Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Reason I ask is that our Korean built as well as the parts show both US and Korean ball joint numbers.

• Description:
    Cadenza. Optima. Korea build.

2015 Kia OptimaEX, LX, Limited, SX, SX Turbo, SXL Turbo2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2014 Kia OptimaEX, LX, Limited, SX, SX Turbo, SXL Turbo2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2013 Kia OptimaEX, LX, SX, SXL2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2012 Kia OptimaEX, LX, SX2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2011 Kia OptimaEX, LX, SX2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reason I ask is that our Korean built as well as the parts show both US and Korean ball joint numbers.

This is the one that's on the car now.

It was in the garage today as they were going to install the part that you have pictured. But the control arm on my car is one solid piece like the one shown in the link.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Never saw a Kia LCA with a non replaceable LBJ, especially when the parts catalog shows a replacement, but certainly haven't worked on all the years.

Having said that, can't believe that they are different dimensionally as the side rails and knuckles are the same, at least in the Kia catalog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having said that, can't believe that they are different dimensionally as the side rails and knuckles are the same, at least in the Kia catalog.
That's what we are wondering. I may just take a chance and order the part and hope that it fits. If not I might be able to return it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Picture is deceptive as the new LCA looks shorter. Before removing the arm, take a couple measurements to be sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For anyone who ever needs to know, I had the steel arm installed in place of the aluminum one. Fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
For anyone who ever needs to know, I had the steel arm installed in place of the aluminum one. Fit perfectly.
(y) Thanks for the update. Easy to say now, but with the frame and other components the same, thought it might work, but wasn't going to stick my neck out and say it definitely will fit, so now we know the aluminum/metal arms are interchangeable.

Also learned something new that the BJ's are part of the aluminum arm
and not replaceable.

·
Registered
2014 Optima LX
2 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :0)
I have the exact same issue and the original OEM Korean Built control arm at my Kia Dealership is 1300$ CAD EACH?? :eek: .. OUCH!!. I checked for it at local auto parts and they are all in the 500 to 700$ range.. this is crazy.. I will go ahead and do the same and get the US control arm which will be a fraction of the cost.. I don't believe I Race with this Sedan family car to really see a difference with aluminium arms anyway...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :0)
I have the exact same issue and the original OEM Korean Built control arm at my Kia Dealership is 1300$ CAD EACH?? :eek: .. OUCH!!. I checked for it at local auto parts and they are all in the 500 to 700$ range.. this is crazy.. I will go ahead and do the same and get the US control arm which will be a fraction of the cost.. I don't believe I Race with this Sedan family car to really see a difference with aluminium arms anyway...
No problem, Here is the exact one that I bought:

I got the cheapest one possible in case it didn't fit. Having said that, it's cheap. Rust will be an issue with paint that won't stand up to rock chips. If you don't live in area that uses salt on the road in the winter, not a big deal. I coated mine to make it last, but you could also buy a higher quality one with better paint on it.

Disclaimer, just because it fit mine, I can't guarantee that it will work on yours. But it should.

·
Registered
2014 Optima LX
2 Posts
No problem, Here is the exact one that I bought:

I got the cheapest one possible in case it didn't fit. Having said that, it's cheap. Rust will be an issue with paint that won't stand up to rock chips. If you don't live in area that uses salt on the road in the winter, not a big deal. I coated mine to make it last, but you could also buy a higher quality one with better paint on it.

Disclaimer, just because it fit mine, I can't guarantee that it will work on yours. But it should.
I'll do like you did and take my chances as well.. Thank you again for posting this!! Really appreciate it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts