Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice, my 2013 Kia Optima Ex motor (2.4l) is getting a new crate motor due to the engine knock sensor under the recall.
Will I have to do a brake in period or is it like the motors that come on the lot at the dealership.
Just looking for some sound advice.
Kinda impressed as the car had 154,00 km on the old motor when it started letting go.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
That's not even 100,000 miles and any quality engine should last double that mileage, but I wouldn't do any pedal to the metal tests until after 500 miles and change the oil/filter early, maybe 1000/1500 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but it was for a recall item that caused the motor to fail, normally I was told by the dealership that they rebuild it, but they're installing a new engine.
But thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
I understand, Kia just replaced the 2.0T engine in our '11, 172,000 miles 2 weeks ago.
Fine so far and good luck with yours.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
I agree with @Turbonut about the 500-mile break-in period. It's sad yours kicked the bucket before 100k miles. Our 2015 just hit 105k yesterday and we have had any issues yet (most 2015s weren't apart of the recall but we've received letters in the mail for our car for an ECU engine knock upgrade)...If the engine does decide to kick the bucket then, hopefully, it'll be covered by some warranty....but our 2015 has some of the weirdest issues, a few days ago I put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't start, I removed the key and re-inserted it and it fired right up, hasn't happened since. If I was you or anyone who's car needed an engine replacement I'd be a little weary about it..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts