Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm an ASE master technician and my wife had the same issue with her Kia Optima Hybrid. No brakes at all and almost crashed. There was no failsafe for the brakes. Luckily she was smart enough to use the parking brake to slow down and coast to the shoulder. I researched it and replaced the HPU ( Hydraulic Pressure Unit). So far the brakes have not acted up but I'm still getting the Check Brakes warning and the red brake light is on. The codes that I'm getting now are different than the original code I had. Original code was C1237, new codes are C1702 and C1236. When I installed the HPU the service manual said the only other thing I had to do was calibrate the brake pressure sensor which I did. I also bled the brakes a few times. Brake pedal is normal. I think the HPU has to be programmed by the dealership. Everytime I have replaced a brake module or Engine control module they have to be programmed. My Wife is taking the car to the Kia dealership tomorrow for a recall and we are going to get or see if they can program the HPU. I will let you know how it goes!
Did you find out anything?

I’ve got a 2017 Optima hybrid PHEV and about every 4-5 weeks it goes crazy with the following codes while driving
  • C164608 CAN Message Failure
  • C224308 Gear Fault
  • C135B08 HCU Torque Control Unavailable for SCC
It will let me drive about a mile until it disable my gas pedal and I have to coast to a stop. I put it in park, turn the car off, and turn it back on and it’s like nothing happened. The codes show up on my Kia app but they are not saved on the car itself. So when I bring it to the dealership they can’t see the codes and they can’t re-create it because it’s so rarely happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone found the solution to this problem? Currently experiencing this exact problem with my son's car. Originally it would happen every now and then and typically when it was really cold. Two days ago it began again but would not stop. The car had to be towed and is still undiagnosed. Please reply if anyone has ever figured this out. Thank you
Yl
Has anyone found the solution to this problem? Currently experiencing this exact problem with my son's car. Originally it would happen every now and then and typically when it was really cold. Two days ago it began again but would not stop. The car had to be towed and is still undiagnosed. Please reply if anyone has ever figured this out. Thank you
It was the abs control module fix the issue right away so grateful cause I love my car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I was driving my Optima on the road and when I got to a stop light, my "Hybrid System Warning! Safely stop and Do not Drive" message popped up and alternated with a "Check Brake" message. I lost all brake pressure and the car sputtered. The car quickly gained brake pressure and the warning message went away as the light turned green. But as I accelerated around the turn, it popped up again. I sputtered the car for a about a 1 mile where I could pull over into a parking lot.

I waited there looking up this issue online. One person suggested unplugging the battery for a minute and reconnecting. I'm not sure if that fixed, the problem but the car worked with no issues for my car ride home (about 5 miles).

I have an appointment at a Kia dealership tomorrow morning, but am hesitant to drop it off because of the last "Hybrid System Warning!" (different issue. car shut off and didn't start that time) message that popped up a couple years ago. They wanted to charge me $6000 for a transmission that I didn't need. $140 in fuses fixed that problem.

I'm in a different city so I don't know any reliable mechanics around me; which is why I contacted the dealer. Anyone here know what the problem could be?
Abs control module is bad

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys will not believe this so my wife & I had the same exact problem Hybrid system warning safely stop and do not drive well it popped up the next day after we had 5 recalls fixed on our kia optima hybrid 2013! Check this out we contact kia they said maybe the battery so we replaced the trunk battery not the hybrid battery well the problem remained. So the next day we bring it inn they offered to waive the diagnosis fee & get my wife a Uber for the problem that occurred while she was driving with the kids in the car & the brakes going all the way to the ground & sounding like metal on routers along with dash warning. So the dealership runs the diagnostic & 3 codes popped up C1234, C1233, C1236. So after further review I denied Kia of paying them over 3,000 to fix what they said was the replacing AHB, HPU, & HPA assembly. Oh & they stated I'm sorry there are no recalls for this situation however I have a brother that's a mechanic & he stated kia has misinformed you to try to get you to pay for these parts that are part of the recall #21V331000, Service breaks hydraulic:Antilock/Traction/Control/Electronic limited slip:control unit module.........(Too sum it up the ABS Hydraulic Assembly) every part thats connected to the abs hydraulic assembly in kias words the fix is.... HECU,/ Hydraulic electronic control unit....... THEM BASTARDS KNOW THAT PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD COULD CRASH & PASS AWAY WHILE DRIVING & THERE CAR ACTS UP THAN THE HYBRID SYSTEM ⚠ WARNING SAFELY STOP AND PULL OVER SIGN POPS UP & THATS THE RECALL TO EVERYONE'S PROBLEM THE ABS HYDRAULIC FULL ASSEMBLY.. OBTAINING TO THE H.E.C.U/ RECALL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A full Assembly of the ABS Hydraulic assembly fixes the recall # 21V331000.......SO EVERYONES PROBLEM IS A KIA RECALL PROBLEM OBTAINING TOO (HECU) FIX FOR......(HYBRID SYSTEM ⚠ WARNING SAFELY STOP AND DO NOT DRIVE)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the internal leak that everyone is having in the matter of hybrid battery system warning safely stop and do not drive alert is the automatic breaking system dash board sign for the even bigger problem happening wich is what creates the electrical fault that could result to fire & is the recall number I stated above. Sounds like Kia it is either misinforming everyone & misleading everyone to avoid fixing out the whole ABS HYDRAULIC FULL ASSEMBLY in the matter of recall # 21V331000! I would suggest speaking with Kia service managers across the nation or world or wherever you live for a explanation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess what bud, I believe it! This is EXACTLY what happened to me a few weeks ago. AND exactly 1 year ago, which is when we replaced the non-hybrid battery, just as you did. I am now trying to go through Better Business Bureau to get this resolved. This is 100% a safety issue. This is 100% a recall that should have been touched on.
The code I show is C1604. You can follow this KIA Service Bulletin on NHSTA (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162044-0001.pdf) to see what should be replaced.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

You can see here that the 2013 model has PAGES on the NHTSA website complaining about this issue: 2013 KIA OPTIMA HYBRID | NHTSA Scroll down to complaints at the bottom of the page.

You can see here that they have ANOTHER recall (Recall No 20V519000) that clearly identifies that the HECU is at risk of being leaked on and shorted, potentially causing a fire.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Software

Looks like you and I have done the same extensive research, both to be stonewalled by KIA. I reached out to corporate to be told "sorry, out of warranty. Pay the $3550 to get it fixed." Which, may not even fix the vehicle.... Then KIA offered me $1,000 for the car. I have $135k miles and the luxury version of this car. Ridiculous.

Are you in the United States? Or California? By chance...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guess what bud, I believe it! This is EXACTLY what happened to me a few weeks ago. AND exactly 1 year ago, which is when we replaced the non-hybrid battery, just as you did. I am now trying to go through Better Business Bureau to get this resolved. This is 100% a safety issue. This is 100% a recall that should have been touched on.
The code I show is C1604. You can follow this KIA Service Bulletin on NHSTA (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162044-0001.pdf) to see what should be replaced.
View attachment 251640
You can see here that the 2013 model has PAGES on the NHTSA website complaining about this issue: 2013 KIA OPTIMA HYBRID | NHTSA Scroll down to complaints at the bottom of the page.

You can see here that they have ANOTHER recall (Recall No 20V519000) that clearly identifies that the HECU is at risk of being leaked on and shorted, potentially causing a fire.
View attachment 251641

Looks like you and I have done the same extensive research, both to be stonewalled by KIA. I reached out to corporate to be told "sorry, out of warranty. Pay the $3550 to get it fixed." Which, may not even fix the vehicle.... Then KIA offered me $1,000 for the car. I have $135k miles and the luxury version of this car. Ridiculous.

Are you in the United States? Or California? By chance...
Yes I am in the United States & California.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Modesto Kia in (209) California replied," Listen please what can I do to make things o.k. cause I do not want you to be angry with us?......I Replied," FIX our car that the recall is for on the 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid instead of trying to make us pay 3,000 for a fix thats recalled issues & after you guys bothered us out of our home with no problems for years too you guys mailing a paper to us having to do 3 recall fixes on our car than all of a sudden after you guys do your 3 recall fixes 2 days later my wife & kids almost crash from the hybrid system warning sign popping up & our car veering off the road almost to go over the divider than you guys offering us a Uber!!.....Modesto Kia Parts manager said LOOK I AM SORRY HONESTLY WE DO NOT HAVE ANYONE TO BILL FOR THE FIX DUE TO YES YOUR CAR IS ON THE 2013 RECALL FOR THE PROBLEM YOU ARE HAVING BUT KIA DID NOT PUT YOUR VEHICLES VIN # IN THE SYSTEM FOR THE RECALL SO THEREFORE I HAVE NO ONE TO BILL FOR THE FIX & YES THE PROBLEMS THAT YOUR CAR IS HAVING IS THE ISSUE WITHIN THE RECALL BUT WHO DO I BILL? ( managers words) (my words thank you this whole video conversation was recorded & filmed & with footage from not only the Manger but a employee too who the manager kept interrupting & trying to stop from him being honest on video!)

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,683 Posts
BUT KIA DID NOT PUT YOUR VEHICLES VIN # IN THE SYSTEM FOR THE RECALL
Call Kia corporate directly, NOT the dealership.

When you speak to Kia corporate:
1) Ask does my vehicle qualify for this recall? They should say yes, or give you more info as to why you don't qualify.
2) Tell them the local dealer says your vin isn't in the system for the recall
3) Ask why Kia didn't put my vehicle's VIN # in the system for the recall that I qualify for?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My abs module failed also in my 2013 hybrid but every dealership I called said that mine was not eligible for the recall the only thing with mine though I would constantly hear that ABS pump run even when the car was off like if I turn the car off got out of the car I would hear it constantly act like it's priming and it would do that for about 10 minutes after the car is off.

I just ended up pulling an ABS unit from a salvage unit as the part was quoted to me at over $3,000 haven't had any issues since I put the salvage Unit on but obviously it's running on borrowed time since I've pulled it from a salvage car so we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
2002 Mazda Protege5
8 Posts
Hello, looks like I'm in this cool club! 2013 Optima Hybrid, ~120k miles. I've been sensing an intermittent rattle, thought it might have been felt through the brake pedal. Now I've gotten the "Check Brake", "Hybrid System Warning! Safely Stop and Do not Drive" message. The rattle can occur when the car isn't running, sometimes it starts as soon as I unlock the car. I've been able to track it down, it's coming from the 55620-4U301 "Control Assembly". It's a series of pulses at maybe 15-20Hz that lasts for just under 4 seconds and it recurs at an interval of about 9 seconds. I had recall 21V-331 done a couple of months ago, but I remember sensing this before that. I just reached out to schedule an appointment, I'll try to follow up as things progress.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts