Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the trans fluid on my 2017 Optima EX 6 speed auto. 32,000

Did it in my driveway. It took a few special things to do it right. One thing was you have to be careful jacking the car up not to bend the jack seam under the car. Easy to do. So i found the correct rubber adapter for my floor jack on Amazon. It fit on my Craftsman 3 ton jack perfectly. I was able to safely jack up the front seam behind the front wheel but I had to cut off the end of the rubber cap as there's a square void by that seam that allows you to jack the car up without bending the plastic body. By cutting the end of the cap off it fit perfectly in that void and could jack it up with no issue.

Took the air snorkel off and you can use a 1/2 inch bare ratchet end to remove the trans top fill cap. Then the hard part comes taking off the 3 underside covers on the bottom of the car. Its about 20 bolts all the covers have to come off to get to the trans.

You can almost take the side eye hole cap off with your fingers its not on tight. Only turns a about 3/4 and its off. Its a plastic cap. Open up the 23 mm dump bolt on the bottom and it dumped out 3.5 quarts. I was hoping to get more out of it think it hold 6-8 quarts? Fluid did not look to bad reddish black but the dump bolt magnet had quite a big blob of wear gunk on it.

I cheated and did the easy way to fill it. I measured exactly what came out and put that back in plus another 1/4 of quart in it. I bought a long metal funnel to put the fluid in. If your not leaving the side eye bolt open like me you just have to make room for the trans hole to breath as you pour in new fluid. Pour it in slow.

Buttoned it up trans runs great. Shifts perfect. Was worth it to get all that magnet wear crap off. Probably do it again in another 20,000 miles. I bought a gallon of Kia Type M trans fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
Good job and a little overkill with fluid changes so quickly, but certainly can't hurt anything but your time/bank account.
A great number of people replace with quantity removed, but as it's an easy procedure, why not do it the correct way and check the level after up to temp to
make certain it's filled properly?

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have liked to do that but at my age its so much work to make it level on my sloped driveway. I only jacked up the drivers side which gave me enough room to do the dump and fill.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
I would have liked to do that but at my age its so much work to make it level on my sloped driveway. I only jacked up the drivers side which gave me enough room to do the dump and fill.
Just wanted to add the info so that everyone knows what should be done when servicing the trans.

Come on, can't be that old! I'm like Methuselah, and although not as nimble as I once was, just left the under-covers off, pulled onto flat ground and let the excess run into a flat pan. I made certain I put more into the trans than what came out so I knew that excess would be coming out and would not need to go through the trouble to add any fluid.

In the last week needed to cut off the rear LCA bolts, the rear lateral arm bolts, replaced front LCA, removed and installed front struts, and this morning replaced the inner tie rods.

Not easy, but the heating pad gets a lot of use at night.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
I’m 66 how old are you?
Hate to say, 79, 80 in December.
To add, spent yesterday morning getting the steering wheel/toe in line so as the car can be driven to to get the alignment, but now awaiting for the outer tie rod ends to arrive as the Mevotech units installed 2 years ago went south. They came with a lifetime warranty and are grease-able, but in only 46,000 miles they're shot, so Rock Auto sending new units out.

Keep chugging along!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Can I ask why you decided to change the trans fluid? The maintenance schedule in the manual to my 2014 EX never states that the fluid should be changed. I had heard from a few sources that the trans fluid is a "no-maintenance" item. Is yours different? I know that nothing is truly "no-maintenance," but at 32,000 miles, why do it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That trans fluid was pretty dark for only having a little over 32k miles on it.
I don't trust any fluid that claims to be 'lifetime' or even 100k miles between changes.
I also own a 2015 Sonata and I dumped the trans fluid at 50k and it looked a lot like yours, very dark.
Since there is only about half of the fluid that gets dumped I am going to dump the fluid again now that it's been about 10k miles since it was dumped last.

And good for you guys for keeping up the maintenance on your own cars even with your age slowing you down a little.
I know a lot of guys in their 70's and 80's that still do their own maintenance on antique cars they own.
But with a pre-war car, you're not using as a daily driver so there is no rush to get it back on the road like with a modern car.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
Just remember that ATF is red to distinguish it from other fluids and it will turn dark over time and this is not indicative as to the quality of the fluid. I had an '08 Optima, sold with 294,000 miles and the fluid was never changed, now do I recommend this, absolutely not, but changing the fluid to some is on a schedule like doing an oil change. Can't hurt.
Severe service is 60,000 mile change

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Can I ask why you decided to change the trans fluid? The maintenance schedule in the manual to my 2014 EX never states that the fluid should be changed. I had heard from a few sources that the trans fluid is a "no-maintenance" item. Is yours different? I know that nothing is truly "no-maintenance," but at 32,000 miles, why do it?
My car was owned by a little old lady. Still had substantial sludge on the magnet and fluid almost black. At 32,000
miles.

I'm old been working on cars all my life and found the best thing you can do to a NEW car is get the break in oil out of the car. This is just the oil that came with the car and has gone through the break in period. Nothing special about that oil it just happens to see almost all the substantial wear the car will experience in its lifetime.

If I had bought this car new I would have done it at 10,000 miles and moved up to higher quality fluid but its a Kia and its picky so stuck with the stock fluid. I usually move up to a Redline GL4 quality trans fluid and I use Redline Motor oil in all my cars. Its the only engine oil you can actually feel the difference. Its very expensive but so is engine replacement. may be a moot point with this engine though lol...

50 years of car ownership never lost an engine never saw the inside of a trans shop never lost a trans/diff. Its really that easy.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This car is a real pain to DIY the trans you have to take the entire bottom cover off which consists of 3 pieces and about 20 bolts. Its a real hassle to get to the trans. I usually take it to a good mechanic I know but I don't think there vaccinated dudes if you know what I mean. Just my luck to get a break through. Scary in Florida.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chances are good that might change with the Kia.
At first I thought you were quite harsh on the Kia platform but the more I read and investigate and monitor my own car I think your are absolutely right.

Very hard to believe the Koreans could not make a decent 4 cylinder engine. But tis true.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
322 Posts
Remember the 6AT holds about 8 1/4 quarts, most of which is in the TC. So you only got 1/3 of the old fluid out. Outside of a flush machine, which I never suggest, you should plan on doing two more drain and fills, driving a few miles in between. This will replace most of the ATF.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
My car was owned by a little old lady. Still had substantial sludge on the magnet and fluid almost black. At 32,000
miles.

I'm old been working on cars all my life and found the best thing you can do to a NEW car is get the break in oil out of the car. This is just the oil that came with the car and has gone through the break in period. Nothing special about that oil it just happens to see almost all the substantial wear the car will experience in its lifetime.

If I had bought this car new I would have done it at 10,000 miles and moved up to higher quality fluid but its a Kia and its picky so stuck with the stock fluid. I usually move up to a Redline GL4 quality trans fluid and I use Redline Motor oil in all my cars. Its the only engine oil you can actually feel the difference. Its very expensive but so is engine replacement. may be a moot point with this engine though lol...

50 years of car ownership never lost an engine never saw the inside of a trans shop never lost a trans/diff. Its really that easy.
I am the same way. I get the break in fluid out. Switch all over to AMSOIL. Never had one issue. Yeah it’s expensive but a transmission, diff, or engine is way more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
I am the same way. I get the break in fluid out. Switch all over to AMSOIL. Never had one issue. Yeah it’s expensive but a transmission, diff, or engine is way more.
Cars no longer use break in fluid, and maybe the following might help explain what I've stated many times as far as oil quality,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts