Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an Optima 2013 optima turbo with a Infinity sound system. I’m looking to upgrade all the possible speakers to have a better louder and better sound quality. For some reason i just realized that my door speakers are base only, while the three on the dashboard are voice. Also realized that Each speaker is connected by using this white plastic connector on it. Is this posible ? What are the sizes of each speakers and do I have upgrade the factory amp if i get to upgrade the speakers? Is it plug and play or not that easy as I think Thank you!!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
14 Posts
You're correct, Optima's with the Infinity system are setup with woofers in the doors, midrange/tweeters up on the dash and rear deck lid, and the subwoofer on the decklid. They also use the white molded connectors. If you want to replace the speakers, you can put 6-1/2" full-range speakers in place of the door woofers, but the built in crossover on the factory amp will still only send low-frequency to them, so they just won't use the built in tweeter basically. To connect new speakers, you can just snip off the connector to get to bare wire, but I suggest leaving yourself enough spare wire on the connector to splice it back on if you ever want to revert. This means you'll likely need to splice on some extra speaker wire to reach the replacement speakers. Replacing the factory speakers on the dash may be a bit of a challenge. You'll likely be better off buying an aftermarket component speaker setup with separate woofer and tweeter, but their frequency response may not line up with the factory crossover settings to sound ideal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you explain to me what a crossover is and why the future speakers will receive a low frequency? Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
14 Posts
A crossover is a device that separates frequencies from whatever you're listening to and sends them to different speakers. Big woofers are best at reproducing low frequencies, medium size speakers and small tweeters are best at reproducing mid and high frequencies. So the song you're listening to, the radio sends the full range of frequencies to the crossover first, then the crossover and amplifier sends the real low frequency stuff (the "feel it in your chest" beats) to the subwoofer, stuff a bit higher frequency (bass guitar, deep vocals, etc) to the woofer in the door, then the mids and highs (normal voices, cymbals, etc) to the small speakers up on the dash.

So if you put a typical full range speaker in the door (woofer with a tweeter mounted in the center) it's definitely capable of playing the full range of sound, but the crossover has only sent it the lower frequency sounds because it was designed for a speaker that's only good at those lower frequencies. Here's a diagram:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. So, basically the interior speakers set up was only designed to work that way due to how the crossover is working and sending the signals. If the crossover will only send specific frequencies to specific positions (speaker locations), then the only option I have is to upgrade the speaker but within the same category. For example, speakers on the dashboard are tweeters and mid, then I will look for tweeters and mid speakers with more capacity or more power; same for woofer and so on. Does that makes sense then?

·
Registered
15' K5 SXL
4 Posts
I see. So, basically the interior speakers set up was only designed to work that way due to how the crossover is working and sending the signals. If the crossover will only send specific frequencies to specific positions (speaker locations), then the only option I have is to upgrade the speaker but within the same category. For example, speakers on the dashboard are tweeters and mid, then I will look for tweeters and mid speakers with more capacity or more power; same for woofer and so on. Does that makes sense then?
Interested in this as well

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
14 Posts
For example, speakers on the dashboard are tweeters and mid, then I will look for tweeters and mid speakers with more capacity or more power; same for woofer and so on. Does that makes sense then?
Yes and no. Looking for speakers of the same type is a good idea, if you google "component speakers" you'll get tons of results of car speakers with separate woofers and tweeters. Most come with their own crossover which you simply won't use, since the car has its own built in. Your statement about "more capacity or more power" doesn't really apply. Speakers don't dictate power, the amplifier does. The Kia Infinity sound system comes with a pretty decent JBL amplifier (JBL is owned by the same company that owns Infinity, Harmon International). What you're looking for is just a better quality speaker unless you're looking at completely removing the factory amplifier to add your own, in which case this becomes an entirely different conversation haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried replacing the dash speakers with ones I bought from Crutchfield (Kenwoods) and failed miserably - ended up returning them after a bunch of time on the phone. Tried with and without the crossover as well as using and bypassing the existing connection. Sounded like c**p.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From my personal experience, if you don't know what you are doing let a professional do it. Back when I had a Mustang, I spent $1300 on a complete sound system. They matched everything perfectly! Tuner, ft. tweeters, mid range, mid bass, woofers, amp with ample power, crossover, and a professional look. You couldn't tell anything was changed besides the tuner mounted in the dash. Best sounding system I've ever had. But the mustang is long gone now... :cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts