Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I brought a used 2015 SXL last summer with 65k miles. Not even 10k miles or a year later I’ve replaced the turbocharger return line 3 times (Kia’s part kept having a faulty gasket) and replaced the turbocharger ($3000 job) and now the car has been leaking oil and I took it to the dealership and now they say it has a blown head gasket. Estimating another $2200 to fix...anybody have similar issues? Should I just try to sell the car? Plz help

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
These cars are not really know for a trouble free life, but with the problems @ 70k miles, find unusual, especially 3 oil lines. The OE oil line. feed line, was prone to failure so Kia did replacements, mine at 115k miles and has been fine, now at 200k miles, but you mentioned return line? Don't know why 3 lines were needed, why the turbo needed replacement, or why the head gasket has been determined faulty without investigation, maybe stealership mechanics looking for big $$$$. Maybe I shouldn't use steralership and mechanic in the same sentence as from my experience, they leave a lot to be desired.

These cars don't bring top dollar if in great condition, and if trying to unload the car in it's present state, you'd really take a beating. Having said that, my advice is to bite the bullet, have the car fixed, then if the desire to unload is still fresh in your mind, give it a try to dump the money pit.

If the car can be driven, might want to get a quote from an independent garage to se if any savings might be found.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! My turbocharger burned out because the return line blew a gasket. The part was replaced but the dealership initially then I continued to have an oil leak. I took it back to them twice and both times they said the return line had a "faulty gasket" they fixed it for free so I didn't mind much. But now it has this issue, I'm going to take it to an independent mechanic and see what he says. Thanks for the advice! Definitely don't wanna take the beating on selling it right now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts