Kia Optima Forums banner

2013 Optima SXL STOCK HID headlight replacement directions

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  K5 Optima Store 
#1 ·
Hi guys - Can ANYONE point me in the right direction of where to find the directions for how to replace the SXL stock HID bulb (driver's side)? Please guys, if you're going to hit me with snark, or the typical, you can find it in the threads stuff, b/c I have looked, and looked, and there is nothing (for 2013 Optima SXL), please do not reply. Anyone referencing the directions form the K5 store are incorrect, as I have checked.

The owner's manual NEVER even mentions anything about the SXL trim for headlight bulb replacement, which would have told me that there is a screw holding the dust cover on, and a certain kind of screwdriver is needed to get it off. Does anyone know where these instructions are? Once more, just trying to replace the STOCK HID headlamp bulb that came from the factory with an identical OEM bulb. Not upgrading, not converting from halogen....thanks guys!

#2 ·
When I did this fix, I used a phillips bit, like you use in screwdrivers. You just need to use a little wrench to rotate it. It's a pain but gets the job done.

I had a stubby phillips screwdriver but it wouldn't fit. I might have posted about this, but I don't remember. After you get the dust cover off, it will be helpful to use a cell phone to photograph the inside, so you can see how the metal latch mechanism works, and how to also unplug the connector after you unlatch it.

#3 ·
Anyone referencing the directions form the K5 store are incorrect, as I have checked.
What are you talking about exactly? We don't have any instructions on how to change out an HID D1S bulb on our website.

The bulb is plug and play and while it may be a PITA to remove the retaining clip holding it in place, there aren't any special instructions I am aware of.

What are you saying is incorrect on our site?

These are the only (2) products on our website pertaining to D1S Bulbs, and as you can see, neither product pages mention any installation instructions.

Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store

OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store

#5 ·
What are you talking about exactly? We don't have any instructions on how to change out an HID D1S bulb on our website.

The bulb is plug and play and while it may be a PITA to remove the retaining clip holding it in place, there aren't any special instructions I am aware of.

What are you saying is incorrect on our site?

These are the only (2) products on our website pertaining to D1S Bulbs, and as you can see, neither product pages mention any installation instructions.

Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store
OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store
K5 Optima Store folks - please simmer down!. I was not saying you guys were purporting to have the directions or something was incorrect directly from you, but from my research on this forum, there are folks that direct ppl to your site for directions on how to swap out the old stock HIDs (as if they were OEM directions).

I was getting frustrated due to the fact that the owner's manual, youtube videos, or even folks at the dealership (outside of the actual technician that knows/works on the car, but you only talk to service advisors and parts dept. receptionist until you get there) knew nothing of the specifics of replacing the STOCK HID on a 2013 Optima SXL. There is a retaining screw (not the clip holding the bulb in) for the dust cover that is never mentioned anywhere EVER in any literature (except for KingFatty's response), and it's not easy to get to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.