Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 optima optima ex
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with my question. I have 8400 miles but I'm researching how to change the trans fluid. I've looked at videos on youtube but can't find one for optima/2016. I know how to take the bottom shield off and should be able to locate the drain plug. It seems there is a plastic overflow cap/opening on the side of the trans. The fill port from videos is on top. you have to take off all the air handlers and expose the top of the trans. Is the fill plug a 22mm or 24mm size plug? small plug? I've seen some fill through the overflow plug and not even filling up top. I'd like to just drain (about 4.5 qts I've been told) and then just fill through the top fill plug and avoid the side plastic plug. I have not taken the shield off yet to see the trans nor the air handlers to find the fill plug. I recently couldn't get the oil filter off and had to take it to kia to get them to remove and put my fram filter on. Any comments or help would be appreciated. I plan to do it next spring at 12K miles or so.

·
Registered
2016 optima optima ex
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
lots of views but no replies. guess nobody does this themselves on this "model" for several years or other???

·
Registered
how sweet
6 Posts
Can anyone help with my question. I have 8400 miles but I'm researching how to change the trans fluid. I've looked at videos on youtube but can't find one for optima/2016. I know how to take the bottom shield off and should be able to locate the drain plug. It seems there is a plastic overflow cap/opening on the side of the trans. The fill port from videos is on top. you have to take off all the air handlers and expose the top of the trans. Is the fill plug a 22mm or 24mm size plug? small plug? I've seen some fill through the overflow plug and not even filling up top. I'd like to just drain (about 4.5 qts I've been told) and then just fill through the top fill plug and avoid the side plastic plug. I have not taken the shield off yet to see the trans nor the air handlers to find the fill plug. I recently couldn't get the oil filter off and had to take it to kia to get them to remove and put my fram filter on. Any comments or help would be appreciated. I plan to do it next spring at 12K miles or so.
It's "lifetime" fluid. You shouldn't change it until 100k (at minimum).
But if the fill is not accessible from under the car then the fill port will be under the airbox.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
522 Posts
In 7 years of Forums reading you'd set a planet Earth record for the fastest Tranny Drain & Fill; 30K miles is the First TD&F target I've ever seen in Forums, but I've seen a 45K discussion and 60K, too.
Would you mind sharing your Reason for the 8400 mile D&F, and maybe you might get more technical help.

Reactions: Mojo and SXexcess

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,464 Posts
But if the fill is not accessible from under the car then the fill port will be under the airbox.
Sadly, absolutely not! There is NO such thing as "lifetime fluid".

Think about it. Why would Kia say this? The only reason your local Kia dealer might say that is because the transmission warranty is 100K miles. Beyond that, its' all on you if it fails. It "looks good" to the uninformed that your maintenance costs are "so low" if they say that. You will notice in the owner manual (which most people do not read) that the severe service interval for changing the ATF (a simple drain and fill) is 60K miles. The Kia definition of "severe service" is NOT what you think it is, it is defined basically as your normal city driving. IF you are only on the highway driving at 70MPH for long distances, then you are not a typical "severe service" user.

I drive my cars up to 250K miles or so (which makes car ownership very inexpensive over time) and the only way to do that is very good maintenance.

I have a thread on changing the fluid as a DIY or you can have the dealership do it for ~$130 (make sure you tell them you ARE a severe service driver or they will blow you off).

Doing this simple drain/fill every 30K miles or so is the best insurance to preventing long-term issues with this VERY expensive part of your car.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Same guy that wants to change out his coolant way early, maybe?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
With all due respect, I think we're over-doing this.

If you want to change your car's fluids 'way more often than necessary, knock yourself out. But it's expensive and wasteful.

As for Severe Conditions and Normal Conditions, here is the definition in the manual for Severe Driving Conditions:

Severe.jpg

I think 90% of us (especially since we're talking about sedans, not farm trucks, SUV's, work trucks, or off-road vehicles) qualify as Normal conditions. Sure, most of us drive in traffic from time to time (or even commute daily) and do some short hops, but unless you're an Uber driver or use your car for pizza delivery, that's still "normal" driving, and any court in the land is going to agree if you get into a tussle with Kia.

Change your trans fluid at 60,000 miles if you want, but modern fluids and a sealed transmission case make that unnecessary unless you really put some abnormal wear and tear on it.

Me? I lease, and never put more than about 30k miles on my cars anyway, so I don't worry about it. ;)

Reactions: Mojo

·
Registered
2016 optima optima ex
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry but I change my fluids early. I change oil around 2000-2500 (synthetic). Antifreeze every 10K or so. Trans fluid every 5 to 10K. It's cheap relative to the dealer and gives me peace of mind that the car has good fluids. As for "lifetime", go to the net and look at a camry with 84K. It's brown with chunks (trans fluid). I have 40K on my RAV 4 and have changed the fluid about 5 to 6 times. I'm a chemist and fluids break down due to heat and oxygen. And I keep my cars 200K so I know they will make that with frequent fluid changes.

I know the drain plug is on the bottom but need the crush washer. Also, the fill port is under the air scoop next to the battery. Go to car talk.com and a guy known as transman changes his trans fluid at every 2nd oil change. He's got over 35 years working on transmissions. THanks to all who answered and provided some input.

·
Registered
2016 optima optima ex
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 16500 on it now. I'm sure the color will be darker than the new stuff I put in.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,045 Posts
How often do you change the brake fluid, given those radically short (IMHO) change intervals for your other vehicle fluids? In any case I suppose automotive fluid manufacturers must love people like you--LOL!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
522 Posts
Sadly, absolutely not! There is NO such thing as "lifetime fluid".

Think about it. Why would Kia say this? The only reason your local Kia dealer might say that is because the transmission warranty is 100K miles. Beyond that, its' all on you if it fails. It "looks good" to the uninformed that your maintenance costs are "so low" if they say that. You will notice in the owner manual (which most people do not read) that the severe service interval for changing the ATF (a simple drain and fill) is 60K miles. The Kia definition of "severe service" is NOT what you think it is, it is defined basically as your normal city driving. IF you are only on the highway driving at 70MPH for long distances, then you are not a typical "severe service" user.

I drive my cars up to 250K miles or so (which makes car ownership very inexpensive over time) and the only way to do that is very good maintenance.

I have a thread on changing the fluid as a DIY or you can have the dealership do it for ~$130 (make sure you tell them you ARE a severe service driver or they will blow you off).

Doing this simple drain/fill every 30K miles or so is the best insurance to preventing long-term issues with this VERY expensive part of your car.
A unique 2-Step Drain-Fill on 2nd page Post #12
https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/...mission-fluid-change-42k-miles-first-one.html

Reactions: williamhood

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
125 Posts
How often do you change the brake fluid, given those radically short (IMHO) change intervals for your other vehicle fluids? In any case I suppose automotive fluid manufacturers must love people like you--LOL!
I did mine at 5 years an 50k. It was dark but not black. I would call 3 years safe. It’s easy and not that hard with a brake bleeder pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
If I was pulling with my vehicle I would be more apt to change tranny fluid more often. In a sedan 100k doesn't bother me at all

·
Registered
54 Posts
For most owners, 100k is about eight years. Korean factory fluids in these vehicles are not strong at all. Board members of various Korean vehicle messageboards have reported better performance after various / numerous fluid changes.

In my opinion, change them-all prematurely..... even cut the original fluid lifetimes in half. That includes trans, differentials, brake fluid, power steering and coolant. In many replies, improved vehicle performances have occurred, provided quality products were used in replacement.

·
Registered
117 Posts
South Korea's oil products are imported. They probably use good ole Valvoline

"South Korea is a major energy importer, importing nearly all of its oil needs and the second-largest importer of liquefied natural gas in the world."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts