Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a solution to my car swaying. My optima is a nightmare to drive on the highway especially if the wind kicks up a little, or if I'm passing a semi. I feel I'm all over the road which causes me to do lots of correcting which I'm ready to put a end to it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Know it's a simplistic question, but what make/model/size tires on the car along with current air pressure in each tire?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know it's a simplistic question, but what make/model/size tires on the car along with current air pressure in each tire?
I have Goodyear assurance A/S tires 205/65/16 with 34 psi all the way around which has about 80 % thread on them.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Time to check the alignment?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Certainly an alignment would be a good start, but I was looking for something that would standout e.g. cheap tires that would have soft sidewalls, or inflation pressure well out of line, but they seem to be fine.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
I would also recommend checking the air pressure in the tires, and checking the alignment as well.

However, if your alignment is good, and the proper air is in all tires, you could always look into upgrading to a thicker/solid sway bar.

The 2015 Optima LX comes standard with a hollow 15mm rear sway bar.

We carry a solid 1pc 18mm sway bar, which makes a significant difference.

You can find it on our website here: Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar - Anti Roll/Stabilizer Bar - K5 Optima Store

Just let us know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
The only item that stands out is the GY tires only have a 5.5" tread width while some others in the same size have 6.5" width. I also would go one size wider when the next set is need 215/60-16, but check out the tread width before purchase as in every size it will vary considerably.

Not to start a war, but if tires are over inflated that can contribute to wander problems, so if you haven't, dropthe air down to the factory setting and see if any difference, and use a gauge that is accurate.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sway bars do not come into play going straight down the highway, so please stop trying to sell the OP stuff he does not need...

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
8 Posts
Bad shocks could cause this symptom, as well. Check for signs of oil leakage or collapsed shocks. How many miles on the car? Shocks need replacing, eventually. Try some high-end gas shocks, that'll make a difference.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
Not to start a war, but if tires are over inflated that can contribute to wander problems, so if you haven't, dropthe air down to the factory setting and see if any difference, and use a gauge that is accurate.
Very good point, this absolutely will contribute if the tires are overinflated.

Sway bars do not come into play going straight down the highway, so please stop trying to sell the OP stuff he does not need...
I’m sorry you feel that way, I disagree and this is a public forum where everyone is entitled to post. So please stop telling other members what to do...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You tried to sell me sway bars in the past also for the same problem. They only come into play during cornering so my comment stands.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
You tried to sell me sway bars in the past also for the same problem. They only come into play during cornering so my comment stands.
As I mentioned, this is a public forum so you have every right to post here, just as much as I do.

I recommended what I think would help correct the issue to the OP, and in this case I recommended the heavier duty, more solid swaybar to assist with excessive swaying of the vehicle.

Thank you for your input...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight, but as far as the sway bar recommendation goes--if it does help then IMHO it is simply masking or mitigating the issue since it doesn't really help pinpoint the source that is causing the wandering issue to begin with. Given that OP's car is ~5 years old, anything's possible that might explain the behavior...or it could possibly be the type of pavement OP is driving on where he experiences the issue--he didn't mention if it occurs only at highway speeds and/or when driving at moderate speeds on city streets.

Not sure if OP is the original owner of the vehicle, but given that he stated his current tires have 80% tread on them, that would seem to imply that those aren't the original tires--not unless OP hasn't put a lot of miles on those tires since 2015 since I can't imagine a tire losing ONLY 20% treadlife over the course of FIVE years. OP--what tires did you have on your car before you got the Goodyears, and did the behavior exist with those previous tires as well?

·
Registered
'13 K5
25 Posts
Common issues for, any car type, causing a vague feeling while on the interstate can be worn control arm bushings and/or worn ball joints. Do some checks for up/down or side/side play of the wheel while it is jacked up. This was a big problem with E36 BMW's where it almost felt like the front end would "dance" across the interstate. Usually the rear most lower control arm bushing but give a look at all of them.

How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
  1. I don't have a dog in this fight, but as far as the sway bar recommendation goes--if it does help then IMHO it is simply masking or mitigating the issue since it doesn't really help pinpoint the source that is causing the wandering issue to begin with. Given that OP's car is ~5 years old, anything's possible that might explain the behavior...or it could possibly be the type of pavement OP is driving on where he experiences the issue--he didn't mention if it occurs only at highway speeds and/or when driving at moderate speeds on city streets.

Not sure if OP is the original owner of the vehicle, but given that he stated his current tires have 80% tread on them, that would seem to imply that those aren't the original tires--not unless OP hasn't put a lot of miles on those tires since 2015 since I can't imagine a tire losing ONLY 20% treadlife over the course of FIVE years. OP--what tires did you have on your car before you got the Goodyears, and did the behavior exist with those previous tires as well?
Before I had the Goodyear's it was just some cheap Chinese tires on it. And as far as the terrain I drive it's curvy highways and loose gravel I drive around 60 miles daily, And yea the problem has been there since I've had the car. I've taken it to my mechanic and he's checked out the basics and looked for frame damage he can't finds any problems even though he notices the swaying as well.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think a salesman should know what products do and don't do, but that's just me...

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
I think a salesman should know what products do and don't do, but that's just me...
Enough, you’ve said your part. I’m not a salesman, I’m the owner of my company, and furthermore, your random posting from Google doesn’t prove that what I’m suggesting is incorrect. I have no interest in continuing to converse with you regarding this, we can agree to disagree and move on. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Before I had the Goodyear's it was just some cheap Chinese tires on it. And as far as the terrain I drive it's curvy highways and loose gravel I drive around 60 miles daily, And yea the problem has been there since I've had the car.
Hmmm sounds like you're not the original owner and/or did not buy your car brand-new? Not saying that the issue can't still be either mechanical or tire-related but if you're not the original owner, then pretty much it could have started sometime between when it was new and when you took ownership of the car since otherwise I'd imagine the original owner would have had the dealer look into it under warranty. Like I said earlier, the car is ~5 years old so it could be almost anything--the trick is to find a very knowledgable and experience mechanic to really look at it with a fine-tooth comb...hope you eventually find someone who can finally pinpoint the cause.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts