Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I recently bought a 2017 Kia Optima LX and am wondering about some engine noise. I've been reading the 2.4 GDI is noisy, but is this normal? This is the first Kia I've owned. I've uploaded a video of the car starting after sitting overnight.

First part of the video is standing on driver's side starting the car, then walked around front of the car to front passenger side wheel well at 0:07 and put camera into the wheel well. The rest of the audio is taken from inside this area where the noise is loudest. It can be heard from a distance fairly easily, like a loud rattling.

My vehicles in the past definitely didn't sound this way, unless there were issues. Things that come to mind if it is a problem are timing chain / tensioner and lifter tap. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated, since I may be able to work a deal with the seller to get things fixed if it's a serious problem.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
The engine when started is loud. Just the other day the wife was on the porch and again mentioned the "loud" engine which I've heard before, mostly due to the HP fuel pump.
Rather hear the pump than the rods knocking before the engine blows.

Although a turbo model, the N/A would be the same, so here's just one of many available:

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing; I played the clip and TBH I didn't hear anything "unusual" that would quickly get my attention. Not sure if OP was commenting on how loud the noise is or more about a specific type of noise. If the former--well I guess he won't like the engine noise/sound emanating from big V-8 engines then; the engine noise on my 6.0L GMC Yukon Denali on startup is waaayyyy louder than that of my 2.0T Optima, so I suppose I'm just a bit jaded when it comes to the level of noise coming from my Optima on startup.

Now if the complaint was about rattling or very loud ticking or knocking, then that's a different matter...

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard a few engines with progressively worse issues before failure and I agree there is a difference between loud and "whoa that sounds wrong.." type of very loud.

The part of the engine noise I've wondered about is the fast-paced ticking, like the noise in the video Turbonut posted that gets loud at 0:52 and louder over the next few seconds.

After your comments I read more about the GDI engine and then direct injection engine technology. I realized the ticking is most likely just a side effect of DI. The high-pressure fuel pump or the fuel injectors snapping open and closed very quickly can cause the noise it seems. The trade-off is 8% higher power for direct injection engines, so lots of cars have this now, but they haven't perfected it yet.

Thanks for the help. I can enjoy my car again without the fear of impending engine failure. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts