Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Optima Optima SX Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 SX Turbo 23000 miles. All of a sudden the other day I stopped getting any kind of sound from the head unit. No music, no navigation, no bluetooth. I can still see what is playing,switch stations, my navigation works but with no voice. I have checked the fuses. I have factory reset the head unit, disconnected the negative side of my battery for 45 minutes and now I disconnected the negative and positive on my battery. Has anybody had this type of problem before?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Hopefully it I'll be something simpler, but our '11 had a problem where Sirius wouldn't function. I had AM, FM, Nav, but the Sirius was frozen. Tried reset, sorry, can't remember the procedure at the present time, but will look it up, nothing corrected the problem. Purchased a used unit $90, did the install and been fine for 2 years.

There should be a tiny pin hole at the top right of the unit for a factory reset. It's really hard to see it, I think right next to the CD door...

Only problem I encountered about 3 months later on the way to Florida, the Sirius shut down and notification to call them. Never occurred to me that it was a different radio number and the subscription expired. Called and they put that number on my account and all was well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it I'll be something simpler, but our '11 had a problem where Sirius wouldn't function. I had AM, FM, Nav, but the Sirius was frozen. Tried reset, sorry, can't remember the procedure at the present time, but will look it up, nothing corrected the problem. Purchased a used unit $90, did the install and been fine for 2 years.

There should be a tiny pin hole at the top right of the unit for a factory reset. It's really hard to see it, I think right next to the CD door...

Only problem I encountered about 3 months later on the way to Florida, the Sirius shut down and notification to call them. Never occurred to me that it was a different radio number and the subscription expired. Called and they put that number on my account and all was well.
Hey Turbonut,
Thanks for trying. It's not the XM/Sirrius. That is still working. Actually everything still works it's just there is no sound. Even when pushing the buttons there is no sound. Navigation still works. Even bluetooth can hear my voice to dial someone but I get no sound back. It's so weird. Thankfully it's still under the 90 day/3000 mile warranty( this is the 2nd 2015 SX Turbo I bought) so I will call the dealership and let them worry about it lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went back to the dealer (Fette Kia) today. No sound and both taillights have condensation inside. They had order everything but will replace the amp and taillights under warranty. Extremely happy they just told me to bring the car back when the parts come in. How much does a stock amp cost?

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
That's great news they will replace the items! I found a couple Optima Infinity amps on eBay from $60 -150ish, not too bad.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Amp assembly $700, and I wasn't inferring that your Sirus was not functioning, just that with all the trouble shooting and tests I did it was a defective part, just like you found out, hopefully.
Used units <$100. Will they install new/used?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amp assembly $700, and I wasn't inferring that your Sirus was not functioning, just that with all the trouble shooting and tests I did it was a defective part, just like you found out, hopefully.
Used units <$100. Will they install new/used?
Not too sure. But he said ordered the parts and will call me when they get in. Hopefully new

·
Registered
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
2015 SX Turbo 23000 miles. All of a sudden the other day I stopped getting any kind of sound from the head unit. No music, no navigation, no bluetooth. I can still see what is playing,switch stations, my navigation works but with no voice. I have checked the fuses. I have factory reset the head unit, disconnected the negative side of my battery for 45 minutes and now I disconnected the negative and positive on my battery. Has anybody had this type of problem before?
You checked all the fuses involved with it? Sometimes they just go bad. You can buy a refurbished factory unit on eBay. If you decide to put an aftermarket stereo beware. All the SD peaked are 10 ohm, and almost all aftermarket stereos are 4 ohm. The resistance.....or ohms in the equipment needs to match. So, you can get a sweet head unit instslled, but the speskers will fart if you put any bass in them. So, low on dough...buy a rebuilt or just working stereo just like yours online. There is a small INFINITY Amp in the right rear side of the trunk. Just carefully pull the paneling out and you will see it easily. Maybe test that too. No amp, no output.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You checked all the fuses involved with it? Sometimes they just go bad. You can buy a refurbished factory unit on eBay. If you decide to put an aftermarket stereo beware. All the SD peaked are 10 ohm, and almost all aftermarket stereos are 4 ohm. The resistance.....or ohms in the equipment needs to match. So, you can get a sweet head unit instslled, but the speskers will fart if you put any bass in them. So, low on dough...buy a rebuilt or just working stereo just like yours online. There is a small INFINITY Amp in the right rear side of the trunk. Just carefully pull the paneling out and you will see it easily. Maybe test that too. No amp, no output.
They tested the amp today when I went to the dealer. I had checked the fuses, reset the radio from inside, disconnected the battery to reset it that way. I couldn't check if the amp was working so I figured since it's still under the 90 day/3000 mile warranty I would have them check it. Very grateful they are honest.

·
Registered
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
They tested the amp today when I went to the dealer. I had checked the fuses, reset the radio from inside, disconnected the battery to reset it that way. I couldn't check if the amp was working so I figured since it's still under the 90 day/3000 mile warranty I would have them check it. Very grateful they are honest.
Yeah....that was awesome. I think you need to replace it with the exact same model.
They are around $220 to $285 for 7" screen with infinity, with the higher priced models including GPS. Call a few junkyards if you want. This is the kind of thing where I want to roll up to a recycler/junkyard with your unit disconnected and drive over and have their guy plug their used unit in. If it works. Cough up the dough. Maybe they will give you a discount for the trade.
I really think there is an internal problem with your OEM unit that IS going to require replacement.
I just want to make it easy for you. Either junkyard or online is best bet (half the time on ebay auto you ARE buying from a junkyard).
This problem would drive me NUTZ. If you can afford to replace the head unit then do so.....I would end up down the rabbits hole and buying a whole new name brand system!
So you have a few things to think about. The rear view camera on your Kia stereo is proprietary and there is no "adapter" so you have to run a whole new camera and yellow RCA jack from the camera to the new name brand stereo. I suggest the ALPINE ILX-650 already has a 50x4 max amp, fits perfect)....and its very expandable.
-Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has happened to me a few times. It was suggested remove the fuse & then put it back in.
To do so you’ll need the fuse removal tool - located in the fuse box in the engine bay - it is white plastic & looks like a pair of tweezers. Should be at the front or rear of the fuse box. Fuse box is by the battery.
Next open the interior fuse box located under the dashboard by the steering column. Locate 15A Multimedia in the top left hand corner, use the “tweezers” to pull the fuse out, wait a few minutes and reinstall. May have to do this a few times.
(Google 2015 Kia Optima FuseBox to be sure you are pulling the correct fuse).
Try the radio out. If that does fix the problem then likely you’ll need a new fuse but hopefully this will resolve the issue. Good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I go to the dealer. He replaced the 2 tail lights. He comes out and says they sent the wrong amp and it keeps blowing the fuse so I have to come back the following week. I drove up on Tuesday and they replaced it in like 45 min. Works great. I have sound yeahhhhhhhh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts