Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drove 30 miles away from home, parked the car, and when she came back out to it and pushed the start button it threw a lot of "Check Brake" "ABS" and other warning lights on the dash immediately.

When she checked the brake fluid level, it was dead empty. I bought a bottle of DOT4, and drove up to get her (hoping that if it was a slow leak somewhere I could nurse the car back home). But after dropping the entire bottle of DOT4 in when I started the car up and pumped the brake pedal she yelled "It's pouring out the back!". She wasn't wrong:

All thoughts of nursing it home dissapeared and I had it towed.

The phone app also alerted with two errors that I figure mean "you've got no brake fluid, and no brake fluid pressure"
C123602 Hpa Low Pressure Error
C123302 Hpa Short Term Charge Error
BrakeFailureCodes_20210316-152639.png

The dealer is still investigating, but a tech thinks it's a "cracked caliper piston".

So, some questions I have:
1) Is this common? I've never seen a brake failure this bad before, especially on a 3 year old vehicle. The car was originally a lease in New York, and both calipers look rusty, but I thought brake components would be a bit more long lasting and fail safe.....

2) Is this something that the warranty should cover? I realize that things like rotors and pads are wear items and the owners responsibility, but this feels like a failure that should not be happening in normal operation.

3) What's up with the HPA acronym? Also they mentioned that the rear calipers were "electrically operated". Is that just for the electric parking brake? (It sure looks like they are hydraulically operated for normal braking.....)

Thanks for any comments.
Jay

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
247 Posts
Usually that large a leak is due to a seal failing. Sure a piston could be cracked, but the seal is what is letting the fluid leak out. Cheap on some autos to repair, not so cheap on others (labor). Luck.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,070 Posts
If the brake pads were ever changed, there is a risk of damaging the seals in the procedure of pushing the pistons back to make room for the new pads. Or it could be a random failure.

Another possibility is a rock or aggressive animal damaged a brake line.

And finally, it could be as simple as a loose bleeder screw, that you can just tighten back up.

A quick examination should show where the fluid is coming from, then you can investigate further. The shop might try to figure out if you've already eyeballed the situation. If you haven't, then they could replace various parts without you knowing whether those parts are part of the problem. It would suck to pay for a new brake line, new pistons seals and caliper, if all the problem is a loose bleeder screw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Followup: We had the vehicle towed to a dealer (March 17 2021) and it took them a long time to return it to us (April 5th 2021). The paperwork they gave us said they replaced the Pressure Source Unit part number 58620-A8000.
(System check DTC found C123602 / C123302 Pressure Motor Unit Leaking Internally).

I have no idea why the pressure source unit would cause brake fluid to leak out of the rear drivers tire area, so perhaps this was a secondary problem caused by low brake fluid...but they didn't list any corrective action w.r.t. calipers/rotors/pistons on the rear brakes.

Given the 19 days they had the vehicle, we are not terribly impressed with this dealer, and don't particularly trust them to have written down the full story, but it was fully covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
247 Posts
As long as the leak stopped, covered under warranty, woohoo!

Now check out the part's cost even on ebay:

Better get/have the extended warranty on that puppy!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
92 Posts
Followup: We had the vehicle towed to a dealer (March 17 2021) and it took them a long time to return it to us (April 5th 2021). The paperwork they gave us said they replaced the Pressure Source Unit part number 58620-A8000.
(System check DTC found C123602 / C123302 Pressure Motor Unit Leaking Internally).

I have no idea why the pressure source unit would cause brake fluid to leak out of the rear drivers tire area, so perhaps this was a secondary problem caused by low brake fluid...but they didn't list any corrective action w.r.t. calipers/rotors/pistons on the rear brakes.

Given the 19 days they had the vehicle, we are not terribly impressed with this dealer, and don't particularly trust them to have written down the full story, but it was fully covered under warranty.
You are thinking like me in that something sounds fishy that they didn't fix anything at all where the leak was and that pressure source unit takes place of a brake booster i believe which is in the front of the vehicle and not the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts