Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we're going to be replacing some HID bulbs WITHOUT removing the front bumper or headlight assemblies!

Our victim today is my 2016 Optima SXL with fancy factory HID projectors that turn and do all sorts of tricks, including for making it difficult to change the bulbs. I had already changed out my bulbs before, but the bulbs I had used were cheap and they weren't nearly bright enough so I decided to get some good ones this time around.

The bulbs were purchased from K5 Optima Store.

Link to the bulbs:
K5 Optima Store - OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI HID D3S Bulbs

The 2016 SXL takes the D3S bulbs instead of the D1S that the earlier models use.

What you'll need:

- Multiple length Phillips Screwdrivers - preferably magnetic tipped.
- 10mm Socket and ratchet to turn it with.
- Some sort of magnet on a stick - for when you drop a screw.
- Electrical tape - to keep the screws on the the screwdriver.
- Patience.
- Minor contortionist skills.

Step 1:

We're going to start on the passenger side first, since there is more room and you can kind of see things.

Remove the 10mm bolts securing the over-flow tank and move it out of the way.

Step 2:

Remove the circular cover on the backside of the headlight housing, it may help to take a picture with your phone to see what it looks like on the inside because you'll be doing this blind.

There are 2 Phillips head screws holding a "Squared U" shape metal bracket to the inside of the housing.

Step 3:

Remove the screws, then the bracket (it might be stuck to the metal casing on the bulb, just give it a little love to remove it).

Pull the bulb out of the housing, remove the electrical connector (you might have to give this a little love as well). Congratulations, you've reached the point of no return.

Step 4:

Get your new fancy bulb - DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS!!!

On some bulb models you may have to switch over the circular spring thing from your OEM bulbs, do so now.

Step 5:

Connect electrical plug and insert the bulb into the housing.

Grab your bracket - Now you can either insert one screw into the bracket and put your screwdriver onto it before putting it into the housing, OR you can try to get it in after. You'll probably have to do a mix of both things, to be honest. You will also need to have both hands inside the housing at times to hold things and feel around. Be prepared to drop the screws more than once!

If you drop one of the screws in the housing, just use a stick magnet, or the magnetic tipped screw driver to retrieve it - they don't go very far.

An alternative method is to grab a piece of electrical tape, push the screw through the sticky side and then fold the tape up onto the shank of the screwdriver. Like so:

Then simply pull the tape off once the screw is started.

When you get your first screw lined up only screw it in a few turns, it is very easy to strip/cross the threads. You will need to apply forward pressure to the bulb/bracket in order to start the screws as well (due to the spring thingy). Make sure everything is lined up, then insert your second screw and tighten both down a little at a time so that you don't get anything crooked.

Reassemble as necessary.

Step 6:

You may want to check the operation of your headlights after completing one side.

Step 7:

Remove the 10mm nut holding the diagnostic port and push it down out of your way.

Step 8:

Remove the round cover and everything else is the same as the passenger side, just with less room.

I highly recommend using the electrical tape trick with the screwdriver when reassembling this side, it really helps a lot.

You might even want to put a small magnet in the assembly to catch your screws if you drop them.

Conclusion:

Once you've completed, check both your headlights to make sure they work. Don't be alarmed if the color is not quite right yet because the bulbs can take around 60 to 80 hours of use for the true color to burn in.

Hope this guide has helped and that you didn't lose any screws! :thumbsup:

(Yes, the second time was much easier than the first, but just buy good quality bulbs from the get go)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima (SWP + Blk interior)
32 Posts
:congrats: :rock: Bravo! This should be stickied.

What temperature and lumens are the OEMs?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What temperature and lumens are the OEMs?
I believe the stock OSRAM bulbs that come with the car are "up to" 4500k and 3200 lumens.

Who knows what the cheapo bulbs were lumens, but they were 5500k for temp.

The new OSRAM CBI bulbs are "up to" 6000k temp and 3200 lumens as well so they are plenty bright.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,221 Posts
Thank you so much for putting this together for the community. This is a great DIY and I'll also add this to the website as well for others to use when installing these on their Optima. Thank you as well for your business with us.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Awesome write up, pretty much the exact same way on how I've taken off my bulbs and replace them on my old K5 without taken off the bumper or the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima (SWP + Blk interior)
32 Posts
It already has been
Oops, didn't realize that. May be the green loopy arrow means stickied. Anyhooo.. any higher lumen replacement bulbs out there? I'm more interested in bright light than the color/temperature of the light. I'm OK with current 4300-4500k. 5000k is too white for me, and I heard as time goes on HIDs become more bluish. If that's true then a couple of years later my OEM will be close to being white anyway!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza
141 Posts
I believe the stock OSRAM bulbs are 4500k and 3200 lumens.

Who knows what the cheapo bulbs were lumens, but they were 5500k for temp.

The new OSRAM bulbs are 5500k temp and 3200 lumens as well so theyou are plenty bright.
Where'd you get that info? OSRAM CBIs are listed as 5500K, and the newer ones are listed as "up to 6000K". Most other HID bulbs run at 4300K. Not sure if the 2016 have Phillips XenStart, but they are a 4300K bulb.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where'd you get that info? OSRAM CBIs are listed as 5500K, and the newer ones are listed as "up to 6000K". Most other HID bulbs run at 4300K. Not sure if the 2016 have Phillips XenStart, but they are a 4300K bulb.

The original bulbs on the 2016s are OSRAM XENARC 66340 HBI (High Beam Improved). Their color temperature is the same as the OSRAM 66340 originals - which is "up to" 4500K. So yeah, I guess they could be 4300K.

The first set of bulbs I had previously installed were some Chinese knock-off 5500K temperature bulbs that weren't very bright (lumens), so I purchased the OSRAM CBIs.

The "new" OSRAM bulbs I JUST installed are the OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI (Cool Blue Intense). Which have a color temperature of 5500K and an "up to" temperature of 6000K.

Therefore:

OLD OEM - ORIGINAL BULBS 66340HBI - 4300K to 4500K

1ST SET - CHINESE BULBS - 5500K w/ low Lumens

2ND SET - JUST INSTALLED BULBS 66340CBI - 5500K to 6000K

I hope that helps clear things up.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Optima
27 Posts
Awesome and Thank you for these detailed instructions. To add a bit of advice to folks that are up for this challenge, unless preventative measures are taken initially you will drop screws. I lost 2 of them (1 from each side) in the housing during the removal process and was unable to locate or retrieve. (note: the tape and magnetic tools did the trick for the reassemble thank you)

The space available is soooo limited and you will be doing most of this by touch.

I ended up having to run out and get extra screws to replace the 2 that i left wherever the **** they ended up in the housing. I would advise that you prepare to purchase extra screws beforehand so that you don't waste time trying to locate if they fall in the housing. I spent waaaay too much time trying to get them out with no luck.

M4-.7 Metric is the size. Most home depots and auto zones will have a board that you can use to check the threading of your screws to ensure you have the correct size but they are easily replaced.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
4 Posts
Just did mine these weekend and I wish I found this before I did. It would of saved me some time to analyze it. But I did the exact same thing as the instructions there, except, I didnt put that circular spring thing back to the new ones lol... I wonder if they are important??.. My guess was not, since the new ones didnt come with them?..

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
273 Posts
The circular springs keep the bulb centered, and retain tension on it so it does not vibrate. They are required...

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Also, I popped my front bumper off. It make it super easy and did not take too long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts