Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I’ve always loved the Kia design. I do not see any rivals in comparison that look as sharp as Kias do. Prior, I had an 05 Corolla which was **** near indestructible as I drive my cars pretty hard - at 265,000 miles the transmission finally gave. I thought this was pretty impressive and while only doing basic maintenance. The Corolla was pretty much problem free while I had it. I bought a 16 Optima EX used with EXACTLY all the options I wanted and felt I had struck gold with 27k miles on it and have had issues since day one. My only assumption is that the prior owner beat the **** out of it. It was a lease turn in. It has been to numerous dealers and shockingly, when it was under warranty, they could rarely reproduce the issues - so Kia wouldn’t cover under warranty. I’ve been told the engine issues I’m experiencing aren’t related to the recall. I bought the car in Indiana in July 2019 and now live in Arizona. It now has 48k miles on it, and is out of the warranty. Since I bought it used, I do not benefit from the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty that applies only to the first original owner.

The issues I’ve had that dealers can’t duplicate are

1. Oddly in reverse only, sometimes the engine stalls and all dash lights come on

2. Hard shift from 1st to 2nd if the car has been sitting for awhile. A dealer back in Indiana was able to duplicate it and did the “shift quality improvement update” and it appeared to help for awhile. The problem has returned numerous times, and taken to different shops and they could not duplicate the issue, but all have done the same “shift quality improvement update”. ALSO there appears to be a delay when I put it in “drive” from “park”. I kinda think it feels like the computer is “hunting” for the proper gear. Dealers cannot duplicate this.

3. Sometimes there is a delay in activation of the backup camera. (There have been a few times where the backup camera activates while I’m driving down the road...odd.)

4. Sometimes, as I’m in reverse, there is a “ding”. It only happens in reverse, and at different intervals. I stop and look at the dash and I don’t see any warning lights or anything so I don’t know what the issue could be. Any thoughts???

5. When I first start the car, I can’t adjust heat/AC or the radio for probably a minute or so. It appears to be going through some startup program?

6. Most recently while driving, the AC started blowing hot air - but only for a second or so, then got cold again. A positive note: the car is black and after sitting in 115 degree heat all day, I’m totally blown away at the blast of the cold AC. After starting the car and the AC turns on, it blasts ice cold air in seconds, and the inside cools down very quickly. That’s awesome! Never had a car with such powerful AC!!

7. Every now and then, the moonroof will not close all the way. When I hit the button to close it, it will close half way, stop, then fully open. To get it to close, sometimes I have to go through about 4 intervals and it will close.

8. I’m shocked that I’m seeing rust - on the hood right by the windshield wipers, and on the very bottom of the driver door. When I told the dealer about this, I was told Kia did not have any sort of rust/corrosion warranty that I thought all cars had today.

Before I bought it, I checked the Carfax. Clean, no accidents, no flood. The car was originally purchased in Massachusetts, and the tech at Midas told me to never buy a car from Massachusetts as the salty environment causes premature rust, and with the amount of traffic, cars from that area are operated under “extreme” conditions. Even so, the way cars are engineered today, that shouldn’t have any effect, right?

What do you guys think? I am on the fence about keeping it or trading it. About a month ago, I could get an 18 Optima EX Certified with less than 30k miles for around $17k. Now the prices have jumped, and they are $19-21k. I can’t justify the price since I can get a 2021 K5 (the optima replacement but same car) for about $25k and have the benefit of the full warranty. I also test drove the Accord, Subaru Legacy, and Camry. But none of those come close to the legroom, overall comfort, and performance that the Optima has.

So, I thought about buying an extended warranty through a Kia dealership, but for $4,000 and only getting a 5yr/60k warranty isn’t a good value it seems with the amount of driving I do. Currently, I’m averaging about 20k miles/year or more now that I’m a realtor and drive all over the valley - everyday.

Sorry for the long post, but I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Erick

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
211 Posts
Hi guys,

I’ve always loved the Kia design. I do not see any rivals in comparison that look as sharp as Kias do. Prior, I had an 05 Corolla which was ** near indestructible as I drive my cars pretty hard - at 265,000 miles the transmission finally gave. I thought this was pretty impressive and while only doing basic maintenance. The Corolla was pretty much problem free while I had it. I bought a 16 Optima EX used with EXACTLY all the options I wanted and felt I had struck gold with 27k miles on it and have had issues since day one. My only assumption is that the prior owner beat the ** out of it. It was a lease turn in. It has been to numerous dealers and shockingly, when it was under warranty, they could rarely reproduce the issues - so Kia wouldn’t cover under warranty. I’ve been told the engine issues I’m experiencing aren’t related to the recall. I bought the car in Indiana in July 2019 and now live in Arizona. It now has 48k miles on it, and is out of the warranty. Since I bought it used, I do not benefit from the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty that applies only to the first original owner.

The issues I’ve had that dealers can’t duplicate are

1. Oddly in reverse only, sometimes the engine stalls and all dash lights come on

2. Hard shift from 1st to 2nd if the car has been sitting for awhile. A dealer back in Indiana was able to duplicate it and did the “shift quality improvement update” and it appeared to help for awhile. The problem has returned numerous times, and taken to different shops and they could not duplicate the issue, but all have done the same “shift quality improvement update”. ALSO there appears to be a delay when I put it in “drive” from “park”. I kinda think it feels like the computer is “hunting” for the proper gear. Dealers cannot duplicate this.

3. Sometimes there is a delay in activation of the backup camera. (There have been a few times where the backup camera activates while I’m driving down the road...odd.)

4. Sometimes, as I’m in reverse, there is a “ding”. It only happens in reverse, and at different intervals. I stop and look at the dash and I don’t see any warning lights or anything so I don’t know what the issue could be. Any thoughts???

5. When I first start the car, I can’t adjust heat/AC or the radio for probably a minute or so. It appears to be going through some startup program?

6. Most recently while driving, the AC started blowing hot air - but only for a second or so, then got cold again. A positive note: the car is black and after sitting in 115 degree heat all day, I’m totally blown away at the blast of the cold AC. After starting the car and the AC turns on, it blasts ice cold air in seconds, and the inside cools down very quickly. That’s awesome! Never had a car with such powerful AC!!

7. Every now and then, the moonroof will not close all the way. When I hit the button to close it, it will close half way, stop, then fully open. To get it to close, sometimes I have to go through about 4 intervals and it will close.

8. I’m shocked that I’m seeing rust - on the hood right by the windshield wipers, and on the very bottom of the driver door. When I told the dealer about this, I was told Kia did not have any sort of rust/corrosion warranty that I thought all cars had today.

Before I bought it, I checked the Carfax. Clean, no accidents, no flood. The car was originally purchased in Massachusetts, and the tech at Midas told me to never buy a car from Massachusetts as the salty environment causes premature rust, and with the amount of traffic, cars from that area are operated under “extreme” conditions. Even so, the way cars are engineered today, that shouldn’t have any effect, right?

What do you guys think? I am on the fence about keeping it or trading it. About a month ago, I could get an 18 Optima EX Certified with less than 30k miles for around $17k. Now the prices have jumped, and they are $19-21k. I can’t justify the price since I can get a 2021 K5 (the optima replacement but same car) for about $25k and have the benefit of the full warranty. I also test drove the Accord, Subaru Legacy, and Camry. But none of those come close to the legroom, overall comfort, and performance that the Optima has.

So, I thought about buying an extended warranty through a Kia dealership, but for $4,000 and only getting a 5yr/60k warranty isn’t a good value it seems with the amount of driving I do. Currently, I’m averaging about 20k miles/year or more now that I’m a realtor and drive all over the valley - everyday.

Sorry for the long post, but I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Erick
A Certified Pre-owned Kia will have the benefits of new warranty. it carries over to the second owner i believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct, however my Current Optima is not certified. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can tell you that both my 16 and 19 Optimas have had a hard 1st to 2nd shift sometimes. It's always the first time it shifts from 1st to 2nd and then not again for that day. I haven't really investigated if it is related to outside temperature. I've just accepted it. No other transmission issues. Seems to be a common Optima issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts