive brakes that you never mentioned being diagnosed by the dealer?

Are you serious? Or do you have that much money to blow?
I have discussed with dealer several times with no results. This is a known issue with my car. Have seen comments many times on both user and professional reviews. Now considering another vehicle a couple of years old to lessen the financial impact. I had planned to keep the car for 10 years (bought the warranty “wrap”). I don’t want to live with this for another eight years. Should a solution be found, I would love to keep the car.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
19 Posts
If the dealer has other optima's around the same year on the lot for sale maybe take one for a test drive to see if they have touchy brakes like yours. Or you might try taking your car to a different dealership to see if they can find anything wrong.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,919 Posts
I have discussed with dealer several times with no results. This is a known issue with my car. Have seen comments many times on both user and professional reviews. ...
Could you point us to an example review that criticizes the brakes? I tried a quick Google search but didn't seem to find any. I saw mention of a recall for 2019 brake issue, but that was because the auto braking would sometimes not apply, which seems the opposite of your situation.

I can't help but think maybe your dealer is just trying not to diagnose your brakes, and maybe you have a legitimate brake issue that is causing the brakes to behave outside their intended function?

But generally would you describe the problem as the brakes just working too well? or is there something about them that makes it jerky or uncomfortable or random?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2D5AD9CA-3392-4850-86D3-A621B65328C0.png
Could you point us to an example review that criticizes the brakes? I tried a quick Google search but didn't seem to find any. I saw mention of a recall for 2019 brake issue, but that was because the auto braking would sometimes not apply, which seems the opposite of your situation.

I can't help but think maybe your dealer is just trying not to diagnose your brakes, and maybe you have a legitimate brake issue that is causing the brakes to behave outside their intended function?

But generally would you describe the problem as the brakes just working too well? or is there something about them that makes it jerky or uncomfortable or random?
Here’s just one expert review from Edmond’s

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the dealer has other optima's around the same year on the lot for sale maybe take one for a test drive to see if they have touchy brakes like yours. Or you might try taking your car to a different dealership to see if they can find anything wrong.
Thanks for your input. I shall ask dealer for a test drive in another Optima.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

1 - 13 of 13 Posts