Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys, recently purchased a 2018 1.6T optima lx & was wondering if any of you guys experience shuddering with it? Whenever I slowly take off you can literally feel it shake throughout the whole car. Whenever I have some buddies in it even they feel it, and tell me dude you got to get that checked. Sucks when you buy a new car and it feels like total **** when driving lol. I’ve taken it into the dealer multiple times just for them to tell me the same stuff, “oh that’s how the car is” etc. just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this problem?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
DCT transmission is terrible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DCT transmission is terrible.
Literally makes me want to get rid of this car..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
You're not alone, but it is what it is, just drive the car as depreciation is terrible unless you got a great deal when buying the car.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,945 Posts
**** that sucks, do you guys think it is 100% the transmission, or possibly something with the suspension?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima 1.6T LX
12 Posts
I think it is the dual clutch system. Seems like I read one clutch is used for gears 1,3,5, and 7, the other clutch is used for Reverse and the even numbered gears. In reading, seems like one clutch engages from a stop or near stop for 2nd gear and reverse. If you go slow enough or are at a complete stop, then the "other" clutch engages or activates? If this is correct, my 2nd gear and reverse clutch is fine and smooth. The other clutch for 1st gear engagements shudders some of the time. More so when the engine is cold and has been sitting over the weekend. Sometimes it clears up and acts fine. Usually it is pretty good once the car is warmed up. I swear I have noticed a difference, meaning it can be better, if in Eco or Sport mode, at times. So I can't exactly tell if it is software/programming or an actual physical problem with the clutch, such a a warped pressure plate? Go find a good uphill slope, stop on the hill, put selector in manual position so it won't shift, and do multiple uphill starts in 1st gear. See what it feels like. Usually mine is warmed up by then and is not bad. But pulling out of a slight uphill in my driveway in the morning can be hideous and jerky. Seems worse because the engine is not warmed up yet and isn't running as smoothly as clutch engages. If you figure out how to get Kia to do something about it, let me know! Seems like all the service people are clueless unless an error code or whatever is detected when they hook it up to the computer. I guarantee if they had a clutch vibration sensor, mine would throw a code almost every morning!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
Kia did find a way to correct the condition, they stopped producing the trans, at least in the "regular" 2021 Optima.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts