Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was driving my Optima on the road and when I got to a stop light, my "Hybrid System Warning! Safely stop and Do not Drive" message popped up and alternated with a "Check Brake" message. I lost all brake pressure and the car sputtered. The car quickly gained brake pressure and the warning message went away as the light turned green. But as I accelerated around the turn, it popped up again. I sputtered the car for a about a 1 mile where I could pull over into a parking lot.

I waited there looking up this issue online. One person suggested unplugging the battery for a minute and reconnecting. I'm not sure if that fixed, the problem but the car worked with no issues for my car ride home (about 5 miles).

I have an appointment at a Kia dealership tomorrow morning, but am hesitant to drop it off because of the last "Hybrid System Warning!" (different issue. car shut off and didn't start that time) message that popped up a couple years ago. They wanted to charge me $6000 for a transmission that I didn't need. $140 in fuses fixed that problem.

I'm in a different city so I don't know any reliable mechanics around me; which is why I contacted the dealer. Anyone here know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Welcome, and sorry I can't help as not familiar with the Hybrid, but as you have done, found info online related to the problem, but wait and see what the Stealership has to say and go from there.

·
Registered
2014 KIa Optima Hybrid
4 Posts
During the short time I have owned my Optima Hybrid, I have been amazed at the number of stories of owners being told by the dealership that they needed a very expensive fix for the "Hybrid System Warning" message followed by a shutdown of the vehicle and no restart. Particularly when there is a specific TSB on the issue. My replacement 150 amp fuse cost me about $40 for the Hyundai equivalent part.

But your issue is different. Your vehicle has restarted, which means it can't be the fuse. Do you have the capability to pull the codes from the vehicle? Might give you a better idea of the issue and possible solutions that don't involve the stealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
During the short time I have owned my Optima Hybrid, I have been amazed at the number of stories of owners being told by the dealership that they needed a very expensive fix for the "Hybrid System Warning" message followed by a shutdown of the vehicle and no restart. Particularly when there is a specific TSB on the issue. My replacement 150 amp fuse cost me about $40 for the Hyundai equivalent part.

But your issue is different. Your vehicle has restarted, which means it can't be the fuse. Do you have the capability to pull the codes from the vehicle? Might give you a better idea of the issue and possible solutions that don't involve the stealership.
I agree. This is the second "Hybrid System Warning" I received. A couple years ago it completely shut down and would not start up. The dealer wanted $6k for a new transmission. I took it to a reliable shop I knew of and they replaced a couple bad fuses.

Unfortunately, I moved to a new town and am unable to use the same mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I was driving my Optima on the road and when I got to a stop light, my "Hybrid System Warning! Safely stop and Do not Drive" message popped up and alternated with a "Check Brake" message. I lost all brake pressure and the car sputtered. The car quickly gained brake pressure and the warning message went away as the light turned green. But as I accelerated around the turn, it popped up again. I sputtered the car for a about a 1 mile where I could pull over into a parking lot.

I waited there looking up this issue online. One person suggested unplugging the battery for a minute and reconnecting. I'm not sure if that fixed, the problem but the car worked with no issues for my car ride home (about 5 miles).

I have an appointment at a Kia dealership tomorrow morning, but am hesitant to drop it off because of the last "Hybrid System Warning!" (different issue. car shut off and didn't start that time) message that popped up a couple years ago. They wanted to charge me $6000 for a transmission that I didn't need. $140 in fuses fixed that problem.

I'm in a different city so I don't know any reliable mechanics around me; which is why I contacted the dealer. Anyone here know what the problem could be?
UPDATE: The service department was unable to duplicate the problem. They ran all sorts of tests and found no issues with the car. They referred to their tech-line and nobody on that end was able to provide additional help. The only suggestion was to flush out the brake system. I'll get that done elsewhere for cheaper.

I guess im out $140 fee for diagnoses, even though they didn't diagnose anything. ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update?!
Same problem here. I get that alarm from time to time when the weather is very cold. I wounder if flushing out the brake system would solve the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Hey did you ever figure out that problem with your hybrid? I am facing the same exact problem and Kia wants to charge me 2718.20 to fix it. They say it’s a 2nd hydraulic module in my car that is not working. Do you have any more information on this problem???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anybody know why it would do this after changing front brake pads? Also replaced driver's side caliper.
Did
Any update?!
Same problem here. I get that alarm from time to time when the weather is very cold. I wounder if flushing out the brake system would solve the problem.

Did you ever figure out the reason I am also having this same warning light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did

I have a optima 2014 hade a same issue. Dealer could not found any wrong codes in system. But when I replaced back break pads problem is solved. Is going completely normal from last tre months.

Did you ever figure out the reason I am also having this same warning light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid with 130miles on it. one day I was driving down the road and notice the car started to slow way down and it popped up a message on the dash hybrid system warning . safely stop do not drive .check brake ..and I loss complete brake pressure and when I push the brakes they were grinding so bad and if I push the gas the car would not go at first it only occurred the one time and I almost got hit because of it now it's starting to do it every day maybe two or three times a day but if I pull over and turn the car off and back on it's fine for a while my brake pads are new I have no leaks because my master cylinder is full and I know it's not the transmission that has nothing to do with my brakes has anyone ever figured out what the issue is and if so could you please reply thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts