Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,500 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
WeatherTech trunk liner

FYI the trunk liner from a 2012 SX will fit in a 2016 SXL trunk! So that's one less accessory I feel I need to buy! I was surprised it fit so well. I just assumed the trunk might have grown a little but if it did it was not significant enough to be obvious.

My sales guy let me take it out of my car even after we had made the trade-in deal so that was cool. Pretty sure they were taking my old car to auction so I would think it would have had little to no impact on the price they got for it.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,240 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

Check out this commercial, look at the wheels on the car at the end of it. I like those designs, they should offer that but not in the gaudy chrome.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

Check out this commercial, look at the wheels on the car at the end of it. I like those designs, they should offer that but not in the gaudy chrome.

Cool! I wonder if that's a Canadian version? I think I like the ones on mine better. And I know I'm in the minority but I like the bling on the rims! :grinning:

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,240 Posts
I don't know, they first showed the Optima SXL with what looked like those wheels in chrome, early last year. Most commercials have those those same wheels, this is the first time I have seen them without the chrome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
funny the topic of wheels came up. While getting my oil change this past week, got to talking with the sales rep who sold me the car. Went out to look at the new 16's when he informed me that i had probably seen photos online and the sxl had chrome wheels. I said yup but the sxl on the lot shared the same wheel as the sx turbo model. Come to find out Kia actually got sued for copyright infringement on the wheels cause they were to similar in design to another car manufacture. Salesmen wasn't 100 percent sure but mentioned an Acura wheel and stated that probably next year is when they'll come out with a new wheel design for the sxl. Ive been trying to search the interwebs to confirm this but cant seem to find anything so who knows the merit behind it but food for thought i guess.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,240 Posts
I looked up Acura and the RLX wheels looks similar but does not have chrome on them. Personally, I don't care for the chrome but those wheels don't look that bad. KIA should come out with a nice set of 19" wheels for the Optima SX and SXL, even if it's a sport package. Or a nicer set of 18s.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
funny the topic of wheels came up. While getting my oil change this past week, got to talking with the sales rep who sold me the car. Went out to look at the new 16's when he informed me that i had probably seen photos online and the sxl had chrome wheels. I said yup but the sxl on the lot shared the same wheel as the sx turbo model. Come to find out Kia actually got sued for copyright infringement on the wheels cause they were to similar in design to another car manufacture. Salesmen wasn't 100 percent sure but mentioned an Acura wheel and stated that probably next year is when they'll come out with a new wheel design for the sxl. Ive been trying to search the interwebs to confirm this but cant seem to find anything so who knows the merit behind it but food for thought i guess.
Salespeople's main job is to blow smoke up yours and they just can't stop when they are on the sales floor, becomes a habit. If Kia was to get sued for copyright infringement, they would go back to 2011 model year, because that car had a piece of every manufacturer.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
Guess what showed up on KIAs site as a $200 option, Chrome wheels. The bling is back.

Whew! Just looked and didn't like them. Would have been really upset if I had since I've only had the car 10 days! I know the day will come when they release something new...just didn't want to to be this soon!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
54 Posts
I looked up Acura and the RLX wheels looks similar but does not have chrome on them. Personally, I don't care for the chrome but those wheels don't look that bad. KIA should come out with a nice set of 19" wheels for the Optima SX and SXL, even if it's a sport package. Or a nicer set of 18s.

Agreed. It would've been nice had they released the same rims without the chrome.

I really like the launch edition rims over the standard ones for SX/SXL. I hope they still offer them when I'm in the market.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,115 Posts
Saw Titanium Gray and Black 2016s in a parking lot yesterday. I am starting to really like the new look!
I've seen a few on the road now and they look nice, just like all the other Optimas out there. Maybe we all over reacted when the first came out. lol

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,240 Posts
Change, we don't like it but we slowly adapt to it. LOL! Kinda suck that after I sold my wife on getting one, the dealer couldn't make it happen. Everything happens for a reason.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
FWIW I find things about the new one each day that I like better than my 2012. Of course some of that may be an unconscious desire to make myself believe I made the right choice! LOL

I really like the front end a lot better. It just looks less clunky and more refined than the 2012

Then from the side I really like the treatment of the small window in the rear. On the 2012 the divider between it and the roll-down rear window was upright. On the 2016 it's raked forward. Seems more aggressive. Then I like the roofline better on the 2016 in general.

For the rear I did love my 2012 SX taillights. I think those carried over to the 2013, but I hated the taillights on the 2014-15 models. The 2016 seems less aggressive than the 2012 but fits in more overall with the idea of the 2016 being a more refined design than the older models. The rear is really growing on me.

Hers the side view prior to the tinting I just got this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Optima Optima SXL
550 Posts
FWIW I find things about the new one each day that I like better than my 2012. Of course some of that may be an unconscious desire to make myself believe I made the right choice! LOL

I really like the front end a lot better. It just looks less clunky and more refined than the 2012

Then from the side I really like the treatment of the small window in the rear. On the 2012 the divider between it and the roll-down rear window was upright. On the 2016 it's raked forward. Seems more aggressive. Then I like the roofline better on the 2016 in general.

For the rear I did love my 2012 SX taillights. I think those carried over to the 2013, but I hated the taillights on the 2014-15 models. The 2016 seems less aggressive than the 2012 but fits in more overall with the idea of the 2016 being a more refined design than the older models. The rear is really growing on me.

Hers the side view prior to the tinting I just got this weekend.
What is FWIW?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
54 Posts
Can someone with a 2016 or have been in one tell me whether it still has the ambient light and the cupholder lights?

I thought I heard they no longer have them?

Thanks in advance.

1081 - 1100 of 1161 Posts