Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum here. So we bought our car in 2015 brand new, warranty ran out in July 2020 here in Canada. We have 89.000kms on the car and last night while driving home the engine just died, lights flashing all over the dash and was just dead on the side of the road. I tried to start it after and there was this loud whining sound and nothing. I waited a min and tried again and it fired up but the engine is making a very loud ticking/clacking sound, I was 2 blocks from home so I threw it in drive and crawled it to my driveway but I couldn't accelerate without the engine making loud sounds and the car dying so I barely touched the pedal, just enough to go maybe 15km hr to my driveway. I do recall last year getting a letter from KIA saying we needed to get some update done because of possible engine failures with the car, we had that done immediately but I kind of remember another letter saying that there is a lifetime warranty on the motor in regards to this update or something along those lines. Obviously Ill get it towed to KIA tomorrow morning (Monday) but does anyone have any info regarding this same sort of issue??? I'm not a mechanic but I am handy around cars, in all honestly the engine sounds like its blown.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
92 Posts
Same thing happened to mine after i got my car back from the shop, they drained the oil and never filled it up so the engine overheated and caused rod nock.

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
92 Posts
So check and see if you have oil, if i remember correctly what fails is a rod bearing, it shatters and destroys your cylinder.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I don't claim to know all the details regarding Kia Canada warranty but is your engine still under the factory powertrain warranty? If so, then you should be good to go if it turns out that your engine is covered under the well-known engine failure issue; if outside the powertrain warranty then yeah hopefully you had that update done since I believe post-factory warranty Kia will offer lifetime warranty coverage for the engine failure only if the update had been applied prior to the failure...but I'll let other folks more knowledgable in this area chime in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't claim to know all the details regarding Kia Canada warranty but is your engine still under the factory powertrain warranty? If so, then you should be good to go if it turns out that your engine is covered under the well-known engine failure issue; if outside the powertrain warranty then yeah hopefully you had that update done since I believe post-factory warranty Kia will offer lifetime warranty coverage for the engine failure only if the update had been applied prior to the failure...but I'll let other folks more knowledgable in this area chime in.
Thats what my understanding is. My factory warranty ran out July 2020 but we did get the letter in the mail a year or so ago and we did go in immediately at that time and had the update done.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Keep us posted on what transpires at the dealer tow-in / diagnosis.
Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep us posted on what transpires at the dealer tow-in / diagnosis.
Fingers crossed for you.
Will do. I have free towing with my insurance so I had it towed tonthe dealer this morning and I will be there early tomorrow morning to figure it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the forum here. So we bought our car in 2015 brand new, warranty ran out in July 2020 here in Canada. We have 89.000kms on the car and last night while driving home the engine just died, lights flashing all over the dash and was just dead on the side of the road. I tried to start it after and there was this loud whining sound and nothing. I waited a min and tried again and it fired up but the engine is making a very loud ticking/clacking sound, I was 2 blocks from home so I threw it in drive and crawled it to my driveway but I couldn't accelerate without the engine making loud sounds and the car dying so I barely touched the pedal, just enough to go maybe 15km hr to my driveway. I do recall last year getting a letter from KIA saying we needed to get some update done because of possible engine failures with the car, we had that done immediately but I kind of remember another letter saying that there is a lifetime warranty on the motor in regards to this update or something along those lines. Obviously Ill get it towed to KIA tomorrow morning (Monday) but does anyone have any info regarding this same sort of issue??? I'm not a mechanic but I am handy around cars, in all honestly the engine sounds like its blown.

Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like you lost oil pressure and the engine seized. There is an active recall on engine failures due to metal debris left on the crankshaft at the factory that happened to Kia engines built in Alabama. You may be out of luck because these failures usually happen rather quickly within the first several thousand miles. However my GF's 2012 SX GDI turbo with 102,000 miles had the loose steering issue (another recall) that was fixed by the dealer for free. What model is your car and what engine does it have, ie 2.4 non turbo, 2.0 turbo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you lost oil pressure and the engine seized. There is an active recall on engine failures due to metal debris left on the crankshaft at the factory that happened to Kia engines built in Alabama. You may be out of luck because these failures usually happen rather quickly within the first several thousand miles. However my GF's 2012 SX GDI turbo with 102,000 miles had the loose steering issue (another recall) that was fixed by the dealer for free. What model is your car and what engine does it have, ie 2.4 non turbo, 2.0 turbo?
2015 SX 2.0 turbo. 89,000kms. Ive had a few people message me today saying this happened to theirs out of warranty period as well and it was no questions asked at the dealer for a new motor.... I got it started this morning but its in limp mode, rpm only go to just under 2k rpm and its just knocking and clacking. I turned it off, cakled a tow truck and its now sitting at the dealership. They open at 8 bells tomorrow and ill be there waiting

·
Registered
53 Posts
2015 SX 2.0 turbo. 89,000kms. Ive had a few people message me today saying this happened to theirs out of warranty period as well and it was no questions asked at the dealer for a new motor.... I got it started this morning but its in limp mode, rpm only go to just under 2k rpm and its just knocking and clacking. I turned it off, cakled a tow truck and its now sitting at the dealership. They open at 8 bells tomorrow and ill be there waiting
Sorry for your predicament. I just got a '12 Optima SX off of GF, she bought a Cadillac. I actually ran a garage in the eighties but I have no experience with Kia, as this is a hand me down. Lots of bad press on the engines.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry for your predicament. I just got a '12 Optima SX off of GF, she bought a Cadillac. I actually ran a garage in the eighties but I have no experience with Kia, as this is a hand me down. Lots of bad press on the engines. I guess a 103K is lucky! I'm used to Hondas, which run forever but mine blew a differential axle shaft bearing. On a Honda, no less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts