Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Kia as the Title states. So when I go to start it for the day the gears won’t shift & eventually it disappears on which shift it’s in although it’s stuck in park. My check engine light eventually comes on. After a while it lets me switch gears & drive off and works fine for the rest of the day. My engine light also disappears. Then the next day it happens all over again. Anyone have any idea of what this can be ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
No yet I would start trying to find out by reading for any set or pending CEL codes. Even if light is not on all the time, there maybe a pending code, one that has nearly met all the criteria. Let us know what you find.

Reactions: KiOpti

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
680 Posts
I have a 2017 Kia as the Title states. So when I go to start it for the day the gears won’t shift & eventually it disappears on which shift it’s in although it’s stuck in park. My check engine light eventually comes on. After a while it lets me switch gears & drive off and works fine for the rest of the day. My engine light also disappears. Then the next day it happens all over again. Anyone have any idea of what this can be ?
You may get the P0705 Inhibitor Switch (aka Range Switch) Code which I had with my '12 Sonata way back (Other newer cars have had it) .
P,D,R,N etc disappeared, reappeared - initially Shifting harder - Drove but seemed a liitle sluggish.
Code didn't show on 1st Dealer visit but finally did for 2nd visit.
IF your Gears Disappear and you make it to Dealer with blank display, DON'T TURN ENGINE OFF - I did & THAT & Gears reappeared when they first checked it & may have caused Code to not show on that visit.

Reactions: KiOpti

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Your answer sounds very valid. I’m going to go get a code read tomorrow. When I did try to get one it disappeared 🙄 I love this Kia but sometimes unnecessary problems come up out of no where.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
28,924 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forum’s and sorry to hear that you’re having this issue.

Your vehicles should still be under warranty at this time, why not bring it to the dealer to have them check it out?

Hope you’re able to get it fixed quickly.

-David
K5 Optima Store

1 - 6 of 6 Posts