Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened.
My 2016 Optima crapped out just over 75K miles, loud knocking, blinking MIL, engine code P1326. Towed to dealer, they confirmed problem is covered under the recall, and car was towed to a Kia dealer to begin the process.
Just getting the initial diagnosis took a week, and the dealer it’s currently at has given me a 3-6 month time frame, with no end in sight as he said the engines are on back order and I’m one of like 120 cars waiting at this dealership to be fixed. They claim to have no loaners available, and Kia corporate only gave me the $40/day reimbursement option. This would cost me up to $7,500 out of pocket before reimbursement (closer to $9,000 with current prices) and wouldn’t even reimburse the full cost of a rental (cheapest near me is $47/day.) is there any advice on how to get a loaner out of this deal? Anybody I can escalate to (service manager, etc)?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
It just keeps getting worse with these cars, as there are so many dying that Hyundai/Kia can't keep up with the demand. Having said that, other than speaking with Kia direct to see if they have any options, which you have already done, not many other choices, and the problem is, they really don't care about your problem.
At times, some dealerships have their own rentals available, and when mine was done they just gave me a rental no charge, but that was when the rental costs were much lower. See if they can compensate you weekly or monthly for the rental costs, and try to seek out the cheapest car available.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
680 Posts
One guy just JUST posted it would be 2-3 weeks for the New Engine.
Are there any dealers within xxx miles you could call and ask their Wait Time.
I'd pay to Tow it (my Road Svc Plan covers 100 miles tow) a good distance to Save 2-6 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear you’re having this all too familiar problem. I just went through the same ordeal, although not with the headaches you’re experiencing. My 2015 KIA Optima (130,000 miles) had the knocking, flashing engine light, and loss of power. Local mechanic got the P1326 code and suggested I take it to KIA. I’m in the Milwaukee, WI area.

Had it towed to KIA on a Wednesday with an appointment set up for the following Monday. They didn’t get to it on Monday, but did look at it on Tuesday. Service manager called and literally said “you need a new engine. It’ll take 2-3 weeks. Do you need a rental?” That was it. It was odd because he didn’t clarify that it was covered, or give a larger explanation regarding the code, recall, etc. Five minutes later I got a call from the rental company (Enterprise) and they confirmed my rental and that KIA was covering it. I had to put down a $25 returnable deposit, and paid $40 and change for some tax charges not covered by KIA. But that was it.

Being that the service manager didn’t specifically say it was covered, I wanted it in writing so I messaged through their website and was told I’d get a call. I didn’t. Then sent an email asking if it was covered. No response. Finally called and it was verbally confirmed that it was covered.

To my surprise, I got a call yesterday saying my car was ready. So instead of 2-3 weeks, it was 6 days. I was shocked. Because of the poor communication, flat affect of the service rep I was dealing with, and the shortened repair time, I went in cautiously. When I got there he said “I need you to sign this. Here’s your copy. I’ll pull your car up.” Again, no explanation of what was done or anything. I asked him straight out “I thought it was going to take 2-3 weeks. I’m surprised it was done so quickly. So the engine was replaced with a new one?”He said “yup. New long block. You must be one of the lucky ones.”

Initial feedback is that it drove fine on my 20 minute drive home. Haven’t taken it out yet today.

The rental car company was beyond professional, courteous, communicative, and just downright pleasant to deal with. I get the sense the KIA service department is just overwhelmed and downtrodden from all these issues they’re having to deal with. They weren’t rude, but definitely not friendly, and lacked basic customer service skills when it comes to communicating the process to the customer.

Overall, just glad to be past this, and hope it continues to go well. Actually contemplating selling the car now since we also have a terrible issue with KIAs getting stolen in the Milwaukee area. I had two coworkers get theirs stolen within the last 6 months.

Good luck with your replacement. I’d just press on the dealership manager/owner to get the coverage you’re entitled to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it happened.
My 2016 Optima crapped out just over 75K miles, loud knocking, blinking MIL, engine code P1326. Towed to dealer, they confirmed problem is covered under the recall, and car was towed to a Kia dealer to begin the process.
Just getting the initial diagnosis took a week, and the dealer it’s currently at has given me a 3-6 month time frame, with no end in sight as he said the engines are on back order and I’m one of like 120 cars waiting at this dealership to be fixed. They claim to have no loaners available, and Kia corporate only gave me the $40/day reimbursement option. This would cost me up to $7,500 out of pocket before reimbursement (closer to $9,000 with current prices) and wouldn’t even reimburse the full cost of a rental (cheapest near me is $47/day.) is there any advice on how to get a loaner out of this deal? Anybody I can escalate to (service manager, etc)?
Better buisnees beareau is government appointed arbitrator for this case good luck dealing with this company they are awful to deal with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts