Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 SX battery light came on. I ignored it for less than 12 hrs but parked it immediately ?. Only drove it for about 2 more miles the next day. Out of the blue, the steering stopped, about 2 minutes later the stereo panel shut down, all lights shut down, and I coasted to a stop. Fortunately, I wasn't in harms way but easily could have been. My husband came out to where I was, and checked it out. We both assumed the battery was dust. We called AAA during this time. My husband quickly figured it out that it was the fan belt. I thought those lasted 90k miles. 34k?! Anyone else have the same issue?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,294 Posts
The belt might be called a "serpentine belt" - and did you inspect the condition of the belt?

At such low mileage, I'm guessing a rock jumped up and landed between the belt and a pulley, and caused the belt to break? Or was your belt exposed to something corrosive, or direct sunlight for prolonged time?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Original owner? With engine undercovers difficult to have debris get up into the belt area, but if you still have the remains, one might be able to determine reason(s), e.g. sides worn, belt snapped cleanly, pulley problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The belt might be called a "serpentine belt" - and did you inspect the condition of the belt?

At such low mileage, I'm guessing a rock jumped up and landed between the belt and a pulley, and caused the belt to break? Or was your belt exposed to something corrosive, or direct sunlight for prolonged time?
Actually, the belt wasn't anywhere to be found. It is quite possible a rock jumped up and caused it to break. It was never exposed to sunlighy or anything like that. I was curious because friends are blaming it on the car being a Kia. ?? I love the car but now my husband is going to attempt to install the belt. Per YouTube, that doesn't look like an easy job.

Thank you for your suggestion.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
It's a pain. I've done it from the top, but if 2016's the same as earlier models, easier to remove front wheel and inspection panel behind the wheel to get to the area to be able to route the belt, make certain pulleys are lined up as have seen some alternator clutches(pulley) move outward after use, but normally with much greater mileage.
Also have him check all the pulleys to be certain they are clean as if a malfunction and the belt got hot for some reason, rubber can be deposited on various pulleys and that is time consuming to remove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts