Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was able to nearly complete a head unit swap into my '14 SX-T with Infinity & NAV thanks to both Axxess and all of you fine forum folk who have done swaps with your Infinity w/ NAV systems. I have a small issue though, and hopefully someone can point out what I've done wrong. As it stands, everything is working except for the reverse camera; that includes factory mic, steering wheel controls, and climate control. I am slightly disappointed in the fact that the POT on the AX-HYKIA1-SWC box doesn't allow the factory amp volume control to go up as far as I'd like. It's a digital control, so when I turn it, I can tell it's digitally adjusting the volume via CANbus on the amp, but it seems like it's only hitting about 28-30 level-wise vs the 33-34 I usually run it at. But that's to be expected, and it's still plenty loud and clean.

Here's my parts list:
Pioneer AVH-2330NEX
AX-HYKIA1-SWC
AX-HYKIA-SPDIF
Metra 95-7359B
AX-CAM6V
MicroBypass
14-15 Optima Dual Zone Climate Control w/ built-in display (Non-Broken unit, has its own display vs using CANbus to display on factory NAV)

I wired everything up nice and snug per the instructions, including the factory camera, but the camera wasn't activating in reverse and even when manually activating on the head unit, I'd get no output. After the 2nd time of breaking the wiring down to inspect, and then connecting it up in-car, my AX-CAM6V got so hot that smoke started rolling out of both ends of the protective heat-shrink wrap. I thought I was just seeing dust at first, but it got quite a bit heavier as time progressed, and of course, I turned off the ignition and opened my door and the radio just kept going, so I had to yank the battery cable off real fast.

Other than a freak-out, everything is fine as far as I can tell. I haven't a clue if the factory camera got damaged during this, but I'm going to proceed as normal with trying to get it working.

My other wiring is all good, but I think I've goofed something with the camera circuit. I wired a male RCA cable with positive going to Connector A, Pin 2 and negative/ground going to Connector A, Pin 3. I then wired my AX-CAM6V with ground going to Connector A, Pin 4, Blue/White going to Connector A, Pin 18, and Blue/Red going to Connector A, Pin 11. My only guess is that because I didn't ground Connector A, Pin 4 and only had it going to ground for the camera itself, the circuit wasn't completing and shorting out the system. I can't be positive, but I'm wondering if that's my mistake? I used the following articles to wire up the camera, but maybe I read something wrong:

https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23-entertainment-audio-navigation-electronics/122289-alpine-8-x008u-replace-navi-post1785345.html#post1785345

https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23-entertainment-audio-navigation-electronics/126537-help-installing-new-head-unit-2011-optima-nav-infinity-update-installed-2.html

I don't care about the camera as much, but my wife uses it. I do still find it convenient, especially backing out from a parking spot so I can see if anyone is coming.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is the last piece of the puzzle. New head is night and day difference, though I do miss the 8 inch screen vs the 7 that I have now. But the better bluetooth, interface, sound control, and features make up for that 1 inch difference

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welllllll.....I probably scared some of you off with my long post, my apologies. Part of the post was a semi-success install post, because I haven't seen any posts about a successful 2014-2015 install.

I think I've confirmed my original concern, which is that I may not have connected ground properly (only did Connector A, Pin 2). I'm going to retrace this, but since I basically fried my AX-CAM6V, probably gonna have to order another one and see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From my resources (may be a different trim), your connections could either be in the 24pin plug or the 18 pin plug. To verify, in your 24pin plug, do you and a white wire in pin 6 and a yellow wire in pin 18? Or do you have a white and a yellow wire in your 18 pin plug in pin 2 and 3?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check out my thread, if the wiring harness matches
https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23-entertainment-audio-navigation-electronics/167773-12-sx-navi-aftermarket-head-unit-conversion-complete.html

For Reverse Camera Power - you need AX-CAM6V. I wired the 12V "Reverse" (Blue/White) wire to the accessory wire so that camera always gets power. For ground, you need to connect the AX-CAM6V Ground (black) Car Ground (either use ground wire on harness, or add a pin for connector B pin 23, which is also ground) and camera power ground (connector A, pin 4), which is wired as a speaker output on the Axxess harnes so i just re-used the wire. Finally, connect the AX-CAM6V Camera Power wire (blue/red) to Connector A Pin 11 (it's also speaker wire on the Axxess)
For Reverse Camera Video - buy a video RCA cable, cut it, and connect Connector A, pin 2 to positive/inner wire, and Connector A pin 3 to negative-outer wire. On the axxess side, these are non-amped speaker wires so you can cut and splice to the RCA.

Does the pot on AX-HYKIA1-SWC do anything? I have to crank my volume pretty high on highways and get distortion in certain use cases and Axxess support has been completely useless on the matter and couldn't answer if the pot will adjust anything. I've been meaning to open up my dash again to mess with it.

Edit: Yes, the pot does in fact make the system louder. Wish it was documented from the get-go. It looks to be back in documentation on AX-HYKIA3-SWC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Speeder
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing