Kia Optima Forums banner

2014 HID (D1S) Headlight Bulb Replacement

50K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  K5 Optima Store 
#1 ·
OK, so I know many on here have changed out their HID (D1S) bulbs on their 2011-2013 Optimas, but has anyone on here w/ a 2014 done this, yet? I'm curious to see if there is any differences between the 2014s and the eariler models' housing assemblies... specifically, the metal bracket that holds the bulb in place within the headlight assembly/dust cover. A friend and I tried yesterday to unclamp the one on my car and it wouldn't budge. I attempted to take it to the local "stealership" to see if they'd install it for me (thinking they'd have the expertise or a special tool to disengage the clamp), and they told me over the phone they could do it for $40 (20/bulb). Once I got there, they said... "we gotta take the bumper off and remove the light assembly and that'll cost a couple hours of labor, etc..." I said, "F-you very much!" and left.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I know what and how to do the bulb exchange w/o having to take off my bumper/light assemblies (remove battery and move coolant reservoir out of the way of both sides' light assemblies), but what was causing the headache was this little bracket holding the bulbs in place. Can anyone who's done this already please look at the pic below and tell me what the trick is??? This is a pic of the passenger side w/ the dust cover removed, for your reference.

Thanks in advance!!

Vehicle Auto part Car Technology Automotive exterior

See less See more
#2 ·
Seriously?!?! 52 views and not one comment, yet... not even from stoli or DINO?!?! ****, I must be losing my clout around this place!!! LOL!

Anyway... to the top! :)

#4 ·
Lmao, I saw it but mine D1S clip seems to be different and didn't want to sound like an ass lol. I must have changed out like 4 sets of these bulbs already and it only takes me around 20 min or so with the battery and the water tank out. Sorry I couldn't help you on this as it looks different than what I have but should be very similar though. Unless you have fat fingers then tough break :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
I just realized this pic was upside down when it uploaded. Odd. Sorry about that, but the stupid firewalls here at work aren't cooperating w/ this site, so I can't fix it from here.

#11 ·
I'll give that another try. I'm pretty sure we tried that, but it'll have to wait a few days, as I'm working all weekend. I'll let ya know if I make any progress.

Lol, you're a trooper NOVA and with all joking aside I hope its not that difficult for you to undo them. Are you planning to use CBI Osram bulbs? Those bulbs are good $hit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks, DINO... nothing really gets to me, believe it or not. I just like throwing spears back and having fun with it when they're lobbed my way. That's why I called you and stoli out above.... I knew it would make for some fun banter for a few posts! :)

Shoulda kept the 13 :rolleyes:
Nah... in all seriousness, given the few quirks of the '14 (not so real DRLs and this stupid clip), I still think the pros of the 14 totally outweigh the pros of the 13 SXL I had! :)

#12 ·
ive changed the bulb for 2014 before, but from halogen to hid, not from d1s hid to aftermarket d1s hid.

seems like the halogen bulb only needs a "twist" to open, but replacing the halogen with hid (H7) needs a minor modification to hold the bulb in place.

therefore im thinking that d1s should be more or less, maybe pressing it down and twist is counter clockwise..? i havent started an experiment with d1s equipped 2014,

#13 ·
Thanks for the input and idea, Gee... it's been too cold here to deal with this the last few days, so hopefully I'll get a chance to mess with it some next week when things are "supposed to" warm up.

#16 ·
"Shouldn't" being the operative word there... LOL! It's warming up now, so I'm gonna try to do this again over the weekend. Hopefully, that clip will budge this time. More to follow! :)

#18 ·
Thanks, me too. If not... guess I'll have some 6K D1S's for sale soon. LOL!

#25 · (Edited)
I'm struggling with this exact thing today. Don't want to force anything so before I end up breaking something I figured Id consult with the Hive Mind. Any success Nova?

****updated****

Actually just needed a little more push on the rear and a small screw driver to pry out just slightly the side strap. Easy actually once its was figured out. 5000K bulbs Look fantastic!

#26 ·
Just installed my 6000k into my 2014, and while its my first time replacing HID's, those clips definitely were subborn. Especially on the driver's side where the fuse box can get in the way of getting some good leverage to both push the retaining clip in towards the front of the car, but also to get a screwdriver or prying device in as well, to pop the clip loose.

As much of a pain in the ass it was...the new lights look really good. Exactly the look I was going after.

#30 ·
I am in this same predicament, and after seeing the link above thought my problems were solved!! But the link does not work. Does anyone have a good tutorial (preferably with photos, or even a video) on how to get these clips off? 2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo - HID lamps. I am running out of patience. Dealer this morning told me it was $285 for just ONE bulb, then labor on top of that. That's freakin absurd. Anyway, look forward to someone sharing some info. thanks in advance!!

#31 ·
Hello,

Welcome to the Optima Forums!

This thread is from 5 years ago, so probably won't get much of a response from here.

However, we do sell HID replacement D1S bulbs for a fraction of the price of the dealership.

Check out the two options below and let us know if you have any questions about the bulbs.

Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store (Same brightness as stock, but only $74.95 shipped)

OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store 20% brighter than the stock OEM bulbs)

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

-David

#34 ·
OK, so I know many on here have changed out their HID (D1S) bulbs on their 2011-2013 Optimas, but has anyone on here w/ a 2014 done this, yet? I'm curious to see if there is any differences between the 2014s and the eariler models' housing assemblies... specifically, the metal bracket that holds the bulb in place within the headlight assembly/dust cover. A friend and I tried yesterday to unclamp the one on my car and it wouldn't budge. I attempted to take it to the local "stealership" to see if they'd install it for me (thinking they'd have the expertise or a special tool to disengage the clamp), and they told me over the phone they could do it for $40 (20/bulb). Once I got there, they said... "we gotta take the bumper off and remove the light assembly and that'll cost a couple hours of labor, etc..." I said, "F-you very much!" and left.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I know what and how to do the bulb exchange w/o having to take off my bumper/light assemblies (remove battery and move coolant reservoir out of the way of both sides' light assemblies), but what was causing the headache was this little bracket holding the bulbs in place. Can anyone who's done this already please look at the pic below and tell me what the trick is??? This is a pic of the passenger side w/ the dust cover removed, for your reference.

Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 80673
[/QU

Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 80673
Have you or anybody found out how to replace this.? I’m having this same specific problem and I’m trying to figure out how to take that out and replace it. If you or anybody you know has replaced it or sent you a video on how to replace it. Could you please guide me and show me.

#35 ·

Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 80673
Might be 7yrs too late, but changing my 2015 HID out and finding the SXL is different than the typical change out that you see so many videos for. But this bracket has holes that attach to these latches on the sides. If you push the flat plate of the bracket closest to you in towards the light then turn it will pop off the latch on one side and the other comes off other latch without the tension on it. It appears U shape once it comes out with the holes on the ends that attach to protruding latches that attach in the middle of the U shape. Now getting them back on is a whole other story. It's easiest to access behind the headlight taking the coolant tank and battery off so you can see what you're doing if it's housed similarly to 2015.

#36 ·
You guys are over thinking this clip. It's actually very easy to undo with a flat head screw driver. The key is not to pry. Slide screw driver vertically along the side the the bulb casing to the base of the clip. Push screw driver down on the clip to release tension then just flick outwards. No prying at all, you are not sliding the screw driver in behind the tab that looks the clip in place. You are using the screw driver to push the clip down then flicking outwards. Once you understand this it's very easy. Changed both headlights in 20 mins from hid to new Leds that are ballast compatible, direct fit plug and play. Most of the time was spent removing battery and coolant reservoir. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.