Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, each time I've used the Voice Command button to try and call someone, the voice volume is too low for my liking. I've read the quick reference manual and it shows you can change this by going to the Voice setting under the Setup menu, but it doesn't look like I even have that option. Is that something that can be added?
My guess is that I'm running a REALLY old version of the system. I don't have the version on hand currently, but I'll try to post it later once I get back into the car.

Which brings me to my next question, updating the maps. I'm assuming there is a cost to this, correct? Regardless of the cost, how easy/difficult was it to update the maps? Can any SD card be used to run updates, or does the KIA-branded card that came with the unit need to be used?

Thanks!

UPDATE - Here are the numbers I pulled if any of you are interested:
  • S/W Version - ST.TF.USA.E469.150205
  • Firmware Version - MICOM.ST.TF.USA.3120.141204
  • Navi App Version - ST4.NAM.KMC.150129.68074
  • Map Version - NAM.07.47.65.501.001

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
I can't speak as to the first issue off the top of my head (I don't have my Optima with me at the moment to check for it myself); for your other question--you can use pretty much any SD card as long as it's formatted FAT32 and is of sufficient size (16 GB minimum in your case), and yes there is a cost ($145). The update procedure is pretty straightforward, although the process does require you to install their map software install utility on your computer which BTW supports only Windows 7 and higher (i.e., no native MacOS support), and presumes you have an SD card reader attached to your PC.

·
Registered
2014 SXL
54 Posts
You have a very old version. Getting the recent one will definitely improve things for you. I recommend spending the extra $30 to have them send you a new SD card with the update already on it. This way in another year or so when you want to do another update you can put that one on your old card yourself and in case you run into some problems with downloading it you still have this new one as a backup one to at least still utilize your system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a very old version. Getting the recent one will definitely improve things for you. I recommend spending the extra $30 to have them send you a new SD card with the update already on it. This way in another year or so when you want to do another update you can put that one on your old card yourself and in case you run into some problems with downloading it you still have this new one as a backup one to at least still utilize your system.
That is a great idea and I'm going to go with it. The thought of taking matters into my own hands and saving $30 was intriguing at first, but it would obviously mean more work for me, and knowing my luck I'd probably wreck the card or erase something important.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
For Murphy's Law I backed up the Updated Software onto my 1 TB HDD and several WD USB Bkup Drives.
Used my original SD Card & Presume the Backup is Paste-able to new / old SD Card.

IF you have Win 10 you might read my post on Win Security Block trying to Clk on the Dnloaded Update -- setup.exe --
May not apply to you but better to know of potential.

Text Font Line Number Document

1 - 5 of 5 Posts