Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, would like some recommendations for fluids and oil to be completely changed with a top brand. Just like shoes, or home appliances, or whatever product you may look for, you always would like top quality at a decent price.

Well the dealer wants big time money to flush everything out and for the amount they wanted it is just regular fluids that need to be changed frequently or often. I have 2 family members who are mechanics and they said to just find whatever top fluid I like, as long as it was synthetic, and take it to them to save money,

So I decided to look for something of high quality and probably take it to my uncle to swap out. I found the following:

www.searchforparts.com/oil-change/kia-2016-optima-2.4l-d
or this seems great
Professional-Series 5W20 Motor Oil

or maybe you can recommend something that is not the dealer fluid or Valvoline at the quick lube places?

Thank you very much.
Kat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
AMSOIL is great oil. I also like Mobil 1 Extended. Mobil is a bit cheaper in price also. How about oil filters? KIA OEM or other?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
So many oil threads, favorites, but let me say no matter what oil that is used, as long as it's the designated oil category and service grade, the engine will survive, unless it's destined to disintegrate then no matter what motor oil is used, it won't stop the inevitable.
Having said that, I use the following, mostly Kirkland synthetic only because it's inexpensive and covers the categories needed.
Costco Kirkland 5-30 synthetic ($27 10 qts), or Walmart 5-30 ($28 10 qts), both SN Plus, Dexos certified.
ATF-Valvoline Maxlife $18 gallon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kathy, I've tried all kinds of synthetic oils in my Optima trying to figure out which would be the easiest to use and save me the most time and money. They are all fairly expensive to have to keep changing every so many thousand miles. A friend of mine's uncle owns an A/C repair company. They have over 100 vans on the road at any given time. One afternoon we all happened to eat lunch together and I got to pick his brain about what kind of oils he uses. He said he's tried all kinds... Royal Purple, Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, you name it. Some how he got switched on Amsoil. He told me that he started out by switching 10 of the vehicles over to it to see how they would run on it. He did a test for almost 2 years. He said the Amsoil was by far the best one to use. He was doing oil changes every 15,000 miles on his Nissan NV200 and other small vans. He said they are all good oils, but since Amsoil lasts so much longer, it ends up being so much cheaper. All of the techs had to turn in their receipts for the gas and they logged the mileage. He told me that he saw a small increase in fuel economy and that the savings of the fuel exceeded the cost of the oil... i.e. the oil ended up being free, sort of like being rebated at the pump. So being that I drive a lot, I decided to try this oil as well for my Kia. I had the same kind of results. I've been using this oil now for over 4 years. I even had my transmission flushed and had their ATF put in. I can tell you hands down, this is by far, the best stuff I've ever used. My transmission has never shifted so smoothly. It's way better than what the Kia dealer was putting in for me. The transmission shifts like butter now. That guy with the fleet has some of his vans running over 400,000+ miles. He has never had to replace or overhaul any of the engines or transmissions. Initially, I was arguing with the guy telling him that it was overpriced oil and what not. Then he started explaining the math to me and how even his accountant was telling him how much money the company was saving. And after doing more research, the Amsoil stuff even has a written warranty that if any of their oil or filters cause any problems with your engine, they will pay for all parts and labor to fix it. I've never seen any such thing from any other oil company. That web page shows several different oils that can fit your car. I recommend the signature series with the Eao15k filter that they have on there. Just get that and change it every 15,000 miles. That's exactly what I've been using for years. ZERO problems. No oil burning. No sludge. When I drain the oil at 15,000 miles, it comes out looking amazing. Still looks golden brown. I told many friends and family members and most of them are all doing the same thing now. Not s single complaint from any person I've ever gotten to switch. And all of them do the 15,000 mile oil changes now. I even joke with many of them to go back to what they were using before. All of them tell me the same thing when I joke about that. They all say, "**** NO!"

And let me tell you what I love the best... NOT HAVING TO SIT IN A WAITING ROOM every other month waiting for my oil to be changed!!!! That's what I did FOR YEARS! Every time I'd drop my car off, I have to wait anywhere between 30 minutes as much as 5 hours at the dealer, depending on how busy they are. Now I do that ONE THIRD less! Why on earth would anyone NOT want to do this?! People have told me many times, "If that oil is so good, why doesn't the dealer sell it?" So I asked the dealer that exact question. And their response to me was that if everybody used it, then their service bays would be empty. But THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA! For customers to SAVE MONEY! Apparently, they were NOT HAVING THAT. Talk about a scam if I ever heard of one. Amsoil should pay me for all of the people I have told about this stuff. They are getting tons of free customers thanks to everyone I have told.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
Must be an Amsoil salesman, your buddy has never owned a Kia, I'd certainly like to see the increase in fuel mileage exceed the cost of the oil, and 15k mile oil changes with an engine that dumps fuel into the oil.........

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I sold Amsoil, I'd be posting my phone # and email telling people how to reach me.

I used to have a job where I was driving nearly 1,000 miles per week.

The car I had back then I was getting 29 MPG. After I put Amsoil in the engine and switched to their ATF, I was then getting 33.7 MPG. I did primarily 95% highway driving back then.

So do the math... Let's say I never used Amsoil and used whatever cheap oil you proposed. Let's say I go with Mobil 1 and a filter and pay $50 to have it put in every 5,000 miles.

Okay, so I drive 100,000 miles @ 29 MPG, that's 3,488 gallons of fuel every 100k of driving. Plus changing the oil every 5,000 miles would cost be 20 oil changes in that time. Fuel over that 100,000 miles of driving would cost me $9,500+.

So now the same scenario with Amsoil:

So let's same the same 100,000 miles, but now with 33.7 MPG (not a large gain, but a gain, non the less.) That would be 2967 gallons of fuel over that same 100,000 miles of driving. Plus now only 6 oil changes instead of 20. The fuel over that would cost $8,100+, $1,400 less than your proposal over that 100,000 miles for what I was paying for gas back then.

Your cost $50 an oil change would be 20 oil changes x $50 = $1000 for oil changes.

My Amsoil cost would be $70 an oil change x 7 oil changes = $490 for oil changes.

So tell me why #1 I would want to get lower fuel economy #2 do more oil changes and #3 sit at a quick lube or dealer for all of those extra hours waiting to get my oil changed? I was in my vehicle nearly 4 hours per day driving. Do you think I'd want to pull over on the way home and waste another 30 to 60 minutes getting an oil change?

I was forced into this because I drive so often. Maybe you have some kind of fetish for wanting to do lots of oil changes, but the rest of us don't.

I CAN'T STAND going to the dealer for anything. It's people like you exactly why I don't want to be a dealer for this oil. I would be arguing with everybody every day. If you don't want to use the oil, then don't. I'm just telling you from my practical experience.

You must own a car dealership. You hate people like us who figure out how to screw the dealer. That's too bad.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
Maybe you need a new calculator. There's no debating, absolutely impossible to see 4.7 mpg by changing oil supplier. If that were the case, every manufacturer would be using the product, but wait, it's not even API/Dexos certified.
Didn't view the above about RedLine, but maybe they profess even higher fuel mileage, maybe 5 more mpg.
I do use RedLine products, but not their oil or ATF fluid.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm sticking to Mobil 1 Extended for 6k on the KIA and 10k on the Sienna. I always use OEM filters

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went to the dealer for the first oil change on my CPO 2019 SX. Brought a jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. The service manager told me using that is bad for the car and I should just let them us the Synthetic Blend that they recommend. He was going back to the old topic of Synthetic ruining the seals but it only has 9,500 miles! I let him talk me into it because I am afraid he will try to make that an excuse if I have a problem in the future. I don;t drive like grandma so I would rather have used the full synthetic.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
You should probably stick to a recommended oil change interval, per the user manual.

I think it might be a mistake to use 15,000 mile oil change interval. The problem with that, as pointed out by Turbonut, is that the engine might dilute the oil with fuel over time. So after a certain number of miles, the oil viscosity will change, from the extra fuel dilution.

The best situation is to submit the used oil to an oil analysis. If you find that the oil becomes too contaminated and degraded after your interval, then your interval is too long.

Just because someone had benefits in a different type of vehicle and engine, does not mean you can apply their findings to the Kia engine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Went to the dealer for the first oil change on my CPO 2019 SX. Brought a jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. The service manager told me using that is bad for the car and I should just let them us the Synthetic Blend that they recommend. He was going back to the old topic of Synthetic ruining the seals but it only has 9,500 miles! I let him talk me into it because I am afraid he will try to make that an excuse if I have a problem in the future. I don;t drive like grandma so I would rather have used the full synthetic.
Even Dino oil is a blend of synthetic and dino today. Stealerships LOL ;)

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
I won't debate into whether using Amsoil is a better proposition performance-wise, but in regards to the statement about how "Amsoil lasts so much longer", the term "longer" can be subjective but since UberDeliveryGuy indicated that his OCI is 15K miles--try telling the dealer/Kia that your OCI is every 15K miles if ever you had to file a warranty claim (either original 10 year/100K mile or the Kia engine-specific unlimited mile warranty one) for engine-related issues and see if Kia will approve your claim, especially since Kia is pretty particular when it comes to accepting claims for their well-renowned Optima engine failures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe you need a new calculator. There's no debating, absolutely impossible to see 4.7 mpg by changing oil supplier. If that were the case, every manufacturer would be using the product, but wait, it's not even API/Dexos certified.
Didn't view the above about RedLine, but maybe they profess even higher fuel mileage, maybe 5 more mpg.
I do use RedLine products, but not their oil or ATF fluid.
I wish I saw a 4.7. The most I ever saw was 3.7 and that's doing 90% highway. That's not something I read in an advertising brochure. That was something that I calculated when I was driving very far each week and was trying to save money.

Red Line DOESN'T WIN. You'll change it more often, negating savings. Not only of money, but TIME. If you have a spouse and change your spouses oil, do the math on changing oil multiple times per year. Maybe you think it's fun to do that in your 20's, but a lot of people my age don't care to do that crap anymore. I have much better things to do with my time than blow a bunch of Saturday mornings or afternoons doing oil changes for me and my wife.

It's like arguing that I should buy tires that last 10,000 miles to save $50 over ones that last 40,000 miles. I'm not going to fret over a few bucks. If you can't afford a good oil, you have no personal business owning a motor vehicle in the first place.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
I wish I saw a 4.7. The most I ever saw was 3.7 and that's doing 90% highway. That's not something I read in an advertising brochure. That was something that I calculated when I was driving very far each week and was trying to save money.
Let's see 29 mpg to 33.7 mpg looks like 4.7 mpg difference and I didn't even use my abacus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow.. that is 4.7. That is a huge gain. I just remember the 29 in the beginning and seeing 33.7 after I ran the numbers when I divided the miles by the number of gallons used.

Instead of doubting it, you should replicate what I did and see what results you get instead of doing personal attacks on people. If you get zero gains, then you can do the personal attacks.

I didn't always get that kind of gain. That was living in a very rural area at the time out in the country with almost no stop lights or stop signs. I pulled out from a dirt road on the highway, hit 60 MPH and set the cruise control on and I'd be on the highway for nearly 2 hours at a time. In stop and go traffic, you will NEVER see gains anywhere remotely close. Acceleration from a stop light or stop sign completely annihilates your MPG.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts

Red Line DOESN'T WIN. You'll change it more often, negating savings. Not only of money, but TIME. If you have a spouse and change your spouses oil, do the math on changing oil multiple times per year. Maybe you think it's fun to do that in your 20's, but a lot of people my age don't care to do that crap anymore. I have much better things to do with my time than blow a bunch of Saturday mornings or afternoons doing oil changes for me and my wife.

It's like arguing that I should buy tires that last 10,000 miles to save $50 over ones that last 40,000 miles. I'm not going to fret over a few bucks. If you can't afford a good oil, you have no personal business owning a motor vehicle in the first place.

Wow that's a great video! I like how he did actual testing, cooking the oil, freezing it, and then using that machine that checked how much the metal slug wore down and measuring the weight loss etc. Very objective and scientific, no room for opinions or speculation. Any idea where he gets all the detailed specifications of the oils, like how much detergent, additives, or other specific ingredients?

Also I liked how the video pretty much confirmed that the Walmart brand full synthentic (Super Tech, blue jug) is pretty much the same exact oil as the Amazon brand full synthetic (AmazonBasics, silver jug). So between Walmart and Amazon full synth oils, it makes sense to save a couple bucks and get the Walmart, which will perform the same.

Note that the guy doing the video specifically mentioned that the Walmart/Amazon brand full synth is the oil he personally chooses for his vehicles.

I would get that Amsoil signature series 5W-30 that won the competition, except for the price and the fact that I'm not in favor of extending the oil change interval. Although I'm confident the Amsoil could handle the extended interval without breaking down, my worry is the nature of our Kia 2.0T engine means that it causes fuel dilution that will outpace the capability of any oil, even if you had magical perfect oil. When you mix fuel into the perfect oil over time, that prevents the oil from doing its job eventually, no matter how perfect the oil is.

Another thing that helps me stick to 5,000 mile oil change intervals is using the Fumoto oil valve, drive-up Rhino ramps, and an oil filter wrench with a plastic bottle to catch spillage (you drill a hole in the bottle cap to pass through the ratchet extension, and it seals against oil drips). These things makes oil changes so much easier and faster, so you don't mind using a 5000 mile oil change interval on full synthetic oil. Also, you bring the old oil to your local auto parts store, which is a nice excuse to look around and buy any odds and ends you might need.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
You can get Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from amazon/Walmart when it’s on sale for $25 for 5qts. To me that’s a steal. For the everyday driver that’s more than enough. The Amsoil sig I believe is overkill for someone doing 5k mike OCI. I like to try different oils and have used Amsoil XL as well. It’s price point is close to PUP when PUP in on sale. The only thing I don’t like about PUP is some of the additive package settles out and is seen on bottom of container. I have shaken it numerous times before using and still the same. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
Like I said in my earlier post, if your vehicle is still under the factory 10-year/100K mile powertrain warranty, nobody in their right mind would consider going with an extended OCI (e.g, 10K miles or higher). I'm not saying that I never would consider using Amsoil or a reputable motor oil from some other non mass-market brand, but given that I still have <8 years and ~68K miles left on my powertrain warranty--based on my 5K mile OCI, I would gain no significant advantage in switching from Castrol Edge (my current oil brand) to Amsoil...but if it were possible to buy a 5-quart jug of Amsoil for the same price I typically pay for my 5-quart jug of Castrol (~$21--which I purchase from Amazon with free shipping), then sure I have no problem using Amsoil while still under factory warranty.

I don't even know why I'm bothering posting my input in this thread; everybody who wants to have a say when it comes to motor oil will have their own opinions about which oil is better--it's an argument that will continue on no matter who amongst them can come up with the most convincing argument as to which oil is indeed THE BEST.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I see a lot of people switch brands of oil on their car. IMHO I would stick with one brand throughout the life of the car

1 - 20 of 53 Posts