Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 SXL
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed tons of condensation build up on my car and brought it into the dealer around 60k miles and they said they fixed it.. A few months later now the left tail has condensation build up and it does not light up all the way... I brought it to the dealer and they said its not covered anymore... How can i fix this problem? I'd like to try tomorrow... Ty!

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
I noticed tons of condensation build up on my car and brought it into the dealer around 60k miles and they said they fixed it.. A few months later now the left tail has condensation build up and it does not light up all the way... I brought it to the dealer and they said its not covered anymore... How can i fix this problem? I'd like to try tomorrow... Ty!
I have the same issue, my right taillight gets water inside of it. The LEDs still work fine though.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
There is a TSB for it, so I am puzzled why they didn't cover it. Time to involve higher powers. Manager, then Kia Corp.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Took my car into Kia to fix the sunroof noise issue and they said they will also replace the tail light. I have 50,000 miles on mine so i just made it within the 60000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
503 Posts
Took my car into Kia to fix the sunroof noise issue and they said they will also replace the tail light. I have 50,000 miles on mine so i just made it within the 60000 mile warranty.
IF this is about the HVAC Flutter sound on Fan Hi .... Be sure & post what the Fix was; For Blackjackmark it was Re-glue'ing the rubber seals around the Pano Roof area after a soapy water test around the Pano roof edges. The TSB Fix for High Cabin Pressure from a faulty trunk component didn't help a bit for me.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
So I got the tail light replaced, all was well. Then it snows, and i discover water in the same tail light they replaced! So now I have to bring it back.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
28 Posts
Just went with this myself a few weeks ago. Right outer tail light. They replaced it under warranty and the known fix that they have is a weather gasket that apparently is thicker and seals off the backside of the housing better. So they told me. We shall see!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
503 Posts
So I got the tail light replaced, all was well. Then it snows, and i discover water in the same tail light they replaced! So now I have to bring it back.
Did they Fix the Sunroof Noise and do you know HOW?
Presume THIS is a Flutter heard with FAN On HI or just one-notch lower. Thought to be HVAC connected but I heard it with JUST the Fan on HI.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
15 SXL
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Folks I need updates
We need to get our voices heard for this issue!
Anyone got the TB # or reference for this?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
I think you just have to purchase a new tail light. Yea, its only covered under the 60k warranty. I got lucky, mine happened at 50k.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
I think you just have to purchase a new tail light. Yea, its only covered under the 60k warranty. I got lucky, mine happened at 50k.
Don't you love advancements in technology? "Your tail light is out, that will be $800."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just hit this issue with my 2015 Optima SX Turbo. Taking it to a dealer on Friday, dealer says it should be covered by warranty. I am the 2nd owner of the car but thanks to Kia being good about transferring warranty to 2nd owners, I am covered.
The obvious question is if the the driver side light is set up to have this same problem, I don't see why it wouldn't be an issue on both sides. But every reference to this problem is on the passenger side. Anyone have this issue on the driver side or asked the dealer about it happening on the driver side? I plan to ask about that on Friday. What I'm wondering is if there is something I can do to shore up the weather seal at the problem area myself.

·
Registered
15' K5 SXL
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just hit this issue with my 2015 Optima SX Turbo. Taking it to a dealer on Friday, dealer says it should be covered by warranty. I am the 2nd owner of the car but thanks to Kia being good about transferring warranty to 2nd owners, I am covered.
The obvious question is if the the driver side light is set up to have this same problem, I don't see why it wouldn't be an issue on both sides. But every reference to this problem is on the passenger side. Anyone have this issue on the driver side or asked the dealer about it happening on the driver side? I plan to ask about that on Friday. What I'm wondering is if there is something I can do to shore up the weather seal at the problem area myself.
Any update on that? 15' SXL with same issue, taking it up this weekend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife was following me one night and took a picture of the tail lights, and a segment of the LEDs on the passenger side was out. After looking at it you could see there was some condensation within the housing. There is actually a TSB for it, and it specifies how to fix it. According to the TSB this is caused by a gap between the housing gasket and panels which doesn't allow water to easily evaporate. The solution is to add additional foam gasket after drying it out (somehow).

But that's kind of a half-a$$ed fix, if you ask me. The condensation is one thing, but for me a portion of the lighting was out. So I brought it to a dealer and they replaced both of them. I believe they were under warranty (the car was 4 years old with about 36k miles at the time), but if you're out of warranty and feel like doing a little fixer-upper stuff, a set should be relatively cheap and relatively easy to install on your own, as long as you have a 10mm socket wrench.

I'm not sure about what kind of gasket material should be used or how to use it, but if you ask me I think it's worth the $$ to get brand new ones rather than trying to retrofit old ones with some sealant.

BTW the TSB number is PS364. Enjoy!

·
Registered
15' K5 SXL
4 Posts
My wife was following me one night and took a picture of the tail lights, and a segment of the LEDs on the passenger side was out. After looking at it you could see there was some condensation within the housing. There is actually a TSB for it, and it specifies how to fix it. According to the TSB this is caused by a gap between the housing gasket and panels which doesn't allow water to easily evaporate. The solution is to add additional foam gasket after drying it out (somehow).

But that's kind of a half-a$$ed fix, if you ask me. The condensation is one thing, but for me a portion of the lighting was out. So I brought it to a dealer and they replaced both of them. I believe they were under warranty (the car was 4 years old with about 36k miles at the time), but if you're out of warranty and feel like doing a little fixer-upper stuff, a set should be relatively cheap and relatively easy to install on your own, as long as you have a 10mm socket wrench.

I'm not sure about what kind of gasket material should be used or how to use it, but if you ask me I think it's worth the $$ to get brand new ones rather than trying to retrofit old ones with some sealant.

BTW the TSB number is PS364. Enjoy!
Thank you sir, I appreciate it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts