Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima EX Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out to the 2017 Kia Optima Hybrid in my driveway this afternoon and went to start it up and after pushing the start button and the system self check a "STOP VEHICLE AND CHECK BRAKES" warning appeared in the middle of the digital display. Now for the fun part... The car was driven earlier today and the sunroof and windows are open and NOTHING IS RESPONDING OR WORKING. Doesn't appear to be a battery issue as it turns on and goes through the self check so I called the local dealer where we purchased the car and they were no great help, said to have the car towed in... but it's 4:30 pm on a Saturday and they close in 30 minutes... They also gave me the number to Kia Roadside Assistance to set up a tow... but that doesn't help me get the car buttoned up for expected rain.

Anybody ever have this problem or know of a solution?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima EX Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After speaking with the service department at a second Kia dealer in the area I disconnected the negative terminal of the 12v battery in the back, waited about 30 seconds, reconnected and no change in status. Next I pulled out the battery charger and hooked it up and it said the battery was at 9.4v... so now it's charging and we'll see if this fixes the problem. On a side note 2 years 5 months seems kind of short for OEM battery life... This is my wife's car but as far as I know she has never left anything on and ran the battery down at any time in the past.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Battery issues in modern cars can be so convoluted. Once the computer gets confused due to lack of voltage "unpredictable results may be seen".

That's a quote from a mainframe repair manual from 30 years ago. Seems legit still.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my 15 Hybrid 4mo after I bought it. Gave it a jump start and it worked for a week then same thing. I tried to take it to the auto parts stores in the area and they all freaked out over testing the 12V battery on a hybrid car. LMAO! Idiots! Took it to the dealership and they replaced the battery under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,499 Posts
My car has needed a new battery about every 3 years. Seems like clockwork sometimes.
I also have 2015 Cherokee that I replace the battery on about 6 months back or so. So seems like 3 years is a typical auto battery for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '13 LX still has the factory 12v battery after 110k miles. The only issue I've had with it was self-induced, as I popped the trunk in the driveway to vacuum it out and forgot about it. Died over night. Being an AGM battery, these things don't usually fare well with standard testing and charging procedures. I trickle charged it at 2 amps for 12 hours, then increased to 10 amps for 6. Yes, it took more than half a day, but I didn't have to drop the $$ for a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my 2013 hybrid the battery failed at around 6 years. I was extremely impressed, beginning of winter for the last 3 years it maintained 12.49 volts until November 2019. It was never charged outside of the vehicles system and was never used to jumpstart.
It is more than likely that it could have lasted longer, but my wife wanted a 10 inch subwoofer. I have it installed in the spare tire compartment, where I cut the foam to make it fit. Installation was extremely easy and we maintained the horrible Microsoft UVO stereo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After speaking with the service department at a second Kia dealer in the area I disconnected the negative terminal of the 12v battery in the back, waited about 30 seconds, reconnected and no change in status. Next I pulled out the battery charger and hooked it up and it said the battery was at 9.4v... so now it's charging and we'll see if this fixes the problem. On a side note 2 years 5 months seems kind of short for OEM battery life... This is my wife's car but as far as I know she has never left anything on and ran the battery down at any time in the past.
My 2017 had battery problems twice within the first 3 months of owning it; after the 2nd time the car wouldn't start and I had to get it towed to the dealer which is 22 miles from my house, they finally checked the connection to the 12-v battery. One of the little prongs that attach to the battery was broken, so instead of looking similar to a horseshoe, the very tip of it was broken off - less than 1/8" - so the connection wasn't great and it slowly lost power... Perhaps you have a similar situation and should check the prongs? I think they only checked mine the 2nd because I was almost screaming at them that this shouldn't happen with a brand new car with less than 5000 miles on it and I said I was going to invoke the lemon law. After that, I've had no problems at all with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went out to the 2017 Kia Optima Hybrid in my driveway this afternoon and went to start it up and after pushing the start button and the system self check a "STOP VEHICLE AND CHECK BRAKES" warning appeared in the middle of the digital display. Now for the fun part... The car was driven earlier today and the sunroof and windows are open and NOTHING IS RESPONDING OR WORKING. Doesn't appear to be a battery issue as it turns on and goes through the self check so I called the local dealer where we purchased the car and they were no great help, said to have the car towed in... but it's 4:30 pm on a Saturday and they close in 30 minutes... They also gave me the number to Kia Roadside Assistance to set up a tow... but that doesn't help me get the car buttoned up for expected rain.

This exact thing happened to me tonight except I was driving and my brakes locked up! Did you ever find out what caused this or why that warning appeared? Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just had the same issue STOP VEHICLE AND CHECK BRAKES when I got in to and pressed start button it flashed for awhile and now everything is dead

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, im facing the same issue, which one is 12v battery ? Could you please explain ?

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The exact same brake warning just happened to me on my exact same 2017 Kia Optima hybrid, won't start, dealer closed for the day. No previous warning to check brakes, just all of a sudden it won't start and says that on the screen. And right after that, it says my key isn't responding, even though I changed the battery on it just last week. Kia sucks! Solution? Get rid of it!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
18 Posts
Hello everyone. Wow!! I have a 2017 Optima Hybrid that just went over five years old (last month) and I haven’t had to replace my battery yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts