Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm an ASE master technician and my wife had the same issue with her Kia Optima Hybrid. No brakes at all and almost crashed. There was no failsafe for the brakes. Luckily she was smart enough to use the parking brake to slow down and coast to the shoulder. I researched it and replaced the HPU ( Hydraulic Pressure Unit). So far the brakes have not acted up but I'm still getting the Check Brakes warning and the red brake light is on. The codes that I'm getting now are different than the original code I had. Original code was C1237, new codes are C1702 and C1236. When I installed the HPU the service manual said the only other thing I had to do was calibrate the brake pressure sensor which I did. I also bled the brakes a few times. Brake pedal is normal. I think the HPU has to be programmed by the dealership. Everytime I have replaced a brake module or Engine control module they have to be programmed. My Wife is taking the car to the Kia dealership tomorrow for a recall and we are going to get or see if they can program the HPU. I will let you know how it goes!
Did you find out anything?

I’ve got a 2017 Optima hybrid PHEV and about every 4-5 weeks it goes crazy with the following codes while driving
  • C164608 CAN Message Failure
  • C224308 Gear Fault
  • C135B08 HCU Torque Control Unavailable for SCC
It will let me drive about a mile until it disable my gas pedal and I have to coast to a stop. I put it in park, turn the car off, and turn it back on and it’s like nothing happened. The codes show up on my Kia app but they are not saved on the car itself. So when I bring it to the dealership they can’t see the codes and they can’t re-create it because it’s so rarely happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone found the solution to this problem? Currently experiencing this exact problem with my son's car. Originally it would happen every now and then and typically when it was really cold. Two days ago it began again but would not stop. The car had to be towed and is still undiagnosed. Please reply if anyone has ever figured this out. Thank you
Yl
Has anyone found the solution to this problem? Currently experiencing this exact problem with my son's car. Originally it would happen every now and then and typically when it was really cold. Two days ago it began again but would not stop. The car had to be towed and is still undiagnosed. Please reply if anyone has ever figured this out. Thank you
It was the abs control module fix the issue right away so grateful cause I love my car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I was driving my Optima on the road and when I got to a stop light, my "Hybrid System Warning! Safely stop and Do not Drive" message popped up and alternated with a "Check Brake" message. I lost all brake pressure and the car sputtered. The car quickly gained brake pressure and the warning message went away as the light turned green. But as I accelerated around the turn, it popped up again. I sputtered the car for a about a 1 mile where I could pull over into a parking lot.

I waited there looking up this issue online. One person suggested unplugging the battery for a minute and reconnecting. I'm not sure if that fixed, the problem but the car worked with no issues for my car ride home (about 5 miles).

I have an appointment at a Kia dealership tomorrow morning, but am hesitant to drop it off because of the last "Hybrid System Warning!" (different issue. car shut off and didn't start that time) message that popped up a couple years ago. They wanted to charge me $6000 for a transmission that I didn't need. $140 in fuses fixed that problem.

I'm in a different city so I don't know any reliable mechanics around me; which is why I contacted the dealer. Anyone here know what the problem could be?
Abs control module is bad

21 - 25 of 25 Posts