Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think my car might’ve caught the “bug”. This morning on my casual drive home from work stopped at the deli shut the car off while I went inside. Hopped back in and what pops up dead center on my dash? The infamous check engine light...

Car gets full synthetic every 3,500 miles and gets baby’d beyond belief. Been also putting high tier 93 octane since I brought her home from the hospital. Currently sitting at 32,200 miles. After the light came on the car idle’s harsher and shakes a bit when I’m stopped or release the brake from a stopped position. Otherwise car still travels beyond 55mph without trouble.

Current mods:
Lap 3 uncle chip
AEM CAI
HKS BOV
HKS SPARKS
OCC PCV
MAINTEC HFC
KINETIC CBE

**Haven’t had any trouble with car since. Mods have been on my car for quite some time now.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
Have the cell checked at the local AutoZone or parts store.
Maintenance along with careful driving isn't going stop the engine from self destruction, if that in fact is the problem.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cylinder three misfiring/low pressure.... They tell me I need to take everything mod wise out of my engine for them to have my vehicle qualify for warranty coverage. Apparently they video the entire engine as it runs and sends it off to Kia. Service rep said they would automatically deny it if I left my after market intake, and BOV installed.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
Depends on dealer. One of the current members had the same mods and engine replaced with no problems. Personally I'd remove all mods as most are looking for a way to dodge an engine replacement.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,945 Posts
I would recommend doing exactly this in this order:

1) Remove the LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune you have installed.

2) Install the factory OE Spark Plugs, or the NGK 1422 plugs we sell.

3) Clear the check engine light using an OBD Scan Tool.

4) Check to see if the issue has gone away & the vehicle is idling properly.

5) If all is well on #4, then order a new set of the HKS M45XL plugs & install them.

6) Re-install the LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune on your vehicle again.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend doing exactly this in this order:

1) Remove the LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune you have installed.

2) Install the factory OE Spark Plugs, or the NGK 1422 plugs we sell.

3) Clear the check engine light using an OBD Scan Tool.

4) Check to see if the issue has gone away & the vehicle is idling properly.

5) If all is well on #4, then order a new set of the HKS M45XL plugs & install them.

6) Re-install the LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune on your vehicle again.
Thank you for the input DAVID. I’ll check that out and see if that does anything different.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried removing the plugs to OEM but the car was much worse than I thought. Took out my intake and BOV. Both of which were filled with oil. Barely made it to my destination where all of my stock parts were located. Had the car WOT and couldn’t touch 40 mph. Luckily I made it to where I had to go safely.

Car was just picked up by roadside assistance. Dealer called me and informed me the vehicle had arrived. They will start a case for me and keep me informed.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
335 Posts
Hope it all works out for you, but doesn't look good. Did they document that you had mods on there during your last visit?

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the service manager was actually really cool about it. He suggested I take everything out prior to having it looked at for the engine replacement. Hopefully they don’t screw me.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,945 Posts
Oh no, sorry to hear this Marco.

Yes, keep us posted and let us know what happens.

Hope they get you taken care of.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called the dealership today since I haven’t heard from anybody since the car was towed to them Saturday afternoon. Spoke with the same service rep Ive been conducting my business with. He said as of now it’s looking like Kia will end up covering the replacement under the warranty. He wasn’t that detailed as to what part of the engine would be getting replaced. However before the conversation ended he said Kia requested they send another video of the car running with special attention near the “turbo”. Like I mentioned earlier when I initially removed both the CAI and BOV there had been a decent amount of oil within them. Service rep even mentioned how low my oil was looking in which I therefore replied with “the car was bleeding oil wherever it could”. So currently it has been “5” days in which they’ve had my car during service hours. “7” days total including when It was dropped off at the dealer.

keep this post advised.
no loaner still-been using the wife’s 2016 forte. I’ll have to wait and see if Kia approves the warranty before I can be reciprocated for it.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, after extensive investigation on my car Kia will be approving my engine replacement and replacing the turbo. As per the service manager they will be replacing the “long block”. Currently they are locating the parts. After the parts arrive at the dealer it should take the techs 2-3 days to install. I’m getting tired of driving the other half’s forte. I miss my optima!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
503 Posts
the service manager was actually really cool about it. He
suggested I take everything out prior to having it looked at for the engine replacement.
Hopefully they don’t screw me.
Has there ever been a certifiable OK or Prohibited declaration for OCC's and Kia Warranty or just educated guesses?

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my case service manager said (BOV, CAI, and what he called “little thing in red” out). Little red thing being the OCC V3 I have the red version to match the super stock colored calipers!!

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Decided to give the dealer a call today since it’s been a little over a week since I received the good news that they would be covering the replacement. Spoke with service manager he told me there was another vehicle currently on the lift. That vehicle should be done by today. Tomorrow my car should be next in line. As per him I’ll probably have my car back end of this week/weekend. Really looking forward to it!

My car has been within their custody for 32 days.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Received car back yesterday. After roughly 15 mile steady highway travel already have a check engine light.

New long block And turbo installed...

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Car was throwing “P0420” code. Dealer cleared the code and advised me to use a fuel cleaner “Techron” to which I did. Hopefully won’t have to be back at the dealer till my next oil change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts