Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, I was hoping someone could answer here. I have searched the internet with no luck. We have a 2015 Kia Optima EX. My wife has always left the headlights in Auto and she swears, that there was a daytime running light present on the car. I don't know which light it was though. I am pretty sure that one was illuminated before also. So we had to take the car to the shop for one of the automatic fold up mirrors, that decided it didn't want to fold up anymore. She actually asked the tech which light was supposed to illuminate as the DRL because I was going to just change the bulb. They told her that the car did not have DRL's. So, are we crazy or does something on the front of this car function as a DRL. I thought possibly the low beam bulb was using a dual filament and running one filament for the DRL and the other for the actual headlight, but the bulb looks to be a single filament. Could it have been the fog/driving lights were on and that was what we always seen?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
14-15s don’t have DRL’s at all regardless of trim. Maybe you guys were seeing the headlights on and assuming they were the DRL’s. There is also the possibility you guys have a late model 15 EX model with the LED positioning light in the headlights (it’s a LED strip). I drive with the headlights in the ON position because it simply looks better with the low beam and fogs on than having nothing on.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Congrats on getting your 2015 Optima EX.

14-15s don’t have DRL’s at all regardless of trim.
This is not correct...

Only the higher trim levels SX & SX-L models have the LED strip in the top of the headlights that light up as DRL's.

Now we do sell the Dual Projector headlights for the 2014-2015 models on our website.

However, this is how the headlamps look on the 14-15 Optima with the built in DRL's.

However, if you guys are looking for an affordable DRL option for the Optima, that won't break the bank, we have the perfect solutions below.

1) 2014-2015 Kia Optima Daytime Running Lights W/ Optional Turn Signal LEDs - K5 Optima Store

&

2) 2014-2015 Kia Optima Dual Colored Quad LED Fog Lights - K5 Optima Store

Let us know if you have any questions about the products above, or anything else. ;)

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
This is not correct...

Only the higher trim levels SX & SX-L models have the LED strip in the top of the headlights that light up as DRL's.
I was referring to actual functioning DRLs the LED strip is only activated when the parking lamps and/or headlights are turned on. Plus the EX was also available with the LED strip if the car was equipped with the tech pkg. The 2013 Optima was the ONLY year of this generation that had actual LED DRL’s that ran during the daytime (ofc this is only for the SX-Limited trim). Unless OPs vehicle is a Canadian model they won’t have DRLs as a 2015 model.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
I was referring to actual functioning DRLs the LED strip is only activated when the parking lamps and/or headlights are turned on. Plus the EX was also available with the LED strip if the car was equipped with the tech pkg. The 2013 Optima was the ONLY year of this generation that had actual LED DRL’s that ran during the daytime (ofc this is only for the SX-Limited trim). Unless OPs vehicle is a Canadian model they won’t have DRLs as a 2015 model.
Oh I see what you mean, in that case, you are correct. When I see the acronym “DRL” being used, I assume it is being used to refer to as any front facing white lighting on a vehicle, that isn’t really designed for lighting up the roadway, but acting simply as a “Daytime Running Light” which is required on Canadian vehicles, but not here in the US.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Notwithstanding the comments about actual DRLs on the 14-15 Optimas--for the 4th-gen Optimas that have the LED strip at the top of the headlight assembly, the LED strips actually do function as DRLs; on my 2018 SXL they are lit when headlight switch is in the AUTO position and there is enough outside ambient light, but can be manually turned off by turning the headlight switch to the "DRL Off" position (which essentially ensures that all exterior non-turn signal or non-revers lights remain off). That the headlight switch includes an explicitly-labeled "DRL Off" position would seem to imply the existence of a DRL function on the vehicle, I would think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts