Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has always been noisy. From the day I got it, to now, it has been noisy. My sisters forte she bought at the same time in 2014, was quieter and 10k cheaper. I used to complain about it but sort of got used to it, turning the radio up. The noise though has continued to grow. At this point, the rattling from the trunk is constant. I have changed the shocks and the mounts. I did the sway bar links this weekend. I am being drove mad with the noise.

I had someone sit in the backseat with the seat down to the trunk. They said they don't think the noise is coming from outside the trunk, but rather rattling within the trunk itself. ???

Has anyone else experienced this, and how did you fix it?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,101 Posts
maybe there is a loose part in the wheel well, that pit in the base of the trunk? Maybe your jack or inflator is loose and jiggling around, or maybe a loose rock fell into the base of the pit. You have to lift the trunk liner to see underneath, what might be in there.

When I bought my used car, there were a handful of little pellets in mine that made a strange sound when driving. Not sure what the previous owner was doing with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should of added that I have gutted my trunk out completely. I have always thought the noise was because I had a full size 18inch spare in the trunk. Over the years, I have had rubber type floor mat under/around my spare trying to quiet it. I also tried blankets under/around the wheel as well. I just figured that was the noise. I took the spare out to see if that was where noise was coming from. It was not. I did replace some of the plastic tacks that hold pieces together that have broken over the years, to check if those were a noise issue also.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,101 Posts
Is there any way to reproduce the sound when the car is parked? Like, can you stand on the rear bumper/trunk and bounce the car up and down to hear the sound?

Or jack up the rear wheels, and then strongly shake the wheels/suspension. You can also use a pry bar to try moving the various suspension components to check for free play where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mystery rattles are a pain. Most mentioned the suspension but another thing to check is the exhaust. Given that it runs almost the entire lenght of the car it is important to check the entire system. Your trunk area acts like a big drum or amplifier the source of the noise could be at the front. Check every single component especially the rubber hangers. Another thing is to gut you trunk, and mount a gopro or you cell to record the sound it might help better identify where the sound is coming from

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
264 Posts
The car has always been noisy. ..At this point, the rattling from the trunk is constant. ..
Just yesterday I saw a 3rd gen optima driving on a highway ahead of me. I noticed something hanging from the lower left rear, drove closer and it was the left side sway bar, disconnected most likely because the bolt securing it fell off. I thought what poor quality control that a sway bar bolt gets loose on its own and falls off. This was hanging about 5 inches on the far left of the sway bar away from where it should be connected. Can be a little dangerous in that the vehicle will lean more than normal (with it connected).

OP - Take a look underneath, anything obviously loose suspension wise back there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed the sway bar links. I had bought them when I changed out the suspension at 150k. They were a pain to get off. I guess it is good that I had so many problems getting them off. I now have air tools.... Those nuts were not coming off without an impact on my car. That didn't fix it. I put KY shocks on 47k miles ago. I checked them and one did feel easier to push in vs the other. I ordered two new ones from rock auto as they are under warranty. Amazingly.... A lot of the noise stopped. but there was still a mouse from the trunk. I shook and messed with everything. So then I put someone in the trunk. It WAS the trunk!!!!! The shock was bad, but it was my trunk. I found two little rubber stops on the trunk. I screwed them out to their max I can unscrew them and almost all the noise is gone. Ffs.... This was a huge pain.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
264 Posts
Gotcha. By unscrewing those rubber bumpers (one each each corner closest to you right?), did it leave the trunk even with the surrounding metal? Trunk lid hardware tight? buy yeah glad it helped so far, seems annoying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is still a little bit of play/wiggle in the lid. So I have a tiny bit of noise. But it is nothing compared the roaring rattle that was going on over every tiny little bump that rattled the entire car. The shock was deff shot on one side, so that didn't help. I take my car to KIA for service since it was one of the blown up motor ones and I am paranoid about it, so when she goes back, I will have them check out Pretty Blue's trunk and see what they say.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,124 Posts
Hmmm wonder if it was a cost-savings decision as to why later-gen (or at least 4th-gen) Optima trunks use torsion bars instead of struts/springs...

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is still a little bit of play/wiggle in the lid. So I have a tiny bit of noise. But it is nothing compared the roaring rattle that was going on over every tiny little bump that rattled the entire car. The shock was deff shot on one side, so that didn't help. I take my car to KIA for service since it was one of the blown up motor ones and I am paranoid about it, so when she goes back, I will have them check out Pretty Blue's trunk and see what they say.
A good reputable body shop will have more experience with properly adjusting body panels, doors, trunks, etc. The also have the tools and parts. Unless your dealer has a onsite body shop, have a body shop take a look first. It shouldn't take a qualified body guy more than 10 min to see whats up and properly adjust it. (Cheaper too body labor is about half of mechanical labour)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts