Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going through 1qt of oil/wk. I changed the PCV valve per a recommendation, but nothing changed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Mileage, just for warranty purposes. If original owner, 10/100 warranty, second + owner 5/60, so if within the mileage, the factory warranty would still be in effect, but if not:
1 qt/wk is not really descriptive, but as Kia, as well as the community, would need to know, is the miles p/qt. Let's assume average mileage and that would be a qt every 260 miles and that is worse than my 370 miles p/qt.

First, make certain no leaks, and at that rate I'd certainly think you'd see oil on the ground and all over the under cover, so let's assume no leaks, call Kia customer service (800-333-4542). Tell them your calling about an oil consumption condition with your car, 1 qt p/miles????. They'll give you a "claim" number and you'll need to go to the dealer and have the oil/filter changed, on your dime, then tell you to return in @ 1000 miles to check oil capacity. They don't want you to touch anything e.g. checking oil, although I did and at 2 qts low, made appt with dealer. Dealer will check and if exceptionally low, they'll call Kia and if a new engine is authorized, you're supplied a rental and hopefully the car will be completed in a short period of time. Mine was completed in 7 days.

Good luck

·
Banned
10 Posts
My '17 Sorento 2.4L has 5600 miles on it and in that time it's utilized around 1/4 quart of oil. This appears to be over the top to me. Any one else seeing this in their 2.4?
snaptube vidmate

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
A little confusing as it's stated the '17 Sorento 2.4L has 5600 miles on it. Now does the vehicle have 5600 miles, or is there 5600 miles since the last oil change?
In any event, a qt. in that period of time is far from a concern, so just drive and be happy that it's not a qt. every 500 miles.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I'm guessing it hasn't yet had its first oil change given that he said, "has 5600 miles on it and in that time..."; granted that "miles" isn't considered a unit of measurement but I think he meant to say, "the time elapsed during those 5600 miles" or something to that effect--which if so, then IMHO just a mere 1/4 of a quart over 5600 miles isn't too much at all. Sure it ain't the same as those who boast/claim that their engine doesn't even burn a single drop of oil between oil changes but at the same time 1/4 of a quart won't show up as a huge loss of oil on the dipstick markings.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Think of it this way, owning a Kia/Hyundai helps keep the oil companies in business, and as the oil consumption increases, chances are
you're getting closer to engine seizure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mines doing the same thing I have 2016 Kia
I have read around and it appears we and some others are not the only ones having this problem. It
appears to be related to other problems these bad engines are having.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil... keep complaining they know they put in bad engines

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I have read around and it appears we and some others are not the only ones having this problem. It
appears to be related to other problems these bad engines are having.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil... keep complaining they know they put in bad engines
Agree, but the present problem is getting Hyundai/Kia to accommodate the consumer w/o a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree, but the present problem is getting Hyundai/Kia to accommodate the consumer w/o a lot of hassle.
Yeah, I'll keep you posted on my attempt... They gave me the software update after my car went into LIMP mode
with the P1326 code. I think the software update actually lessen the sensitivity of listening for the knocks

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Yeah, I'll keep you posted on my attempt... They gave me the software update after my car went into LIMP mode
with the P1326 code. I think the software update actually lessen the sensitivity of listening for the knocks
Hopefully the engine will seize and then there won't be a problem. A short time ago someone posted that they were having the same
trouble in that their car was in the stealership a couple of times for false P1326 code. Their final response was that they wanted
$700 to install a new harness, but would offer no guarantee it work solve the problem.
No problems with the car, stealership does update, problem, they do another update to the update, still a problem, then want to give the customer
the shaft for their ineptness.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mileage, just for warranty purposes. If original owner, 10/100 warranty, second + owner 5/60, so if within the mileage, the factory warranty would still be in effect, but if not:
1 qt/wk is not really descriptive, but as Kia, as well as the community, would need to know, is the miles p/qt. Let's assume average mileage and that would be a qt every 260 miles and that is worse than my 370 miles p/qt.

First, make certain no leaks, and at that rate I'd certainly think you'd see oil on the ground and all over the under cover, so let's assume no leaks, call Kia customer service (800-333-4542). Tell them your calling about an oil consumption condition with your car, 1 qt p/miles????. They'll give you a "claim" number and you'll need to go to the dealer and have the oil/filter changed, on your dime, then tell you to return in @ 1000 miles to check oil capacity. They don't want you to touch anything e.g. checking oil, although I did and at 2 qts low, made appt with dealer. Dealer will check and if exceptionally low, they'll call Kia and if a new engine is authorized, you're supplied a rental and hopefully the car will be completed in a short period of time. Mine was completed in 7 days.

Good luck
I've had the same problem for 3 years.
Every single time I complain to this dealership in South County, I come back with something new that doesn't exist before. I overheard the sales guy Brian say "I'm going to make my Bonus this month cause this *itch is back" not knowing I was behind him. Amongst that comment he high five the service salesman next to him. He's now the manager and still nothing is done.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I've had the same problem for 3 years.
Every single time I complain to this dealership in South County, I come back with something new that doesn't exist before. I overheard the sales guy Brian say "I'm going to make my Bonus this month cause this *itch is back" not knowing I was behind him. Amongst that comment he high five the service salesman next to him. He's now the manager and still nothing is done.
Same problem for 3 years, oil consumption? If so, best advice is to just drive the car and keep the oil filled. Not convenient, but maybe a better option
than dealing with the boneheads at the stealership

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going through 1qt of oil/wk. I changed the PCV valve per a recommendation, but nothing changed. Any ideas?
we're having the same problem with our 2016 Kia Optima;
After an oil change; it's at the low Mark ; which, is at 400-500 miles after oil changes.
I took it to the Kia Dealership; and, they conducted an oil compression test.
I took the car back after,a thousand miles; and,they informed me that I need a new engine. Because; there's air coming from the oil cap cover; and, from the oil dipstick.
They claimed it's a result of worned Vale barring or, something like that. It allow oil to get past the Vale barring and, burning up in the engine.
I changed the P.C.V. Vale and, changed the oil. And, after 400 miles; it was at the low Mark on the dipstick.
Kia Of Downtown L.A.; told me it will cost me $8,000 to replace the engine.
Because; there's no extended warranty.
And, I'm not the original owner.
Hopefully; Kia will replace the engine for free of cost.
All advice welcome!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Because; there's no extended warranty.
And, I'm not the original owner.
Hopefully; Kia will replace the engine for free of cost.
All advice welcome!
Thanks!
Stealership scumbags. The engine has a lifetime warranty for all owners as long as the KSDS was updated. Call Kia customer service:
Realize the above indicates Hyundai products, but covers Kia, same crappy engine:

·
Registered
4 Posts

Good luck
Well, I’m in New Orleans and you get NO RENTAL and SCREWED. They’re changing to valve cover and oil pan seal. The oil isn’t leaking, so it won’t help. Delay tactic. BS

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Well, I’m in New Orleans and you get NO RENTAL and SCREWED. They’re changing to valve cover and oil pan seal. The oil isn’t leaking, so it won’t help. Delay tactic. BS
The free rental/loaner is mandatory for an engine replacement under the lifetime "debris" warranty, but not for every problem that is oil related.

Let's see, the stealership is changing the vc and oil pan gaskets, but the oil isn't leaking?
Why have them changed, just because they say so?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts