Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my antenna cover came off during a car wash today. I have the piece, which isn’t cracked or anything. The car wash manager filled out a “report” so I am hoping that no matter what the cost is, they will cover it, since it was their wash process that took the thing off. I know this appears to be somewhat common. I called a few Kia dealers and one indicated the repair would be a few hundred dollars while another said $650. With that said, I think I could super glue the thing back on, if the repair is pretty intense.

What have others done? What’s your experience with car washes and getting them to pay after providing them an estimate. This is brand new car wash, so I can’t imagine there are going fight me on this since it was clearly their wash process that caused this. I have gotten my Kia washed before at other car washes and this is the first time this has happend.

Thanks!

Darth vader Coffin Automotive lighting Vehicle
Vehicle Car Vehicle door

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty sure I can glue it back on... but is that the smartest option? Will the cold temps/weather wear that glue down over time?

Also, does anyone know if my antenna area is exposed to the elements for a few days or a week, will that affect anything?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had an aftermarket antenna on my Mazda3 that I accidentally sheared off with a snow broom. Krazy Glue or anything like that should work just fine, as it appears to me that it's just a plastic cover that protects the components within.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
28,964 Posts
That's exactly right, this is just a plastic enclosure, and it has nothing to do with the electronics below it.

So if you are able to properly re-seal it again, it should not be an issue.

If you are really concerned, just buy a new cover from eBay as they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
5 Posts
I am pretty sure I can glue it back on... but is that the smartest option? Will the cold temps/weather wear that glue down over time?

Also, does anyone know if my antenna area is exposed to the elements for a few days or a week, will that affect anything?
Yes, my Optima shark fin cover was missing for at least a week before I replaced it. It worked fine but I was concerned that eventually water my get in so I put sealant over the open screw shanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened with my 2015 Kia Optima. Dealer response, *$711.26". This is OBVIOUSLY a flaw with manufacturing, AND dealer exacerbates it, loosening it up during service by taking it through car wash and not informing consumer of the flaw... I typically hand wash my vehicles. A scam. But, before finding this forum discussing this, found a cheap fin online for replacement... Thank You Lord!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
120 Posts
Dodge chargers come from the factory without the shark fin installed. I have them sit for months before they get installed. I would recommend silicone or something to that extent in case you ever have to remove it. Krazy glue and urethane would work as well they are just much more permanent solutions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dodge chargers come from the factory without the shark fin installed. I have them sit for months before they get installed. I would recommend silicone or something to that extent in case you ever have to remove it. Krazy glue and urethane would work as well they are just much more permanent solutions.
Thank you was going to use crazy glue, but may try silicone instead. Found out Autozone can order a part ($9.99). But, it's a universal type fin.

·
Registered
2019 Optima S, Horizon Blue
44 Posts
Never seen the underside of the fin, but wouldn’t 3m double sided tape hold it on. (Same tape used for window vent shades, spoilers, etc…)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Careful using crazy glue on black plastic. The fumes will turn anything they contact white. RTV would be a better choice since is designed for automtive use and adheres better to automotive plastics, forms a water tight seal, and can be removed just use the correct RTV. The shark fin falling is not a uncommon problem across OEMs. Normally I hand wash my car, but it was too cold last weekend so I went to a local carwash place and the employees at the pay booth where taping down sharkfins on every car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
120 Posts
They just friction fit on a rubber seal. Rtv household silicone caulk, whatever. Just make sure it’s removable. I build police cars and all we use to seal roofs and firewalls is black silicone caulk from a company like dap that you can get a tube from any Home Depot for a couple bucks. Mix a spray bottle of dawn and water for cleanup. Easy 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
699 Posts

For future Uh-Oh's I ordered this just for Murphy's Law although No car wash will ever touch my car for THIS reason.
Kia Box shows # 96219 D5000EBQK

$X00's quotes Presume, I'm sure, the Base Electronics are involved , not just cover.

Reactions: thearborbarber

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exact same thing just happened to me. Unfortunately, I live in the northeast, so winters get cold and therefore I can't handwash then. Cover got ripped off, and when I noticed and went back to the car wash, guy looked but couldn't find it. I just ordered a new one on Ebay for $14 including shipping, so I guess I'll just eat it. Hoping it's not difficult to install, and that I get it in time before the elements attack it. Really stinks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2015 KIA Optima, my fin also came off during a car wash, they did replace the part, but not installation. I brought my car into City KIA in South Orlando and they originally wanted $500, I said no, then they went down to $425, I said no, then $350, still said no. $500...??? to $350...!!!???, still said no. Found out that there is, in fact, an issue with design, but it is not a safety issue, therefore, no actual recall. Went to a auto parts chain near me, they confirmed what so many have said in this forum, bought silicone...followed directions.... and it works....no issues whatsoever!! This was the third time KIA has changed prices, once was going to cost $2000.00 until I challenged it and found a recall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.