Kia Optima Forums banner

2013 Optima LX - where to tap parking lights

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  tonester 
#1 ·
Looking to rewire my fogs as drl with turn on power for relay from parking lights. Is there some where in cabin I can splice from rather than at the parking lights themselves? This way an just t-tap and I not be exposed to elements.
Want from parking light circuit as don't want the fogs lit when starting the car or while parked. If some one could direct wire location and color that would be appreciated.
Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Negative parking lights can be found at the headlight switch. It's pink in a white 13 pin plug, pin 1. To reach it, you must pop off the steering wheel shroud. In order to use this, you will need a relay to turn it into a positive signal.

If you want positive parking lights, it can be found in the dash fuse box, and each side has an individual wire. They are both in a black 39 pin plug, pins 11 and 24. The wire colors are green/black (L); brown/black (R).

#11 ·
Here is a more recent US NHTSA study on DRL effectiveness from 2008, which follows two earlier studies.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029

It seems that maybe there is a type of accident where DRLs can help. Here are some cherry-picked quotes from the study:

DRLs significantly reduced the LTVs’ involvement in daytime target Two-PV crashes by 5.7 percent at the 0.05 level.
For LTVs, DRL effects were progressively higher with crash severity and the effects were all positive. It seems that DRLs were more likely to reduce LTV involvements in daytime target Two-PV crashes.
DRLs seemed to reduce the LTVs’ involvement in daytime target crashes by 5.1 percent. The effect was borderline statistically significant at the 0.05 level.
And those **** Europeans:
A majority of the European studies consistently found that a DRL law was associated with a reduction in crashes. The effects varied from 4 percent to 27 percent depending on crash type, crash severity, season, roadway conditions, and light conditions. The DRL effects found in the U.S. studies were less consistent and more uncertain.
Useless Canadians:
Sparks’ 1993 study20 which examined Canadian government fleet data found that DRLs reduced twilight, two-vehicle crashes by 15 percent. The effect was statistically significant. Two reports produced by Transport Canada also showed positive DRL effects. Of these, Arora et al.21 concluded in 1994 that DRLs significantly reduced daytime two-vehicle opposite direction crashes by 8 percent. Tofflemire and Whitehead22 in 1997 reanalyzed the Canadian DRL law and found that DRLs reduced opposite direction and angle crashes by 5.3 percent. The result was also statistically significant.
I know that for motorcycles, they are required to keep the headlight on for making other drivers more likely to see the oncoming motorcycle, because without the headlight the bike just disappears into the background.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.