Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima sx turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 optima sx with the panoramic sunroof, no mechanical or cosmetic issues however yesterday I was on the freeway when the sunroof opened by its left. I tried closing it immediately but the buttons weren’t responding. I pulled over, turned the car off and on and was able to use the button to close the window and shade but now it won’t open anymore.
Kia quoted me $150 for diagnostic so I really want to figure it out :(.
I also tried the reset method and didn’t work

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,675 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Adrianm

Sorry to hear about this issue you're experiencing. I have never heard of it opening up on it's own while driving.

Unfortunately, without someone taking a look at it, I don't think anyone on the forum will be able to help with the issue.

You could always try a private mechanic instead, but since the car is still under warranty, I would try another dealer.

They should not be charging you for a 4 or 5 year old car when still under warranty to inspect it after this happened.

You can also try calling Kia corporate and explaining the situation & let them know you don't feel like you should have to pay anything.

Sometimes they can put pressure on the dealer to make an exception and waive that fee for you. Good luck!

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima sx turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Adrianm

Sorry to hear about this issue you're experiencing. I have never heard of it opening up on it's own while driving.

Unfortunately, without someone taking a look at it, I don't think anyone on the forum will be able to help with the issue.

You could always try a private mechanic instead, but since the car is still under warranty, I would try another dealer.

They should not be charging you for a 4 or 5 year old car when still under warranty to inspect it after this happened.

You can also try calling Kia corporate and explaining the situation & let them know you don't feel like you should have to pay anything.

Sometimes they can put pressure on the dealer to make an exception and waive that fee for you. Good luck!

-David
K5 Optima Store
Thanks a lot David!
I didn’t even think about that but will have to give it a try since I purchased it 6 months ago from Honda.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,675 Posts
Thanks a lot David!
I didn’t even think about that but will have to give it a try since I purchased it 6 months ago from Honda.
Absolutely, you're very welcome, and yes this is something they should cover for you for sure. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima sx turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2017 optima sx with the panoramic sunroof, no mechanical or cosmetic issues however yesterday I was on the freeway when the sunroof opened by its left. I tried closing it immediately but the buttons weren’t responding. I pulled over, turned the car off and on and was able to use the button to close the window and shade but now it won’t open anymore.
Kia quoted me $150 for diagnostic so I really want to figure it out :(.
I also tried the reset method and didn’t work
Update
I’m able to open and close the sunroof after holding the button in the closed position for a few seconds. It’s weird, changing the fuses today to see if that does the trick!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
There should be a sunroof reset procedure, where you hold the buttons or press them in a series or something. That might help if there is nothing mechanically broken.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts
Per KingFatty post above ........

Reactions: bjopling
1 - 7 of 7 Posts