Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got another Optima 3 days ago and figured I would start moding it. There isn't a ton of info or DIY's on the newer 16-17 Optimas so, I wanted to post up a DIY for the LED air vent install.

Required Tools:
Small flat head
Phillips screw driver
Rachet
10mm socket
Zip ties
Washers
Dremel or something to do precise trimming
Drill
1/2 drill bit

Step one:
Open hood. Remove 6 fasteners. These just pop right up with a small flat head.
Remove 2 10mm screws holding intake ram in place

Step 2:
Jack car up to gain access to belly pan and wheel liners.
Remove 3 fasteners

Step 3:
Remove screw holding bumper on. Right above to the 3 fasteners you just removed

Step 4:
With the car jacked up, remove the belly pan. There are a total of 5 screws holding the belly pan to the bumper.

Step 5:
Now everything that is holding the bumper to the car is off, it is time to pop the bumper off the retaining clips. GENTLY pop the bumper off by pulling it outwards. It takes a bit of force, but BE CAREFUL! It will pop off just below the headlight where it is clipped in. The trick is doing a little on each side at a time. Pull a little off the passenger side, then a little off the driver side. Then go back to passenger side and pop it off, then back to driver side.

Step 6:
Unplug the harness to your forward view camera

Step 7:
Place your bumper on a soft blanket so you do not scratch it.

Step 8:
Remove the screws holding the air vent to the bumper. Total of 5 screws.
sid

Step 9:
Carefully pop air vent off from the retaining tabs that are holding it to the bumper. Be careful if you use a screw driver, you want to make sure you do not damage the retaining clips as you will need them to hold on your new LED vents.

Step 10:
Now that the vent is all removed, compared it side by side to the new LED air vent.

Step 11:
The old vent VS the new vents is almost the same. The only difference between the two is the size/depth and location of the mounting brackets on the new LED air vent. These we will be modifying to fit your stock bumper. No modifications will be made to your stock bumper.

In the images below you will see the brackets you will need to modify. The Top Left and Bottom bracket, you will just need to widen the hole to fit over the bumper mounts. The picture shows the brackets colored black where you will need to cut out that area. Use a 1/2 drill bit to make the holes larger

The bracket on top right you will cut completely off. I used a Dremel to cut it.

Step 12:

The opening on the new LED vent for the bumper tabs will need to be longer. Cut it about an inch longer. Do NOT make the opening wider. Just longer. Use a Dremel to lengthen the tab insert.
NOTE: in this image you can see the other brackets that I already cut out.

Step 13:
Now that you have made the modifications to the mounting brackets you are ready to install.
It takes a little finesse as the vent sits into the bumper. Start by popping the bumper tabs into the inserts that you made wider above in step 11:
Once you have snapped those in, while looking from the front of the bumper, you will need to snap in the vent in place. It is pretty straight forward on how it sits in place. The bumper itself sits into the VENT.

Use washers when putting screws back in since the bracket holes were widened.

Images below shows the cuts you made to the bracket in step 11 and how they look installed.

Image below shows the tab insert in step 12 that you cut longer:

Step 14:
Wire the lights up with the adapter that came with your kit. Unplug the Fog Light wire harness from the relay box. Plug in light on one side and then you can zip tie the wire harness to the forward view camera harness over to the other side and plug in the other LED light.

Step 15:
Install bumper back on the car. NOTE: The black air ducts that were on the original Air Vents will not be used as they do not fit with the new LED air vents. Leave them off.

When putting the bumper back on it is easiest to swing the bumper on from the top over the hood latch first. Then moving from the middle of the bumper out, pop the bumper back into the retaining clips under the headlights. Once those are in, pop each side of the bumper into the fender retaining clips.

Then do everything in reverse. Put all fasteners back in on top, under car and on the fender liners. Screw in each screw on both side fender wells and put intake RAM back on with 2 10mm screws.

I will post the DIY for the wiring as soon as I can. The relay that comes with the kit has two power wires and a ground. The Red power wire is for full illumination during the daytime. The yellow wire is for half illumination for night time to match the rest of your lights brightness. The best source to make these work like OEM is to tap into the headlight wire harness. The Red wire will go into LED DRL wire and yellow wire will go into headlight power wire. That way when you switch on your headlights, the new LED air vents will automatically switch over to half illumination mode. The black wire from the relay just goes to a chassis ground.

Here are some pics of the final product.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fitment is identical to stock once installed.

you have to cut the tabs because they do not fit the stock bumper.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
27 Posts
Great post! Is there light color differential between the LED Air Vents and the headlights? Not sure if it's just my monitor but it looks like there's slight color differential between the two.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great post! Is there light color differential between the LED Air Vents and the headlights? Not sure if it's just my monitor but it looks like there's slight color differential between the two.
In The images yes the lighting is a bit different. I have not wired them up to the headlights yet.

They offer two settings. One for daytime where they are brighter. Then when your headlights go on they illuminate 50% to match the brightness of headlights.

Once I wire all that up, ill post the DIY in this thread.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem at all. Now sell the crap out of em!!!

I will hit you up soon for the suspension. Getting my wheels on Tuesday!

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,412 Posts
Avant, you always do the best DIY's for our cars! Excellent work sir and many thanks!

·
Registered
kia optima lx plus
13 Posts
I have 2016 sx but don't have a forward camera. This was the option for sxl here in CANADA. So I guess that there is no electrical plug in the front bumper if you don't have a front camera?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 2016 sx but don't have a forward camera. This was the option for sxl here in CANADA. So I guess that there is no electrical plug in the front bumper if you don't have a front camera?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Yep, you just skip that step. So no plug when you take the bumper off.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Avant, you always do the best DIY's for our cars! Excellent work sir and many thanks!
Thanks! No problem at all.

I was MIA for a while but now that I bought another Optima, I will be posting more. Putting my wheels on tomorrow :)

·
Registered
Kia Optima 2017
10 Posts
Do you know hich color the LED DRL wire and yellow wire and the headlight power wire have? I´m intereseted on buying this lights, are the wires form the headlight easy accessibly?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts