Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2016 optima lx 11k miles 2.4L one owner from New York.. which bothers me because I don’t think it was broken in properly possibly. It idles at about 600-675 rpms when stopped in drive. About 20% of the time when you let off the brake to drive from a stop it drops Rpms about 100-200 down to almost 500 rpms. Luckily I bought the 2 year warranty and have a service scheduled monday but has anyone else have concerns similar ? No recalls with my vin. Thanks for any help much appreciated really wanna take care of this car with such low miles but getting worried.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Any other symptoms. Any CELs?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
What engine, 1.6T? If so, it is what it is with the crappy dual clutch transmission.
2.4?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Just bought a 2016 optima lx one owner from New York.. which bothers me because I don’t think it was broken in properly possibly. It idles at about 600-675 rpms when stopped in drive. About 20% of the time when you let off the brake to drive from a stop it drops Rpms about 100-200 down to almost 500 rpms. Luckily I bought the 2 year warranty and have a service scheduled monday but has anyone else have concerns similar ? No recalls with my vin. Thanks for any help much appreciated really wanna take care of this car with such low miles but getting worried.
If that's the correct mileage at 11k, you probably have gummed-up fuel lines and injectors. An almost five year-old vehicle with only 11k, means that vehicle has sat far-too-long.
Buy Techron Concentrate fuel system cleaner for your tank and do it repeatedly, just prior to both fill-ups.
Another mention..... buy top-tier fuel. The gas pumps should have text that shows the TopTier wording.

Get all of that old gummy buildup out of there asap.

Reactions: JasonS and Eddy7933

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that's the correct mileage at 11k, you probably have gummed-up fuel lines and injectors. An almost five year-old vehicle with only 11k, means that vehicle has sat far-too-long.
Buy Techron Concentrate fuel system cleaner for your tank and do it repeatedly, just prior to both fill-ups.
Another mention..... buy top-tier fuel. The gas pumps should have text that shows the TopTier wording.

Get all of that old gummy buildup out of there asap.
Ok thanks I will try that ! How many times
Should I use the Techron ? Until the bottle is gone ?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Ok thanks I will try that ! How many times
Should I use the Techron ? Until the bottle is gone ?
Use two bottles. One for each tankful. Good price on Techron Concentrate at Walmart. Some auto-part stores have it on sale frequently.

You want this cleaner at / near the bottom of the fuel tank - then fuel your vehicle.
Guessing you may need two treatments.

Hope this is the Ticket and your idle resumes normal activities.

Reactions: JasonS and Eddy7933

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on the service .. dealer could not duplicate problem or find any other problems. Go figure. Going to try some seafoam / Techron when I get it back. Hope that helps. Any other advice as far as maintenance that could effect the idleing?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima LX
4 Posts
I have this same issue, 2017 Kia Optima LX with 2.4L. Occasionally the RPMs drop just enough to make the car hesitate when you let off the brake. It only happens after being completely stopped, like at a red light.

Anyone know what causes this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts