Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother has a 2014 Kia Optima EX Hybrid which has HID low beam headlights. Fortunately I was jut able to barely change the passenger side bulb six months ago when it had went out but now the driver side has went out and it is **** near impossible to replace the bulb without removing the bumper.(insane)

I was able to remove the driver side bulb I thought I cannot plug in the new bulb. There is just no room at all. I even created in 3D printed some specialty tools to try to help plug the wire into the bulb since you cannot reach it with your hands.

Then last night I realized that the passenger side bulb is out again now....

So since I'm going to have to remove the bumper in order to get to the driver's side low beam HID bulb, I'm thinking I should just convert them to LEDs and be done with it. This is crazy having to remove the bumper to replace the headlight bulbs.

There are a bunch of d1s to LED headlights on amazon. My question is, do I need to install some power resistors or capacitors when converting this car to LED low beams?

When I changed my Honda Accord brake lights to LEDs I had to install resistors so the car did not warn me that brake lights were out.

What is weird is that my mother's Optima does not warn you when the headlights are out....

Any info would be appreciated thank you

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,675 Posts
Hello & welcome to the Optima Forums.

Going from a factory HID headlight with headlamps designed for HID to an LED headlight would absolutely be a downgrade.

The HID bulbs on a Kia Optima re very finicky and the majority of cheap D1S bulbs will fail after just a few months of use on an Optima.

If you invest in a quality pair of HID D1S Bulbs, you will not have any issues, as they are properly designed to work with the vehicle.

I would recommend going with one of the two options below, which both include free shipping & a 2 year free replacement warranty.

Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store (Same brightness as stock OEM HID bulbs)

OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store (20% brighter than the stock OEM HID bulbs)

Just let me know if you haver any questions about either.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima Hybrid
2 Posts
My mother has a 2014 Kia Optima EX Hybrid which has HID low beam headlights. Fortunately I was jut able to barely change the passenger side bulb six months ago when it had went out but now the driver side has went out and it is **** near impossible to replace the bulb without removing the bumper.(insane)

I was able to remove the driver side bulb I thought I cannot plug in the new bulb. There is just no room at all. I even created in 3D printed some specialty tools to try to help plug the wire into the bulb since you cannot reach it with your hands.

Then last night I realized that the passenger side bulb is out again now....

So since I'm going to have to remove the bumper in order to get to the driver's side low beam HID bulb, I'm thinking I should just convert them to LEDs and be done with it. This is crazy having to remove the bumper to replace the headlight bulbs.

There are a bunch of d1s to LED headlights on amazon. My question is, do I need to install some power resistors or capacitors when converting this car to LED low beams?

When I changed my Honda Accord brake lights to LEDs I had to install resistors so the car did not warn me that brake lights were out.

What is weird is that my mother's Optima does not warn you when the headlights are out....

Any info would be appreciated thank you
I have the same issue BIGJON, i have a 14 hybrid LX and almost every year "on the nose" the left bulb keeps burning out, i dont know if it's the cheap bulbs i bought from Amazon, but it is very hard to change the LEFT side, it can be done with smaller hands but will definitely get bruised and torn up; the RIGHT side is very easy if you take out (move out of the way) that overflow coolant container.

I'm also looking to change to LEDs, hoping they would last longer or forever.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,675 Posts
I don't know if it's the cheap bulbs i bought from Amazon
This 100% is what the issue is. Cheaper HID bulbs are not designed to work with Kia's PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) built into the electrical system, and therefore, after a couple of months one of the 2 lights will not come on when you turn on the headlights, and after flicking the switch a few times, you can sometimes get them both to come on.

Replace them with a set of quality HID bulbs that are less than 30% of the price of the factory HID bulbs, and you'll be good to go for years.

The bulbs we sell are not even that expensive and are guaranteed for 2 years of usage under warranty.

Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store (Same brightness as stock OEM HID bulbs)

I'm also looking to change to LEDs, hoping they would last longer or forever.
Changing from a factory HID setup with projector headlights, to some form of LED D1S bulbs would 100% be a downgrade from what the car originally came with from the factory.

A lot of people get confused about this since there is so much news about LED headlights everywhere.

If you compare (2) new vehicles that come from the factory, one with HIDs and one with LEDs, the one with LEDs would outrival the one with HIDs.

However, when taking an older car model that came equipped with HID from the factory, and you convert it over to LED, it would be less bright than the original setup with HID came new from Kia.

Hope that makes sense and helps a bit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts