Kia Optima Forums banner

2016 Optima Console Insert How-To Guide

[DIY] : 
7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  DankmanSFV 
#1 ·
Today I will guide you through the process of installing the center console insert from K5 Optima Store.

Link to the part:
K5 Optima Store - 2016 + Kia Optima Center Console Tray Insert

Step 1:

Unlock and open driver's door (you can open the passenger door if you'd like, but I don't recommend it due to the complex nature of this modification).

Step 2:

Admire your car's beautiful interior and locate the center console. Feel the front side of the center console/armrest and give it a nice squeeze and lift all the way up - carefully.

Step 3:

Grab the small, insignificant OEM console tray and pull it upwards to remove it. Proceed to dump junk onto a safe location (I used the driver's side floor mat).

Step 4:

Take your new center console insert and inspect it to ensure it is a proper KDM part.

Step 5:

Relocate your center console. Carefully install the new center console insert by gently setting it down into the opening. Admire your handiwork.

Step 6:

Acquire the junk you had previously stored in your OEM console insert. Place into new center console insert.

Step 7:

Grab center console/armrest cover and proceed to close it. Ensure it's safely latched.

Step 8:

Stand back and marvel at how handy you are!

And there you have it - a "How-To" guide for installing the 2016+ Kia Optima Center Console Tray Insert from K5 Optima Store! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#9 ·
I've found it's best to unlock the vehicle using the key fob as demonstrated in Step 1. Just in case there is any confusion as to if the vehicle is unlocked or not.

If the car is already unlocked then it won't hurt to press the button. I'd rather know for sure it's unlocked instead of risking pulling on my locked door handle and stressing the car out.

However, anyone is welcome to deviate from the guide, but they do so at their own risk. :D

#13 · (Edited)
I was on the fence about ordering one of these for my 2016, but now that I have printed out you're step by step instructions I have faith I won't have to pay for labor to have it installed, I'll just set aside like 3 hours on a Saturday and I should be good!

Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed you have the SXL and mine is only an LX, I hope it still works...I'll post an update once I try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.