Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember ever complaining about our 2014 headlights when it was new, but I didn't drive it much. Now my kid is driving it, and he complained about them, and I drove it a few times at night and they really do suck, like not really illuminating at all. One headlight cover is glazed over, but the other is still clear. From the outside, they LOOK bright, like they're both working properly, they just don't light the road very well (any more).

76k miles, and I think the bulbs are original. Do the original bulbs degrade after a while, and what is a preferred upgrade?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
There was a known issue, but I forget which model years.

The chrome coating surrounding the bulb, on the reflector part, would degrade and peel off.

So if you have this problem, you only get a small part of the light out the front, because the majority emitted by the bulb is being absorbed instead of reflected.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX-L
2 Posts
I don't remember ever complaining about our 2014 headlights when it was new, but I didn't drive it much. Now my kid is driving it, and he complained about them, and I drove it a few times at night and they really do suck, like not really illuminating at all. One headlight cover is glazed over, but the other is still clear. From the outside, they LOOK bright, like they're both working properly, they just don't light the road very well (any more).

76k miles, and I think the bulbs are original. Do the original bulbs degrade after a while, and what is a preferred upgrade?
I have 2013 optima SXL having the same problem , the interior of the projector thats foil is coming apart and it not projecting the light off it proper , i try changing 3 different D1S hid buld and the out come is the same , and ive been searching if anyone had to replace the inside projector before?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX-L
2 Posts
There was a known issue, but I forget which model years.

The chrome coating surrounding the bulb, on the reflector part, would degrade and peel off.

So if you have this problem, you only get a small part of the light out the front, because the majority emitted by the bulb is being absorbed instead of reflected.
Your right becuase its doing it to mine when i put an air hose and blow it out all i see the reflector foil came out.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
Unfortunately, this issue with the TSB only affected the 2011-2013 Kia Optima models.

The 2014-2015 models received different headlamps installed from the factory that were not affected by this issue.

@brider assuming you have factory haloggen bulbs installed, and not factory HIDs, we do have several plug & play options to upgrade the lighting on your 2014 Optima so your kid has better visibility at night.

Here is an option for HID & LED, both of which are plug & play and require no modification to the vehicle.

1) Morimoto Elite Complete HID Conversion Kits - K5 Optima Store

2) 6,000 Lumen CREE LED Headlight or Fog Light Kit - K5 Optima Store

Please feel free to reach out with any questions you have before ordering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts