Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New owner checking in with a concerning discovery on a new to me Kia Optima Plug In Hybrid. It's a 2017 CPO with just under 30,000 miles. Carfax showed very regular maintenance during the previous owners lease. I was checking around and saw a very milky residue under the oil filler cap...is this concerning? Dipstick oil is a nice amber clear oil.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
It is moisture for sure. Question is how did it get there?

Is it Only on the cap and not in oil? Pull the dipstick to find out.

Could be as simple as temp changes in atmosphere and/or not being driven long enough to burn off the moisture.

Or could be more serious like a head gasket leak. Besides normal moisture burn off in exhaust pipe in the mornings (only lasts a few minutes - does it continue emitting steam for extended periods of time?

Cleaning engine with a power sprayer can get moisture into all kinds of places, I never clean an engine on the Outside.
Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is moisture for sure. Question is how did it get there?

Is it Only on the cap and not in oil? Pull the dipstick to find out.

Could be as simple as temp changes in atmosphere and/or not being driven long enough to burn off the moisture.

Or could be more serious like a head gasket leak. Besides normal moisture burn off in exhaust pipe in the mornings (only lasts a few minutes - does it continue emitting steam for extended periods of time?

Cleaning engine with a power sprayer can get moisture into all kinds of places, I never clean an engine on the Outside.
Luck.
Thanks for the reply!

I did immediately check the dipstick and let a good drip fall off on my fingers and it was nice golden clear oil, Thank God. Of course only having the car for about a week I've been really going hard on EV mode as much as possible but it is also very cold so every now and then I need some heat but I try to keep it at EV as long as possible so probably not able to burn off any condensation. I don't suspect that the dealership did a heavy spray in the engine bay as there was dust here and there. Going to monitor it and wipe out the gunk as I see it accumulating under the cap but everything seems to run smooth so far.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
174 Posts
Hello everyone,

New owner checking in with a concerning discovery on a new to me Kia Optima Plug In Hybrid. It's a 2017 CPO with just under 30,000 miles. Carfax showed very regular maintenance during the previous owners lease. I was checking around and saw a very milky residue under the oil filler cap...is this concerning? Dipstick oil is a nice amber clear oil. View attachment 249697
I'd put a new pcv valve in they're cheap and see if it's any different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After you engine turns off there is heat in the there it’s not a totally sealed system from air you open it to add oil check it and so on some moisture can collect on the oil cap now if you changed oil and it’s milky color now you have a problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
I seen it under oil caps before just little bubbles it alittle condensation in the crank case that builds up on cover. First time I asked about it when I saw it was told it’s normal as long as it not excessive and you don’t see water in you oil when you change it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts