15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there problems with the 2015 kia
optima sxl turbo led brake lights?
….And if so do you really need to replace the
entire Outer lens? I cant believe an
issue with bulbs not working would
require replacement of the entire
lens....$150 if I'm lucky to find used to $550 new.
Please advise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI David,
The LEDs for the Brake Lights, only in the left outside Lens, stopped working.

Do I really have to buy the entire Left outside Lens....or is there maybe a fuse that controls only that side....the Right side works fine.
Greg

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,012 Posts
HI David,
The LEDs for the Brake Lights, only in the left outside Lens, stopped working.

Do I really have to buy the entire Left outside Lens....or is there maybe a fuse that controls only that side....the Right side works fine.
Greg
Yes, you would need to replace that piece if a portion of the LED inside is no longer working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So.....other than replacing the enbtire lens.....Does anyone know of any other things that might make it APPEAR that the LED bulbs went out on this brake lights. I was thinking something in the way of fuses, but someone else was mentioning something about the power blocks that step down the voltage for the LED's could have gone bad????

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,012 Posts
So.....other than replacing the enbtire lens.....Does anyone know of any other things that might make it APPEAR that the LED bulbs went out on this brake lights. I was thinking something in the way of fuses, but someone else was mentioning something about the power blocks that step down the voltage for the LED's could have gone bad????
Brother, I think you may be confused here.

The LED Tail Lights on the Optima do not use bulbs, therefore, there is no way to replace the part that burned out.

It is a PCB style circuit board that powers the surface mounted LEDs. There are not fuses for each section of each tail light, as it doesn't work that way.

There is one fuse for the Tail Lights and that provides power to the entire rear lighting of the tail lights. (All 4 pieces)

I get it, you are really hoping that you don't have to spend the money to replace the light, but it doesn't really sound like that is going to be an option.

If you want to post a pic for us to see so I can confirm, please do. However, I am nearly positive based on the way you describe it, that you will need to replace the tail light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding. I appreciate the definitive information. I realized that LEDs weren't bulbs...just wondering if there was even the remotest possibility that maybe that series of LEDs would pull out as a strip that could be repleced. I ended up replacing both of the entire taillight module/lenses....cheapest new was $306 each. I wasn't going to buy a used one as there might have been a flaw with the LEDs in the original modules. Again Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima Turbo SXL
1 Posts
Are there problems with the 2015 kia
optima sxl turbo led brake lights?
….And if so do you really need to replace the
entire Outer lens? I cant believe an
issue with bulbs not working would
require replacement of the entire
lens....$150 if I'm lucky to find used to $550 new.
Please advise.
I had to replace the whole housing. Only a portion went out but dealership replaced under warranty. I believe the OEM part is around $600

1 - 12 of 12 Posts