Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my girlfriend locked her keys in her 2016 kia optima and after basically reading through all these forums i couldnt find a solution to opening the trunk while the keys were locked inside. Luckily i found this video that explains step by step walkthrough on how to get the trunk to open while the keys are still locked inside.

Link to the walkaround video on Youtube.

So obviously you have to get the door unlocked by jimmyng it but ultimately after opening the door you just have to loosed the front drivers door key assembly and its a simple process. We found this to be a very simple and easy way to work around calling a locksmith or going to the dealer like all these forums said to do.

Good luck and hope it helps!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Thanks for the video; ok I'm being a wisea** here but I gotta ask--don't these Optimas come with two sets of keys/keyfobs? I mean, even in the video apparently the dude doesn't have a second set of keys; if he did he wouldn't have had to go through all that extra effort of removing the entire lock assembly (which involved having to first remove that nut behind the rubber access cover) in order to use the screwdriver to turn the lock. Even funnier--the dude is holding the camera in one hand while doing all that stuff with the other hand, all while there is another guy behind him (you can see him in the door reflection) watching him go through that whole routine. What, he couldn't get his buddy to hold the camera for him?

·
Registered
171 Posts
That video made me want to lock myself in my trunk LOL. Good to know though

Be sure and don't drop that 10mm screw in the door because "You will never get it out' ;)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima LX
20 Posts
Thanks for the video; ok I'm being a wisea** here but I gotta ask--don't these Optimas come with two sets of keys/keyfobs? I mean, even in the video apparently the dude doesn't have a second set of keys; if he did he wouldn't have had to go through all that extra effort of removing the entire lock assembly (which involved having to first remove that nut behind the rubber access cover) in order to use the screwdriver to turn the lock. Even funnier--the dude is holding the camera in one hand while doing all that stuff with the other hand, all while there is another guy behind him (you can see him in the door reflection) watching him go through that whole routine. What, he couldn't get his buddy to hold the camera for him?
I haven’t watched the video but I just bought a 2016 Optima from a different dealership and they only had one fob for it. when my salesman told me that I got a look of sheer terror on my face because I have been known to lock keys in my vehicles.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
I haven’t watched the video but I just bought a 2016 Optima from a different dealership and they only had one fob for it. when my salesman told me that I got a look of sheer terror on my face because I have been known to lock keys in my vehicles.
IMHO it is ridiculous that the dealership would sell you that car with only one fob, especially if it was a Kia dealership. It may be too late now but perhaps you can get the dealership to give you a really nice discount on a second fob since again if they really valued the sale they shouldn't have sold you a (used) car that came with only one fob/key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts