Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
'MURICA
2013 Kia Optima
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, short of going through all the search options where/what did you get for your pads/rotor replacements?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Plenty to choose from, go to RockAuto and take your pick. I've had drilled & slotted rotors which I detested,
so stick with the non drilled/slotted type.
I have a 5% discount on parts, but heed to get the code from the PC which I'll post later.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I now stay away from Rock Auto brake rotors but they have plenty of factory-brand pads which I do buy. I buy rotors from Napa or other reputable stores. The RA rotors warp quickly and the slotted ones are junk.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
I now stay away from Rock Auto brake rotors but they have plenty of factory-brand pads which I do buy. I buy rotors from Napa or other reputable stores. The RA rotors warp quickly and the slotted ones are junk.
First, brake rotors don't warp! You're buying junk pads.

Second, RA has rotors by Bendix, Wagner, Centric, Bosch, Brembo, Raybestos, Power Stop, etc and priced from $6 to $60 each, so if one can't find a quality rotor????????

Not trying to start a debate, but just wanted to air my side of the equation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First, brake rotors don't warp! You're buying junk pads.

Second, RA has rotors by Bendix, Wagner, Centric, Bosch, Brembo, Raybestos, Power Stop, etc and priced from $6 to $60 each, so if one can't find a quality rotor????????
I bought a Powerstop kot
Not trying to start a debate, but just wanted to air my side of the equation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a heavy duty Powerstop front kit for my '06 Accord and I didn't like the shudder they had in damp weather. I replaced the pads with factory Akebono brand and that solved the shuddering. I gave the car to my sister and she ended up replacing the rotors due to a pulsating pedal.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
I bought a heavy duty Powerstop front kit for my '06 Accord and I didn't like the shudder they had in damp weather. I replaced the pads with factory Akebono brand and that solved the shuddering. I gave the car to my sister and she ended up replacing the rotors due to a pulsating pedal.
Over the years, rotor warpage is a term used by most mechanics as they either have no idea what the cause, or they don't want to get involved
in explaining the situation to the customer. Personally, I believe that they have no idea of the cause, so it's a warped rotor, ridiculous.
Yes, the pedal will pulsate, but it is do to pad buildup on the rotor surface making it uneven.
I actually have metallic pads in the garage, so that when the pulsation begins I install those pads and in a day the pulsation is gone.
I then reinstall the OEM type pads until the next time.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,145 Posts
Is it possible over time for rust to develop between the rotor and the hub, that might just barely tilt the rotor to where you can feel it? Like if rust formed more in one area than another between the surfaces?

If so, I'm wondering if the solution would be to remove the rotor from the hub, and use a metal brush to make sure the surfaces are clean and the rotor can lay perfectly flat?

Sorry I'm just speculating

·
'MURICA
2013 Kia Optima
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all it's a start

·
'MURICA
2013 Kia Optima
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
First off hello everyone (i have decided to keep my optima 😂 no more blown engines so far). Literally did my cvaxle and front brakes today so wanted to share a few things

Straight to the point: I use R1 concept for my rotors (drilled and slotted), pads are iffy so i get them through autozone with the free warranty replacement when they wear down. Got front rotors for roughly $108 with a sale that was on during memorial day. 👌

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll try wire brushing the rotors the next time I experience pedal pulsation. Nothing to lose...
Probably do to them being warped (when they get hot, try to keep them away from water aka rain puddles and car washes till they cool). Best bet is to replace if drilled/slotted or cut/resurface if solid and fairly new/above discard level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Probably do to them being warped (when they get hot, try to keep them away from water aka rain puddles and car washes till they cool). Best bet is to replace if drilled/slotted or cut/resurface if solid and fairly new/above discard level.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that they could deform by going through a deep puddle. Not like my RWD MK VII.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts