Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Optima hybrid EX. The buttons on the key fob work perfectly. The unlock/ lock button on the door handles work as well. When I get in the car and push the brake, you can hear the system make noise...when I push the start button it won't make the chime sound and the ready light won't come on even though the car actually starts. It won't let me shift out of park. If I use the shift lock release, I can drive the car as usual but my gas gauge, temp gauge, and hybrid battery gauge don't work. Even the cruise light doesn't come on but the cruise control works. The headlights work but the brights will not come on. Any ideas on what is wrong?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2013 Optima hybrid EX. The buttons on the key fob work perfectly. The unlock/ lock button on the door handles work as well. When I get in the car and push the brake, you can hear the system make noise...when I push the start button it won't make the chime sound and the ready light won't come on even though the car actually starts. It won't let me shift out of park. If I use the shift lock release, I can drive the car as usual but my gas gauge, temp gauge, and hybrid battery gauge don't work. Even the cruise light doesn't come on but the cruise control works. The headlights work but the brights will not come on. Any ideas on what is wrong?
Check the car's regular 12 volt battery I've had strange issues when the 12 volt battery died or was failing example I try to start my car and it would say check brakes or all kinds of other errors would appear when I tried to start the car until I replaced the 12 volt battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I took it to the dealer and they said it was the cluster. The cluster has nothing to do with the bright lights so I argued with the service manager and he pulled a technician into his office. The technician confirmed what I said. Now he said there is a 7.5 amp fuse that was blown...they replaced it and it blew immediately. They put a jumper wire in place of the fuse and the dash worked perfectly but something in the back of the car started smoking. They now agree with me that the cluster is fine, and that it's an electrical short that they are gonna hunt for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After $500 in diagnostic charge, found out it's the headlight leveling sensor shorting to ground. They want another $500 to fix it so I declined to get it fixed. I didn't know the car had that feature and won't miss it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts